Bore Snake

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Aodhfin, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Aodhfin

Aodhfin Guest

Does anyone know if the Hoppes 9mm pistol Bore Snake is long enough to go through the 9mm carbine? If not, does anyone have a suggestion for a rifle length Bore Snake?

Thanks!

2. Ridge

Ridge Well-Known Member

I own one, and I havent tried it, but I can tell you just by looking at it you would be lucky to get half way down the barrel with it...dunno, maybe you can buy an extension??

3. You could always tie a stout string to it and put a small weight at the end and use that to get the bore snake started

4. Here is my 9mm bore snake. I purchased it for my G26 pistol but it is plenty long enough for my 995.
    [​IMG]

5. Yes it will . I use it in the 995 and the 40 cal version will work in the 4095.
    Spot

6. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Yeah, I've used mine in my 995.

7. I use my boresnake all the time in the 995. The boresnake is gods gift to gun owners.

8. How do you clean them? I keep thinking I want to buy one but have not talked myself into it yet.

9. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Yeah, that is also what I use. Just lock back the action, drop the weight in the end of the barrel and pull through two or three times, all done.

10. unclerob

unclerob Member

I use a mesh laundry bag made for delicate washables. Just make sure you get one with a small enough mesh to contain the "head" of your snake!

They come in MANY sizes and shapes. I get mine at the Dollar store.

Toss it in the washing machine.
    Warning: Do not wash with any of "her" stuff in the same load. A boresnake would be very painful to pull from your .... well, you get the idea.

11. ronco52

ronco52 Well-Known Member

Hate to sound dumb, but explain the steps to use it, starting at open bag pull snake out.
    I assume spray clean bore snake with Outers Nitro Solvent or other barrel cleaner, feed through barrel, start at chamber, repeat process three times? Spray each time?
    Use a second clean bore snake with Gun oil to finish it off? Or patches? Or?
    Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks UncleRob for the mesh bag info on how to wash the snake, I have some handy odd size sweatshirt/teeshirt pieces that would work on also.

12. unclerob

unclerob Member

You are welcome.
    Sweatshirt/teeshirt pieces may be a tad too tightly knit for flow-through.
    Let us know how it works!

13. ab4ka

ab4ka Guest

Don't spray anything on the boresnake! Just pull it thru a few times and you're done. Every now and then, I like to put some foaming bore cleaner in (from the breach) and let it sit for a while, then run a few patches thru it to get it good and clean. But for a quickie after a range trip, the boresnake is it!

They make a .357 rifle length boresnake that would be even better than the pistol one. Brownell's has them (as I'm sure most anyone else that sells them would).

14. If I would put my boresnake in the washer, Angel would have my BUTT. :(
    Spot

15. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I don't see any need to put it in the washer. If it ever gets dirty enough, just use some mild soap and hot water in the sink I had bore snakes that lasted years without needing to be washed.

16. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Yeah if they are too bad you can send them back, most of them have a lifetime warranty. I don't think washing is recommended by the manufacturer.

17. unclerob

unclerob Member

We are talking about Hoppe's BoreSnake, right?
    Take a peek on the back of the package it has washing instructions for hand washing and/ or machine washing in a laundry bag.
    Any other brand, YMMV.

18. Ridge

Ridge Well-Known Member

I almost picked one up today, but $16 seemed like too much for a fancy rope...maybe some other time...

19. It is kind of like having a DVR. Once you try it, you will never go back, and wonder how you survived without it.