Best Prices on Defensive Ammo?

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by Maverick, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Maverick

Maverick Guest

I have a problem...

GlockMan recommends certain brands/types of defensive ammo. Problem is I can’t buy any locally. My Wal-Mart does not carry any defensive pistol ammo, only range/target stuff.

My local gun shop does have some Winchester Ranger loads but the box says "For Law Enforcement Only" so I have never attempted to buy it. Then they have the Extreme Shock Junk than GlockMan says to stay away from. While I appreciate the list of what to get. It doesn't do allot of good if I cant find it, find it at a decent price, or cant buy because I'm not a LEO.

It would be nice to have some links of where to buy along with that list.

2. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

You can buy that "LEO Only" stuff.

I just have some Remington +P hollowpoints that I bought for home defense, and 'Yote hunting. I think it was about $15.00 for a box of 50.

Just ask them for some +P Hollow Points. I'll bet you they've got a box of Speer Gold Dots they can sell ya.

3. 40CalGat

40CalGat Guest

Yeah, I bought some Winchester rangers at a local gun shop. The law enforcement only thing is a Winchester policy not the law. It's about 1/4 of the price of other defensive loads($16 for 50), cheap enough to practice with.[​IMG]

4. Maverick

Maverick Guest

Really? I did not know that...

If I read "Please don't dry fire"... I don't. If I see Caution Wet Paint; I assume the paint is wet...

With the ammo labeled the way it was, I just never even attempted to buy it. I didn't want to hear "You cant buy that! Cant you Read!" LOL...

I will try and buy some next trip. Thanks.

5. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Pretty much, if it's in the store, you can buy it.

LE depts buy their ammo direct, and don't have to pay the excise tax on it that we mere subjects have to.

6. Maverick

Maverick Guest

You know I always wondered about that.

I know the KSP just gives my brother so much ammo every month. Then he also buys his own for other firearms and such.

I was always just too embarrassed for not knowing to ask... :oops:

7. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Nah, no reason to be embarrassed. Everybody had to learn it at some point.

8. 40CalGat

40CalGat Guest

I asked the guy behind the counter " you have to be cop to buy that stuff don't you?, and looked at me like I was an idiot and said "uh.., no". Cabelas sells that ammo for $14.99. Ranger t's and SXT's are the next generation of Black Talons. I just bought some Winchester Ranger bonded ammo 180 grain ($24 for 50) on the internet, should be arriving tomorrow . Most cops use bonded ammo because it stays together better.

9. Maverick

Maverick Guest

Thats why I didn't ask or try to buy it at my local shop. I rather ask here...

Still I feel like a
    [​IMG]

10. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

Nice picture you got there Maverick, you should post that in the HPFF Member Picture thread! :wink: :wink:

11. 40CalGat

40CalGat Guest

I'll be the designated Jackass[​IMG]

12. elguapo

elguapo Guest

We all have to start somewhere...why not here, a place where you will not be mocked, berated, or talked down to?

13. vallen

vallen Well-Known Member

Even my local Wally World has Remington JHP in 9mm 100 rounds/ $24.95 And Ive seen the same at most Wallys in TX.

14. 40CalGat

40CalGat Guest

These are the nickel plated bonded Rangers[​IMG]