A Urgent Call to all Hi-Point Forums Members!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by GlockMan, Oct 26, 2007.

1. GlockMan

GlockMan Well-Known Member

It appears that Google has captured a hugh amount of the old forum were our threads are intact. We lost a hugh amount of info when the old site crashed or was hacked. I need one of are IT guys to go out there and locate and store these threads before they disappear forever! I'll up-date this with more info when able.

2. GlockMan

Example of the Goggle Cache

This is G o o g l e's cache of http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=8211&sid=dd2e272b6c4e038f460a115dd67ea2a1 as retrieved on 12 Oct 2007 15:33:47 GMT.
    G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
    The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.
    This cached page may reference images which are no longer available. Click here for the cached text only.
    To link to or bookmark this page, use the following url: http://www.google.com/search?q=cach...int+magazine+followers&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=

3. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S.

Probably the most effective way to do this is by using the filters in Google. Find a topic you would like to search, lets say, feed lips. You put that into Google's search box, but follow it up with site:http://hipoint.7.forumer.com. so the entire string you would put in the search box would look like this.
    This way Google will only return hits it finds at whatever site you choose.

4. unclerob

unclerob Member

Gman, where did you find that link to the mag info??
    I have posted it in a couple different places on this forum over the past couple days.

5. unclerob

unclerob Member

6. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S.

Do a search like I described above then when you get the results back, chose cached.

[​IMG]

7. unclerob

unclerob Member

Outstanding graphic Mike_AZ!
    Nice work.

8. GlockMan

How can we store and convert the Goggle threads for posting here other then the crappy copy and paste of the text?

9. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other way.

10. freedom

freedom Well-Known Member

Im no IT guy but if you get to your page and then right click on the page and select save page as. You can save the entire page as an HTML document.
    When you open the saved document it will look exactly like the web page.

I did notice when I checked the one link out that the cached forum page has no working links.

11. unclerob

unclerob Member

Most external links to info outside the old forumer pages work fine, from the cached searches if the linked page is still active.
    I have been able to find and use lots of the old links posted by mrmerriweather that way.
    But to find our old forumer pages you have to search for each page one at a time.
    The wayback machine works too for some of the real old stuff. No this is not a joke. Try it yourself.
    http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

12. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    I am getting pretty much nothing on the old posts. Best bet is for anyone who still has then cached to go into the ones of thier choosing and repost them. I can say there is not a way to just copy them and add them to the database without having a copy of the old and new databaes.

13. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

i hope someone finds my thread on bullet casting. That was a ton of typing.

SW

14. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

What was the title of the thread? I'll search for it, but I won't make any promises....

15. unclerob

unclerob Member

16. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

Unclerob, you are the man! I didn't have alot of time tonight as I really need a downer... Had a few brewskies and forgot all about that. Thanks for doing the search, I think that's what SW was asking for.

17. unclerob

unclerob Member

No prob Bro.
    Took me all of ten seconds to locate.
    Happy to help.