Barrel Shrouds

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by benny429, Oct 16, 2007.

1. I get a lot of questions about the barrel shrouds on the pictures 995 Carbines I have on the gallery section of my website.

Where have you purchased your shroud?

2. Many purchased theirs through ebay, but they do not allow sales of barrel shrouds anymore. Because a barrel shroud makes a weapon so much more dangerous.. i ended up fabricating my own.

3. BD

BD Guest

4. Maverick

Maverick Guest

+1 Thats where I got mine.

EDIT:

There was someone here who calls their 995 "Rosie" or something like that... Anyway he had a really cool looking Muzzle Brake that had a rail on the bottom of it. I think he had to use a metal spacer to make it fit, but it looked really really nice/cool. I thought he got it from you Benny.

Found it!
    [​IMG]
    http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddet...ttp://www.nortje.com/Products/995/shrouds.htm[/quote]

+1 Thats where I got mine.

EDIT:

There was someone here who calls their 995 "Rosie" or something like that... Anyway he had a really cool looking Muzzle Brake that had a rail on the bottom of it. I think he had to use a metal spacer to make it fit, but it looked really really nice/cool. I thought he got it from you Benny.

Found it!
    [​IMG]
    http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SBS4400

5. Thanks guys.

In my response to the email I got, I sent a link to this thread.

6. Marksman1

Marksman1 Guest

What makes a barrel shroud "more dangerous?" Sure, they look cool, but "more dangerous?" :?

7. Well acording to Democrats, they are more dangerous and scary. Along with pistol grips ;]What makes a barrel shroud "more dangerous?" Sure, they look cool, but "more dangerous?" :?[/quote]

Well acording to Democrats, they are more dangerous and scary. Along with pistol grips and bayonets.

8. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    Well, you see Marksman1, A barrel shroud is a shoulder thing that goes up, according to Carolyn McCarthy, thus making the shroud itself deadly in nature. :roll:
    Seriously, we should start giving gun parts and accessories silly or perverted names, just to laugh at the anti's when the talk about what should be banned :lol:

9. Ridge

Ridge Well-Known Member

IT IS NOT SAFE FOR OUR PEOPLE TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH THESE ASSAULT RIFLES WITH THESE "HOLE STRETCHERS" MOUNTED ON THEM!

10. Stryker1

Stryker1 Well-Known Member

LOL :? wait guns are dangerous???? I always thought it was stupid people that were dangerous???? So this gun thing shoots people by itself??? We can recall all of the troops and just leave the weapons.

I hate the oxygen thiefs of;]IT IS NOT SAFE FOR OUR PEOPLE TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH THESE ASSAULT RIFLES WITH THESE "HOLE STRETCHERS" MOUNTED ON THEM![/quote]

LOL :? wait guns are dangerous???? I always thought it was stupid people that were dangerous???? So this gun thing shoots people by itself??? We can recall all of the troops and just leave the weapons.

I hate the oxygen thiefs of the world!!!

11. SCREAMIII2007

SCREAMIII2007 Active Member

{Rosie}-gets a flashlight and a nose job,REPOST

{Rosie}={ ain't exactly pretty , ain't exactly small, 9x19x10 you could say shes got it all} is doing quite fine fella's.
    She's being fed a steady diet of Georgia Arms reloads.
    I am happy to report that the ATI muzzle break is snug as a bug.
    Other then a lot of stares & questions at the range she's piling up the brass.
    Got HP laser on there now.
    Here is the pic as the linK in gone now.
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I bought a used stock off another member and will be doing a bipod mount/rail install as my next project.

12. Stryker1

Stryker1 Well-Known Member

Glad to see you made the transfer SCREAMIII2007....

Great mod by the way...

13. Newskate9

Newskate9 Well-Known Member

Stryker - you need to get a new avatar. I watch it every time I see it and still LMAO - too funny!

14. 8andsand

8andsand Well-Known Member

Man those bullet shrouds look so cool. Im really thinking about doing an ATI conversion and getting a shroud

15. Ridge

Ridge Well-Known Member

x2

16. cptbhern

cptbhern Guest

I am trying to make my own out of some aluminum stock I got from work,I should say I asked one of the cnc guys if he could help me.

What did you use Super_Virgil?

Btw, I am in Independence,Mo. also,near the Indep. Center mall.

17. Newskate9

Newskate9 Well-Known Member

in case you didn't see it, here's one I just got and installed.

