Any Other Stoeger Cougar Owners Out There?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by GunsRFun, Oct 16, 2007.

1. GunsRFun

GunsRFun Guest

Earlier this year I bought a Stoeger Cougar 40S&W and just love it. I'll be buying another one in 9mm, I called a local shop and I can get one on sale for $286.00 out the door. If you have not looked into this gun I suggest you do.

Cheers

2. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

A less than stellar track record haunts this gun. While a fine design, in application it has its issues. Ill stick to my glocks.

SW

3. GunsRFun

GunsRFun Guest

I haven't read anything bad about the Cougar, other than when it was originally produced by Beretta that it cost $600-$700 and was out of reach for a lot of gun buyers. Having searched the Beretta Forums and such I can't say that I'v seen any real negatives.

SilWolv-Could you explain the "less than stellar" comment.

I know that the current ones are produced in Turkey...blah, blah,blah from what I'v experienced its been a wonderful gun (600 of WWB without a FTF or FTE). I am even going to give my Cougar 40 a baby brother Cougar in 9mm.

I would say the only "complaint" I'v read about the Stoeger is the fact that the gun comes with a plastic guide rod. You can order a new Beretta Factory metal guide rod for less than $20.

In my book this is one of the best buys going...just my opinion.

Cheers

4. Space

Space Well-Known Member

NH
    Yep, love it and it has been flawless with about 5-600 rounds through it

You can get metal guide rods here http://www.olhasso.com/beretta/cougar.htm for $12. I have one sitting in the safe should I ever need one.

Stoeger is the one on the left...
    [​IMG]

5. mjd932

mjd932 Active Member

I don't have one but that would possibly be remedied if I ran into a de;]Earlier this year I bought a Stoeger Cougar 40S&W and just love it. I'll be buying another one in 9mm, I called a local shop and I can get one on sale for $286.00 out the door. If you have not looked into this gun I suggest you do.

Cheers[/quote]

I don't have one but that would possibly be remedied if I ran into a deal like that.

6. SAMPO

SAMPO Well-Known Member

To my knowledge Berretta moved production to Turkey, and left it there and now Stoeger is selling it, I think the PX4 took the Cougers place in the Berretta line-up.

7. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop Guest

I have one that I like a lot. I looked at quite a few weapons when looking for a carry. When I picked the Cougar up for the first time I knew it was the right one. It just felt good. I had a very difficult time finding one at any price. I finally located one in a little town about 40 miles away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. GunsRFun

GunsRFun Guest

I spent about $408 out the door on my Stoeger Cougar 40S&W. $20 of that was a transfer fee.....this time I'm buying one in my state, I live on the Iowa / Nebraska boarder. Can't wait to get my 9mm--cheaper ammo.

After I get my 9mm I'll order two metal guide rods. Also down the road I plan on buying a 357Sig barrel from Beretta for the 40. That will be about another $200 to do the 40 to 357Sig swap.

What did you guys spend on your Cougars?

Cheers

9. Space

Space Well-Known Member

NH
    $329 NIB with 2 - 15 round mags and hard case. No taxes or fees cuz I live in one of the free states (NH) 8)

10. GunsRFun

GunsRFun Guest

Going to pick-up my Stoeger Cougar in 9mm this saturday....Now I'll have a Cougar in both 40S&W and 9mm. I looooove these guns

Cheers

11. SAMPO

SAMPO Well-Known Member

:D Can't wait to see pics....love that you can swap the barrels for a different caliber, thats like a twofer!!!

12. Silicon Wolverine

Both cougars ive handled and shot had feeding and reliability issues. one simply would not feed HP ammo no matter what i did with it and the other had repeated FTE issues along with the slide not fully returning to battery. Both guns were shot enough to be broken in. Both were reurned to the factory for repiar. One had to have a complete frame replacement and the other had to have neumerous parts including slide, barrel etc replaced. Not my idea of a great buy.

SW

13. mjpatrick

mjpatrick Guest

We sit on this site and talk about those who bash us while bashing others, hmmmmm.

14. eqfan592

eqfan592 Well-Known Member

It seemed to me that he was giving actual first hand testimony on what he experienced with these particular firearms. That is not what I would call "bashing." Bashing would be if he said something along the lines of "OMG, Stoeger sux hard! LOLz," which he did not.

15. Silicon Wolverine

im not trying to bash cougars at all. If you want one thats fine. Im just trying to warn you ahead of time there have been pistols in this line with issues. Im sure they are fine weapons, but my personal expierence has been poor.

SW

16. GunsRFun

GunsRFun Guest

Got my Stoeger Cougar in 9mm this past weekend. Had to drive to a small town about 86 miles away. Paid $279.24 out the door. Will shoot it later in the week and give a range report. So far I love the Stoeger Cougars.

Cheers

17. GunsRFun

GunsRFun Guest

Have shot about 600 rounds through my new Stoeger 9mm. There is just something really nice about this gun. I love shooting it and have had no failures of any kind. If you get a chance to handle one or better yet shoot one I'm sure you'll agree.

Cheers