You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Hipointfirearmsforums.com    

Hipoint Firearms Forums > Other Topics of Interest > Training >

Micro-Red Dot ...Maybe Not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Liked 12073 Times on 6792 Posts
Likes Given: 12972

Default Micro-Red Dot ...Maybe Not

http://proarmspodcast.com/101-on-the-dot/

An actual Study. Sample size is about 120 shooters ranging from novice to expert, shooting with irons, different slide mounted micro-red dots, and a laser.

Pro-Arms Podcast "Another visit with Karl Rehn, who presented a shorter version of his Red Dot Study at a recent MAG40 class held at his range in Texas. His Red Dot Study, looked at the differences in shooter performance comparing slide mounted Red Dot sights, Frame mounted laser sights and Iron Sights and it just might not be what you expect."

The gist of it is that he doesn't hate 'em but he doesn't recommend them either. Too little gain for too much lost. He says that at the most common self defense ranges ("close") that irons are faster for all people tests. Most people had a hard time adjusting to the red dot and spent a lot of time "hunting" for the dot.

Just as a side note, even novices had an 80% hit rate.

Listen to it. It's interesting.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning and maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."

“Now is the hand in his owne course more swifter then the foot or eye, therefore within distance the eye is deceived, & judgement is lost” - George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence, 1599
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
TNTRAILERTRASH
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Liked 4558 Times on 3045 Posts
Likes Given: 4958

Unless the dot is an instant on? Why? I do think I heard IDPA might be allowing them in the lower classes. Claiming they are coming factory ready on a bunch of guns now.

Assistant director of the HPFF Alumin-notty

Old 06-04-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRAILERTRASH View Post
Unless the dot is an instant on? Why? I do think I heard IDPA might be allowing them in the lower classes. Claiming they are coming factory ready on a bunch of guns now.
They are on a few.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning and maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."

“Now is the hand in his owne course more swifter then the foot or eye, therefore within distance the eye is deceived, & judgement is lost” - George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence, 1599

Old 06-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #4
Dane
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Liked 1762 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
They are on a few.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)
I have seen them on Sigs and Smiths recently.
undeRGRound Likes This 
Old 06-05-2017, 12:27 AM   #5
undeRGRound
JACK the Mole... ;)
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Liked 13208 Times on 8790 Posts
Likes Given: 61693

IDK, with my eyesight the way it is these days, I shot my buddy Airplane Shane's Ruger SP101 with a tube RDS on it, it was great! Easy target acquisition and very accurate. I was even able to hit a swinging bowling pin at 15yds a few times

I have a hard time finding the dot on an RDS that is not mounted, so that leads me to believe folks are not holding the pistol correctly, as it most definitely replicates the proper angles or it would not hit the target! Manual of Arms and Muscle Memory will come into play once they use it a bit. EVERYONE likes the RDS that I have asked.

I am shooting left eye, righty these days. Right eye needs lasered again, got another cataract forming

Make MONIE$ with crypto-currencies!
This is the NEXT BIG THING, get in Early!
The Crypto-Mania is just starting <clicky :D
ichthyo Likes This 
Old 06-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #6
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeRGRound View Post
IDK, with my eyesight the way it is these days, I shot my buddy Airplane Shane's Ruger SP101 with a tube RDS on it, it was great! Easy target acquisition and very accurate. I was even able to hit a swinging bowling pin at 15yds a few times

I have a hard time finding the dot on an RDS that is not mounted, so that leads me to believe folks are not holding the pistol correctly, as it most definitely replicates the proper angles or it would not hit the target! Manual of Arms and Muscle Memory will come into play once they use it a bit. EVERYONE likes the RDS that I have asked.

I am shooting left eye, righty these days. Right eye needs lasered again, got another cataract forming
Go ahead and listen to the podcast. He talks about some of the issues which you raise. It might help you make an informed decision which is right for you.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

undeRGRound Likes This 
Old 06-06-2017, 02:09 AM   #7
KSR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For me I find the key to using an RMR is that I still primarily rely on the pistol sights, its those moments where it's hard to achieve a good sight picture that the RMR is useful.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSR View Post
For me I find the key to using an RMR is that I still primarily rely on the pistol sights, its those moments where it's hard to achieve a good sight picture that the RMR is useful.
One of the important points that the presenter (who did the study) made was that with the micro-red dot sights, users would often have to rely on the irons to get the screen of the red dot in the proper location so that they could start hunting for the dot. At that point, you've already acquired the irons and switching from the irons to the dot actually slows you down.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Old 06-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
TNTRAILERTRASH
HPF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Liked 4558 Times on 3045 Posts
Likes Given: 4958

My favorite equipped 995TS still has the front sight on it. My brother kept trying to use the sight with the reflex sight. I automatically ignore it. Same thing on my AR platformed toys.

Assistant director of the HPFF Alumin-notty

Old 06-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
lklawson
HPF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRAILERTRASH View Post
My favorite equipped 995TS still has the front sight on it. My brother kept trying to use the sight with the reflex sight. I automatically ignore it. Same thing on my AR platformed toys.
The author of the study claims that there is a marked difference in use, particularly quick acquiring, between frame-mounted tube-style reflex sights on rifles and slide mounted screen-style reflex sights on pistols. According to him, the former works really well, the latter not so much. He speaks about it in the linked presentation.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Quick Reply