Hipoint Firearms Forums > Hi-Point Firearms Discussion > Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights > Blurry BSA Red Dot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
Carden
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Blurry BSA Red Dot?

I bought a pretty fancy BSA red dot w/laser and light for my 995. My problem is the dot seems blurry. I had my uncle (10 years my senior who wears glasses) look and he says it looks sharp as a tack. Anyone else ever experience this and did you find a solution. I had my eyes checked less than 2 month ago and I was given a clean bill of eye health. Has anyone ever heard of adjustable eye correction, like on binoculars, for a red dot scope?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 04:33 AM   #2
Silicon Wolverine

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Default Re: Blurry BSA Red Dot?

my only suggestion is send it in to BSA and have them check it. you may have a mis-focused laser. the reason someone with glasses sees it sharply is the focal length might be right for the person with corrective lenses.

SW

Old 01-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
fish

I find if I focus on 'the dot' as if it was 6 inches in front of my face, it appears blurry. If I focus on the target 25-50 yards out, the dot is in focus. I think the focal distance of the dot is not 'in' the sight (6 inches away, where you would 'think' it would be) rather the dot is effectively 20+ yards away.

Does that make sense?

Everyone's eyes are different, so my experience may or may not be consistent with yours.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Gmacandcheese

fish, i'll 2nd that

Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
ajole
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4565 Times on 3189 Posts
Likes Given: 4065

Fancy and BSA are two words that don't really go together...
BSA is the HP of the scope world. Cheap, functional, good enough.
Note that I am not knocking the BSA...I own two, plus a Tasco, a Sightmark, and some other brand...even though I prefer iron sights... :cantlook:
but most red-dots under the century mark, and probably into the next 100 bucks beyond that, are simply NOT going to be that sharp. Even the 3 MOA dots are a little fuzzy if you look right at them.
But as some have already said...quit looking at them, and focus on the target. They work fine. :angel:

If you want a non-blurry dot, you need to spend a few bucks...look through an Eotech, or the other top end ACOG units, and you'll see what I mean. Simply amazing.

He who smiles last....

......................thinks slowest.

Q

Not anything to do with me,...but SWAGA referred me to it...and it is pretty funny: The Ballad of Ajole
17 HP's and counting.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
nclpta

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

could be any of the above reasons.

ditto with your target focus, and not the dot.

"Hmm.. Some call it a Sling Blade. I call it a Kaiser Blade......"

Old 01-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Carden

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Fancy and BSA are two words that don't really go together...
BSA is the HP of the scope world. Cheap, functional, good enough.
Note that I am not knocking the BSA...I own two, plus a Tasco, a Sightmark, and some other brand...even though I prefer iron sights... :cantlook:
but most red-dots under the century mark, and probably into the next 100 bucks beyond that, are simply NOT going to be that sharp. Even the 3 MOA dots are a little fuzzy if you look right at them.
But as some have already said...quit looking at them, and focus on the target. They work fine. :angel:

If you want a non-blurry dot, you need to spend a few bucks...look through an Eotech, or the other top end ACOG units, and you'll see what I mean. Simply amazing.
Maybe 'fancy' wasn't the right word... it was more of a gadget. Laser, light, red dot, etc. I did like the easy dials for sighting it in though.

http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=461

I took it off, went back to the iron sights and will probably put it on Ebay or something. It's just is too big and bulky. I thought the laser and light would appeal to my wife for HD but she prefers it with the open sights also.

As to the blurriness, you guys were right. I was focusing, more that I thought, on the 'dot'. When I relaxed and focused on the target instead, much better.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
ajole
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4565 Times on 3189 Posts
Likes Given: 4065

Sounds like a good deal to me. I also prefer the aperture or peep sights...but my old eyes appreciate a little help now and then. ^-^

He who smiles last....

......................thinks slowest.

Q

Not anything to do with me,...but SWAGA referred me to it...and it is pretty funny: The Ballad of Ajole
17 HP's and counting.

Quick Reply