You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Hipointfirearmsforums.com    

Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights >

One Manís Review: The David Mahan Custom Sight for the Hi Point Sight C9/45JHP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
vtjozef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Default One Manís Review: The David Mahan Custom Sight for the Hi Point Sight C9/45JHP

One Manís Review: The David Mahan Custom Sight for the Hi Point Sight C9/45JHP

Back in early January 2010 I started the year off by ordering one of custom pistol sights offered and made by David Mahan who had been frequenting the High Point Firearms Forum (HPPF). David needed a core group of twenty-five people to front $30.00 for him to go into sight production at his workplace. I figured Iíd bite and give his sight a try. I also talked a friend into buying a sight as well. We both have the Hi Point 45JHP pistol so we planned putting David Mahanís sight on them. I also have a Hi Point C9 (9mm) pistol and I told David I planned to put a sight on it also if I liked how it performed on the 45JHP.

On Thursday, January 29, 2010, David Mahan sent an email that he planned to start shipping the next day, Friday. On Monday, Feb 2, David sent an email stating that the sights were out in the mail. David communicates with his customers well and frequently.

Although I received the sight a couple of days later and installed it on the 45JHP the big snows and 15 below zero weather of Vermont meant that I would have to wait to give the sight the range test.

What the sight is and has.

Installation was simple and straightforward. After removing the hold-down screw of the original factory plastic sight, the David Mahan sight simply slips into place with the screw he provides. Problem was that the screw, though fine for the C9, was too short for getting proper elevation range on the 45JHP. David quickly sent longer replacement screw to anyone that was putting the sight on the 45JHP.

The David Mahan sight has 4 hex screws. The one far forward on the sight is for mounting the sight to the slide. The one in line and in the middle is the elevation adjustment. A pair of hex screws runs perpendicular to the line running through the mount and elevation screws from front to back. These are the two windage adjustment screws. All hex screws are tightened/adjusted from the top. The two windage hex screws each push a piston out to the left and to the right. The sight pivots on the forward mounting screw. Three different hex screw wrenches mount and then adjust the sight. David supplies all three.

Bore Sighting

I put a bore sight laser into the barrel of the 45JHP. I used the diagonal space in our open-concept home and adjusted the sight at a distance of 10 yards. The trick to doing this is making sure that the sight screws and pistons are a tad loose so that adjustments can easily be make. Adjusting elevation up was simple enough Ė just use the supplied hex wrench and screw it in. When adjusting elevation down, however, one needs to make sure that when taking the screw out that the sight actually goes down and is not stuck in place with the windage pistons. I simply made sure there was some play in windage direction and pushing down on the sight with my finger. I would suggest that the elevation be adjusted by screwing up rather that going down.

Because there are two opposing pistons for windage it is necessary for the piston to have travel space on the same side of the slide as the direction to which the slide is moving. This is not as difficult as it sounds. If moving the windage to the right I would back off the right adjustment screw a-half turn moving the piston in and then move inward the left adjustment screw an equal amount moving its corresponding piston out. One piston moves in on one side and one piston moves out on the other side an equal amount. David offers a video detailing on how the adjustments are made. The video can be found at

http://www.youtube.com/user/kerfmeister#p/a/u/0/gzsO-pV92nw
When the red laser was over the front sight as properly seen through the back sight I tightened everything. Now, if the weather would only warm so I could go to the range and try out David Mahanís finely built sight.

Yippee! Itís Above Freezing

On March 7, the weather was sunny and the temperature hit 45 degrees so off I went to the range. When I got to the range another shooter was there and he expressed an interest in the Hi Point 45JHP. Here was an opportunity to sell Hi Point. So, I asked him if he wanted to shoot it. He did. He fired off nine rounds of Remington UMC FMJ at 15 yards. All of them wound up in the bull or within the first three rings. Not bad. I figured I correctly bore sighted the 45JHP with the David Mahan sights first try out! Not so fast.

Back in the summer of 2009 I sent my then new Hi Point 45JHP to the factory because I had to move the stock sight pretty far to the right in order to zero it in. The pistol came back in fours days and with a new mag gratis the factory. You have to love Hi Point service. I test fired the 45JHP with the new factory sight. It was just to the right of center. Problem was that in this factory test-fired set position I was having the same to-the-left shooting problem. So what would happen when I tried to fire the 45JHP with David Mahanís sight after a different first-time shooter shot well with it after my laser bore sighting? Turns out I have the same problem shooting to the left with David Mahanís sight and the factory sight. So then, now it is time for the windage piston adjustment for my real world circumstances.

I moved the right piston into the sight by letting the hex screw out Ĺ turn and then moved the left piston out by turning the hex screw in Ĺ turn. I refired and checked results. It was better. I did this over and over again until I was consistently shooting satisfactory groups zeroed in. It took 70 rounds. I then tightened the sight hold-down hex screw and made sure that both pistons were pressing in opposite directions holding the sight well in place within the slide. I shot again with the similar results. I was satisfied.