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. panoz77

panoz77 Member

I had the opportunity to get my hands on a muzzle shroud from Moerse Lekker (Ebay ID is moerselekker). I previously had purchased a muzzle shroud from Thomas Hartman (Ebay ID is mold99). So, I am going to provide a detailed comparison of the two manufactures and their product. This comparison will include customer service, professionalism and quality of product (rated on a 1 to 10 scale, 1 = Very Poor, 5 = Average and 10 = Perfect). I will refer to the two manufacturers as TH (Thomas Hartman) and ML (Moerse Lekker) from now on.

First some side by side pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Customer Service:

TH - Overall Score = 6 Hi Points
    I ordered my original shroud through TH. I had some issues with TH's customer service and his attitude. The shipping time was over two weeks with no prior notice other than he posted the shipping method as USPS Priority Mail and did not specify a handling time (-2.0 Hi Points). Only after posting my experience and our email exchanges (-2.0 Hi Points) he finally made it right with me and gave me a partial refund for the delays and promised to revise his ebay auction to include information that shipping times may be up to two weeks, which he did. Would I purchase from TH again, yes if it is a product that I wanted but be prepared to wait a couple of weeks. Additional details of my transaction with TH can be found at the link to this thread http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=4865. A copy of his current auction listing is as follows:

Copy of text from TH's Ebay Auction
    "LIKE YOU, I BOUGHT A HI POINT 9MM CARBINE. I LOVE IT, BUT THE STOCK IS BUTT UGLY, SO I BOUGHT AN ATI REPLACEMENT, AND IT LOOKS GREAT. THAN I FITTED A RED DOT SCOPE. BETTER YET, BUT STILL MISSING SOMETHING. SO I FABRICATED A SHROUD TO GIVE THE FRONT SOME VISUAL BALANCE, AND THAT DID IT. IT LOOKED SO GOOD, I DECIDED TO MAKE SOME MORE, AND HERE THEY ARE. CNC MACHINED FROM AIRCRAFT QUALITY ALUMINUM, IT ADDS SOME GREAT BLING TO YOUR CARBINE. DON'T ADD UNNECESSARY WEIGHT TO YOUR 995, THESE SHROUDS WEIGH LESS THAN 1/2 THE WEIGHT OF OTHER SHROUDS FOR THE HI POINT CARBINE. EASY SETSCREW ATTACHMENT AND REMOVAL. AVAILABLE LONG OR SHORT SO YOU CAN USE OEM SIGHTS IF DESIRED. IF YOU DESIRE TO PAINT THE SHROUD A CUSTOM COLOR, REQUEST A BLASTED NATURAL ALUMINUM FINISH. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT THE LONG OR SHORT.

NOW FOR THE DISCLAMER, I MAKE THESE IN SMALL BATCHES AS I HAVE TIME ON THE MACHINING CENTER, SOMETIMES I GET A LITTLE BEHIND IF IT'S TIED UP WITH REGULAR WORK. SO I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT IT MAY TAKE UP TO 14 DAYS TO SHIP FROM TIME OF ORDER, OR IF I HAVE SOME MADE, JUST 2 OR 3 DAYS. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY UNTIL I E-MAIL YOU THAT THEY ARE READY, THATS OK. BUT I WILL SHIP IN THE ORDER THEY ARE PAID FOR. SO IF SOMEONE PAYS WHEN BOUGHT, I WILL SHIP THAT ONE FIRST. THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT."
    The price for the TH shroud is $35.95 + $5.45 Shipping USPS Priority Mail.

ML - Overall Score = 9 Hi Points
    I did not purchase the shroud I obtained from ML. ML contacted me via the Hi Point Index forum and offered me a shroud as a thank you for a mention as a competetor to TH. I did not ask for him to do this nor did I expect anything, as a businessman he realizes that your reputation is everything. I never turn down a sweet freebie but before accepting I said that I would provide a detailed comparison of the two products, he agreed and was very confident in the quality of his product. I am going to try very hard to be as impartial as possible. He was very communicative and responsive. He shipped it out via USPS Priority Mail on 4/14/07 and I recived it on 4/16/07, now that is fast! 1 point was deducted from the overall score since I did not actually purchase a shroud from ML. A copy of his current auction listing is as follows:

Copy of text from ML's Ebay Auction
    "Hi-Point 995 - 9mm Barrel Shroud for the ATI Stock converted Rifle

Up for sale is a barrel shroud for the 995 Hi-Point 9mm Carbine, which has undergone the ATI stock conversion. It will only fit the 9mm model. Additional pictures of the mounted barrel shroud are available upon request. The front sight will have to be removed for this installation - but most owners have the rail and a scope mounted anyway.

