12 Guage Ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by rockcrawlerdude916, Oct 30, 2007.

1. I am looking to find the best home defence ammo.

2. joatmon

joatmon Well-Known Member

00-Buck is what I load for family members in hiding. Used as a backup just in case the BG's are luckier than me. 12 ga. 2 3/4" = 9 approx 38cal. pellets. 3" = 15 pellets. I have lots of 3 1/2 steel "T" shot but not for first use because steel doesn't deform like lead thus less shock value, plus i don't want recoil to inhibit follow up shots if needed. I live in the boonie's so the nearest help is usually 10 to 15 minutes away.

3. im more of a fan of dutch loading my mossberg.

rock salt for #1
    rubber buck shot for #2
    rubber slug for #3
    00-buck#4+

if they get up after the first 3 im squeezing off the rest.

4. HPHooked

HPHooked Well-Known Member

I keep #1 buckshot alternating with slug in my 12ga shotty. :shock:

The reason for the #1 buckshot? Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

It's a tad more expensive and a little harder to find, but Cheaper than Dirt and some other places sell it at reasonable prices.
    :p

For further info: http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

5. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

On the more expensive shotgun ammo, you have other alternatives. You can roll your own shot from lead ingots that you can make yourself, for tools and information, www.leeprecision.com or

http://www.leeprecisioncatalog.com/2007/lg_display.cfm?page_number=27&catalog=060153

http://www.leeprecisioncatalog.com/2007/lg_display.cfm?page_number=26&catalog=060153

I also have a friend that rolls his own 7 1/2 shot for bird hunting. He gets the lead from old tire weights from Tire and Lube joints for free. I thought Lee sold a shot roller but I guess they don't. You can also use a round ball bullet mold of the proper size to cast buckshot. Then, as long as you have a shotgun shell reloader, you're good to go.

6. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    good info Primal. I currently have 00 buck in mine.

7. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I recall a thread on the old forum where we discussed the liabilities of creating your own defense rounds. Glockman made the point that the right DA could use that to prove "premeditation" and therefore try and convict you of Murder 1! It's a stretch, but...

Anyway, have you seen what one of those "shot rollers" costs, Primal? It's like $400 for the ones I've seen! I'll stick to buying shot in bags.

8. unclerob

unclerob Member

Anybody ever tried this?
    A friend gave me some and I have never tried it at the range to see what kind of pattern it has.
    [​IMG]

9. Never seen it before, but I sure like the setup. Ball and shot.

10. try it out, then give us a range report, the stuff definatly looks intresting

11. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

When you do try that out, take pictures of the target that you shoot. That suff looks interesting.

Actually shot rollers are cheaper than that, as I think my buddy made his own from stuff he had laying around the house. The actual shot "roller" is not really a roller at all. Basically the melted lead just drips down into a bucket of coolant, and is then transfered into the "roller" which is a drum with a door on it. Once the drum is full, he turns it on and it just rolls around in there against each other and knocks off the rough edges and makes the shot more round in shape. It's a pretty cool setup.

As far as shooting someone with a hand load, I don't know if that applies to shotguns as well as pistols/rifles. GlockMan, do you have any information on this as well?

12. Protector00

Protector00 Well-Known Member

I use 7.5 shot! The reason is, I dont want it to over penetrate through walls killing someone I dont want to harm,believe me 7.5 shot in a 12 gauge will get the job done in a house,I've done a lot of research on this to make this my home protection load....

13. Loopster

Loopster Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm. Now I need a shotty, so i can get me some o' that!

14. HPHooked

HPHooked Well-Known Member

Looks like the return of the old buck and ball load from centuries past. This was quite an effective load during the days of the War of Northern Aggression and even since then. However, this is the first time I've seen it in a commercial load. It would be interesting to find some and test it with my Model '97 shotgun. 8)

15. Where can you get rock salt rounds for your 12g at?

16. rimfirehunter

rimfirehunter Well-Known Member

I used to have a 12ga and 20ga (different time) for home defense needs. My shotty of choice was the Mossberg 500 with 18.5" cylinder bore barrel, standard wood stock and standard tube with sling and side saddle for spare ammo.

For in the home use I kept the 12ga loaded with either #1 of #3 buck, the 20ga was loaded with #3 buck. Back then there was not a lot of choices for home defense loads, but these days you have all sorts of speciality loads, reduced loads and even the small case buck loads.

Here's a link to and an old article I always like to pass out for those who keep a shotgun for home defense needs. The article is dated Oct 1998 but it's still as valid today as it was when first written and published.

Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition published by FirearmsTactical.com

Below is a short excrept from the Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition article...

"In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.

For home defense applications a standard velocity 2 ¾-inch #1 buck shotshell (16 pellet payload) from Federal, Remington or Winchester is your best choice. We feel the Federal Classic 2 ¾-inch #1 buck load (F127) is slightly better than the same loads offered by Remington and Winchester. The Federal shotshell uses both a plastic shot cup and granulated plastic shot buffer to minimize post-ignition pellet deformation, whereas the Remington and Winchester loads do not."

I encourge everyone who keeps a shotgun in the home, for home defense needs, to read the article in it's entirety, also check out the main site because they have LOT's of good articles and info. Makes for a good day of reading when you dont have a list full of Honey Do's to attend to. LOL.

rimfirehunter

17. unclerob

unclerob Member

Thanks Rimfirehunter for the post. I just started to investigate shotguns for HD and this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
    A great help indeed.
    Thanks again.

18. 1motion

1motion Guest