One Manís Review:  The David Mahan Custom Sight for the Hi Point Sight C9/45JHP - Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights One Manís Review:  The David Mahan Custom Sight for the Hi Point Sight C9/45JHP - Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights One Manís Review:  The David Mahan Custom Sight for the Hi Point Sight C9/45JHP - Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights

Conclusion

The David Mahan sight stays locked firmly in place. It cannot be moved or jiggled with a finger the way that the plastic stock sight can be moved. I this insures that David Mahanís sight stays put right where it is finally set.

So where did the David Mahan sight finally wind up on my 45JHP? Over to the right but not as far as the plastic stock sight was. I had the other shooter shoot the 45JHP again. His shots were off to the right. Experience has shown me that shooting to the left is part and parcel of my optical physiology.

I like the David Mahan sight. It is a class mechanical act and it adds a touch of zing to an inexpensive and very reliable pistol. It has a black anodized body with black hex screws that compliment the overall pistol well. The gap in the rear sight is the same as the stock Hi Point plastic sight gap. David offers a narrow gap option for those so-inclined

The cost of the David Mahan sight is $30.00 delivered. David offers a Hi Point-like guarantee. If you donít like the sight send it back for a full refund. Iím going to keep my sight and put one on the Hi Point C9. I like it very much.

David Mahan can be reached at highpointsights@gmail.com I like supporting the little guy and the workingman. I like supporting the guy who makes the Hi Point pistol a bit nicer and better. Give the sight a try. There is nothing to lose and a good bit to gain.

©2010 vtjozef
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
dahed

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default Re: One Manís Review: The David Mahan Custom for the Hi Point Sight C9/45JHP

Thanks for the review. I remember reading about David's concept a few months ago. Glad to seee it has come to fruition for David and for HP owners.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
O-H-I-O

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: One Manís Review: The David Mahan Custom Sight for the Hi Point Sight C9/45JHP

I too have the David sight and it did me well today for my CCW qualification. I did not bore sight, mine was simply install, approximate elevation and eyeball windage adjustments. We were not allowed to adjust at the range. I'm very satisfied and did well today! Props to David for not making a crooked plastic POS.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
2TN Mules

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: One Manís Review: The David Mahan Custom Sight for the Hi Point Sight C9/45JHP

Great review. I might have to look into one of those bad boys.
mahansights Likes This 
Old 03-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
O-H-I-O

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would advise you do. Anodized aluminum will probably last as long as you own the gun. No worries of stripping the plastic threads, bumping it out of alignment etc, etc...
Old 03-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #6
unscarred

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Can you please post a pic of the rear sight lined up with the front sight? Thanks.
mahansights Likes This 
Old 03-08-2010, 03:23 AM   #7
wickedwd5000

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Send a message via MSN to wickedwd5000

i may have to look into these....sounds pretty good.
mahansights Likes This 
Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
Oak

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Excellent review!! Bookmarking this as it has my interest in purchasing these sights for my .45. Thanks

I am an angel not a saint. It is not my lot to endure evil but rather to be intimate with it and destroy it wherever it may be.
mahansights Likes This 
Old 03-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Duggalo

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Duggalo

I've had Dave's sight on my C9 they day I received it...no excessive bore sighting or anything like that...
I dropped it in and was shooting 50 yards with it immediately. I only had to make two small adjustments for elevation.

This being Wisconsin...we don't wait for warm weather. We shoot guns year round. Anyways....Dave's sight on the Hi-Point C9 had me picking off ice chunks in the river at 50 yards no problem. I could barely hit paper at 20 yards with the twisted up stock sight.

Thanks again Dave. I will be ordering again soon.
Winchester Ranger 120 w/ Slug & Shot Barrels (12 Gauge)
Thompson Center Black Mountain Magnum Muzzle Loader (50 Cal.)

ANYONE WITH FREE TIME AND GRAPHIC DESIGN KNOWLEDGE PLEASE HELP!!! WILL SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE ME SIG ICONS LIKE THE HI-POINT ONES FOR MY OTHER WEAPONS. PLEASE!!!!
mahansights Likes This 
Old 03-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
vtjozef

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Can you please post a pic of the rear sight lined up with the front sight? Thanks.
Here are three different depth-of-field shots of the rear sight view of the front site. My camera work does not do justice to David Mahan's work making these sights. Keep in mind that I have the wide-gap sight, that is, the same gap as the stock plastic sight. David offers a narrow gap.

One Manís Review:  The David Mahan Custom Sight for the Hi Point Sight C9/45JHP - Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights One Manís Review:  The David Mahan Custom Sight for the Hi Point Sight C9/45JHP - Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights One Manís Review:  The David Mahan Custom Sight for the Hi Point Sight C9/45JHP - Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights

Re: Cold in Wisconsin. Here in VT we're too busy swimming in the pool during winter to be shooting at the range.

nonamemarine Likes This 

Quick Reply