Hipoint Firearms Forums > Archive > 2010 > Professional Ordinance AR 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
waj30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Professional Ordinance AR 15

Has anybody owned one.I know the company was brought out by Bushmaster in 2008,but I have a chance to trade a small trailer for one.I heard there were some issues with that brand.Any info out there ? Thanks

You win some you lose some but you got to get dressed for all of them !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
KCjeff

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: Professional Ordinance AR 15

I'm sure SW or someone else will chime in...he's pretty well schooled. He'll steer you in the right direction

Old 04-15-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
futuremodal

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I own one.

I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it with no issues, but I've heard that the carbon receivers can kablooey on you.

Pros: Weighs about 4 lbs
Looks kinda cool
Mine is fairly accurate
Has a picatinney rail on the upper reciever.

Cons: Bolt assembly is proprietary, so if you need a new bolt you have to send the entire upper reciever back to Bushmaster so they can change out the barrel to accept a standard AR-15 bolt
Handguard gets real hot after successive firing - I had to buy a magwell grip so I would have something to hold on to for rapid fire fun.
No front sight or front sight base - gas block is under the handguard.
You have to take off the buttstock and unscrew the buffer tube to separate the upper and lower recievers - sometimes the buffer tube is hard to get a grip on to unscrew
it.

My take: It's a unique addition to the collection and it is fun to shoot, but I'd pass if you would need it for your primary weapon.

"But the noble man makes noble plans,
and by noble deeds he stands."

Old 04-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
Silicon Wolverine

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

kirrik prety much got it. ive destroyed carbon fiber recivers in less than 30 rounds of shooting, and that was a bushmaster. yes its a unique configuration that merits a place in a firearms collection. but it should be limited to range use, and only then for limited rounds. also the FCG and bolt carrier parts ARE NOT standard AR parts so that may be an issue. unless you have a specific use like a female shooter that needs a lightweight weapon, id probably pass unless you really want ot get rid of your trailer.

SW

Old 04-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Festus_Hagen

I agree with SW.

It is what it is.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
s0b3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

stay away from the professional ordnance ones. they changed so many things on purpose to make it proprietary and since they folded, no one has parts anymore. for example, they have rounded lugs on their bolts so that's a part that when it breaks, you can't replace. that means a custom barrel extension. also the moved the pin holes for the upper and lower.

i broke a bolt, real common problem as bushmaster gave away all the bolts they had from professional ordnance. i had to send an ar15 milspec bolt to a gunsmith to get the lugs rounded which wasn't cheap. that was after speaking to many gunsmiths who didn't even want to try.

that being said, it was light and fun. the break puts out basketball sized fireballs.

it's a toy, nothing for serious use.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
futuremodal

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
stay away from the professional ordnance ones. they changed so many things on purpose to make it proprietary and since they folded, no one has parts anymore. for example, they have rounded lugs on their bolts so that's a part that when it breaks, you can't replace. that means a custom barrel extension. also the moved the pin holes for the upper and lower.
Some of the changes were necessary to accomplish the lighter weight, aka the chopped down bolt assembly. But it's irritating how they rounded the bolt lugs when standard squared lugs would have worked as well. Totally unnecessary. It's as if they (the company) wanted to fail.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
waj30

Thanks for the info.I think I'm going to pass on this trade for my trailer.You saved me from making a bad choice of weapons. 8) Thanks waj

You win some you lose some but you got to get dressed for all of them !

Old 04-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
s0b3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Some of the changes were necessary to accomplish the lighter weight, aka the chopped down bolt assembly. But it's irritating how they rounded the bolt lugs when standard squared lugs would have worked as well. Totally unnecessary. It's as if they (the company) wanted to fail.
suprisingly their bolt carrier and buffer assembly works quite well. i salvaged it and am running a milspec bolt on my ar15 pistol. but most of their changes were just to be different.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
futuremodal

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the info.I think I'm going to pass on this trade for my trailer.You saved me from making a bad choice of weapons. 8) Thanks waj
It's not a "bad" weapon IMHO, just one that needs a little careful oversight and of course has little in the way of compatability with standard AR replacement parts. The question is, will you be able to make this kind of a deal (aka gun for trailer) again? Seems to me it might actually be a good trade in that you're not out any cash for an admittedly quirky but fun gun.

You need to ask yourself: Are you enjoying your trailer more than you would enjoy shooting the Pro Ord Carbon 15? Is there anything else of value to you that you might be able to get for your trailer, and which would be worth more than the Pro Ord?

I paid cash for mine, and it is that that I somewhat regret. However, I do have some older but still functional farm and garden implements (tractors, riding lawnmowers etc.) that I'd gladly trade for another NIB Pro Ord Carbon 15.

Quick Reply