Manufactured from light weight yet extremely durable Aircraft Aluminum, the shroud (weighing only 3.4oz!) literally installs in seconds with an Allen wrench which is supplied. It uses a brass set screw to push against the bottom of your rifle's barrel to securely hold the shroud to the barrel. The shroud has no external hooking points, thus it will not hinder your tactical movements. Item not for sale where prohibited.

Shipping

This item is in stock and ready to ship. All payments received before 3:30pm M-F will ship the same day via USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation, orders received after 3:30pm will ship on the next business day. Express Mail Overnight shipping is also available."
    The price for the ML shroud is $35.95 + $5.05 Shipping USPS Priority Mail.

#2 Shroud Quality and Finish

TH - Overall Score = 7.5 Hi Points
    The shroud is good looking on the barrel, I like the hole pattern. The fit is tight but not as tight as the ML shroud. The TH shroud appears to be made of aluminum tubing of some sort and not milled from a solid piece of billet aluminum (I may be wrong, but it does not seem like it is milled from a solid piece of billet aluminum). It is a narrower shroud than the ML shroud which is either good or bad depending on your taste. The TH shroud is much lighter than the ML shroud which is again either good or bad depending on your taste and if weight issues are important to you. Overall, I think that the TH shroud may be more prone to damage than the ML shroud if it is struck against something due to the fact that it is made from a thinner gauge aluminum (-1.5 Hi Points). I think the TH shroud comes either prefinished black (not sure of the finish since mine came unfinished with a bead blasted finish, even though I asked for black [-1.0 Hi Points]) or unfinished in a bead blasted aluminum finish ready for paint. I painted the TH shroud with Rust-Oleum high temperature flat black grill paint, which it accepted well with no priming. The new painted finish does seem to get blemishes if it is brushed against other types of plastic but I think this is due to the flat black paint and not with the quality of the aluminum (see pics below).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The TH shroud fits almost perfectly flush with the end of the ATI stock (see pics above) but the end leaves a small amount of the barrel (about 1/4 - 1/8 inch) exposed, but it still has a very nice appearance (see pic below).
    [​IMG]

ML - Overall Score = 9.0 Hi Points
    This shroud is also good looking on the barrel, I also like the hole pattern on this shroud but I think smaller holes would be better (-0.5 Hi Points), closeup the larger holes allow you to see more of the barrel inside (not sure if this is good or bad). The fit tolerance is very tight. The ML shroud appears to be made from a solid piece of billet aluminum (Again I am no expert on machinening of aluminum). It is a slightly wider shroud than the TH shroud which is either good or bad depending on your taste. I prefer the heavier shroud because the ATI stock is heavy to begin with and it may give you slightly more balance at the foreend. Overall, I think that the ML shroud is a much more durable shroud and would not be damaged even if struck against a hard surface. The ML shroud came prefinished black (Raven Black Powder Coating). I prefer the finish of the ML shroud as it matches the ATI stock color better and the color of my add on accessories better, i would describe the color as a semi-gloss black with a slightly granulated finish (see pics below).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The ML shroud leaves a small gap between the shroud and the end of the ATI stock (-0.5 Hi Points) (about 1/4 - 1/8 inch, see pic below). Update from ML "I left the little gap between the shroud and the ATi stock because depending on your installation of the ATi stock, it seems like the exposed barrel lenght may differ from one rifle to another."
    [​IMG]
    The end is perfectly fit (actually the end of the barrel is recessed within the end of the shroud (see pic below). However the fit of the ML shroud kind of gives it the appearance of a silencer type look, it would be very cool if he made one with no holes, that would look sweet (hint, hint ML).
    [​IMG]

#3 Professionalism

TH - Overall Score = 5 Hi Points
    ML - Overall Score = 9 Hi Points
    The ML shroud came with two brass set screws and a hex wrench and also included the following disclaimer and instruction sheet. He also has a wesite at http://www.nortje.com/INDEX.htm
    [​IMG]

[size=18pt]OVERALL RATING
    TH = 6.2 Hi Points
    ML = 9.0 Hi Points
    [/size]

I will add an update information to this thread as it is received, hope this review was helpful for those who are trying to decide between the two shrouds. For me, I like them both each have pros and cons. I have not shot the 995 with either fitted so I cannot comment on their performance while shooting at this time. I am in no way affiliated with either of these shroud suppliers, this was an independent review on my part.

19. 8andsand

8andsand Well-Known Member

Man thats a great review panoz

20. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

Wow Panoz, you went all out on that post didn't ya?! Good stuff.