Hipoint Firearms Forums > Archive > 2010 > What exectly does DAO mean?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
NevadaDave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What exectly does DAO mean?

I did a forum search & didn't come up with a thread that seemed to explain this:
From what I understand, my JHP .45 is a DAO (double-action only) pistol. I am not totally sure what this means in a semi-auto. Does this mean that when the pistol auto-loads after firing a round that the trigger is not actually cocked (IOW the movement of the slide does not cock the firing pin), and that pulling the trigger cocks and fires it, or is there something else I'm not understanding?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Mike_AZ
U.S.S.

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default Re: What exectly does DAO mean?

Hi-points are not DAO pistols, they are SAO.

With DAO pistols when you pull the trigger it performs 2 actions. 1, it will cock the hammer or striker and 2, it will release the hammer or striker to fire the round.

With SAO pistols the trigger only releases the hammer or striker. It relies on the user or recoil to cock the hammer or striker.

Of course there are combinations of DA/SA, SA/DA and hybrids like glocks.

Mike

"There is no sanctuary" -Logan5

Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #3
blazinwarrior78

Which style of pistol have exposed hammers and which models have decockers? I've seen variations of both but don't know the difference in "Action."

~Todd

Guns:
Smith & Wesson Model 10 38 Special
Hi-Point 995TS Carbine
Newest: C9

Old 01-11-2010, 02:25 AM   #4
p-t-max

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Hi-points are not DAO pistols, they are SAO.

With DAO pistols when you pull the trigger it performs 2 actions. 1, it will cock the hammer or striker and 2, it will release the hammer or striker to fire the round.

With SAO pistols the trigger only releases the hammer or striker. It relies on the user or recoil to cock the hammer or striker.

Of course there are combinations of DA/SA, SA/DA and hybrids like glocks.
So, Mike_AZ, how does the user cock the striker in a HP pistol for that first shot? Is it when you rack the slide to load the first round? And if so, and you carry with "one in the pipe," you're carrying a pistol that is loaded and cocked, is that right?

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/Hi-Point%20Carbine/?albumview=slideshow

Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
Mike_AZ
U.S.S.

Quote:
So, Mike_AZ, how does the user cock the striker in a HP pistol for that first shot? Is it when you rack the slide to load the first round? And if so, and you carry with "one in the pipe," you're carrying a pistol that is loaded and cocked, is that right?
Yes, HPs are like any other SA pistol, the gun is cocked when the slide is racked. You're correct about the loaded and cocked part.

Mike

Old 01-11-2010, 03:05 AM   #6
darkstar3d

In Army speak, locked is magazine locked into the weapon. Loaded is round in the chamber. Cocked is where you have cocked the hammer on a weapon that has one to cock.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #7
NevadaDave

Well, not wanting to be a PITA, why do so many websites describe the Hi-point semi-autos as DAO? Just google "Hi-point DAO" and see what you get. Hi-point doesn't say anything one way or another on their website.
This review:
http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/hipoint_100605/
describes it as a single action. As far as I can tell, you can't fire the weapon if the slide hasn't been racked, so it would seem to be basically a single action pistol, but I'm curious as to why so many places refer to it as a DAO pistol.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:03 AM   #8
Mike_AZ
U.S.S.

I assume it is because Hi-Point used to list them as DAO on their website. I have no idea why because they are clearly SAO.

Mike

Old 01-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
MountainGator

Good info here, that answered one of my questioins (without even asking). I've seen many 'dealer sights' advertise HPP'a as DAO, however if you read the manual, you conclude they are SAO, though it is not stated as such. I'm a new guy here looking for info (http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,26473.0.html).

But I do have some follow-up Q. Can the pistol be cocked with the safety on (in safe)? Can a round be manually ejected with the safety on?

Thank, & StaySafe,
MG

NRA - MSSA - Retired US Army
NRA Certified Instructor

Old 01-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Liked 2277 Times on 1514 Posts
Likes Given: 2594

Quote:
But I do have some follow-up Q. Can the pistol be cocked with the safety on (in safe)? Can a round be manually ejected with the safety on?
No. HP designs physically move the safety tab into a milled notch on the slide, literally blocking movement of the slide when safety is engaged.

You would need to rack the slide and then engage the safety. Always use good firearms safety, including muzzle control (keeping it pointed in a safe direction) when doing this.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning and maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."

Quick Reply