Budget blaster: Hi-Point C9 9mm

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by wolf_from_wv, Nov 15, 2007.

1. John Taffin "Budget blaster: Hi-Point C9 9mm". Guns Magazine. Feb 2007. FindArticles.com. 15 Nov. 2007. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_2_53/ai_n17094478

Budget blaster: Hi-Point C9 9mm
    Guns Magazine, Feb, 2007 by John Taffin

Question time. How much would you pay for a brand-new, 9-shot, American-made 9mm semiauto with very easy to see sights, shoots to point of aim and total reliability thrown in? Would $500 sound reasonable? Sounds like a great bargain doesn't it? Now what if I told you it is possible to have all of this for only $149!!

That is not the sale price, that is not the wholesale price, that is not the best bargaining price--that is actually the retail price of the Hi-Point C9 9mm semiautomatic pistol.

OK, there is one drawback. It's ugly! Not as ugly as the pictures I've seen with the added comp and extended magazine, however it is not what you would call a swan, more like an ugly duckling. When I bring out my ivory stocked, engraved Colt Series 70 .45, the Hi-Point runs and hides behind the couch, when my Wilson .38 Super with giraffe bone grips enters the room, it peeks out from its hiding place. However, when someone enters with a Glock or some of the other similarly styled semiauto, the Hi-Point C9 boldly enters the room.

Wait! There's More

In addition to all of the other things mentioned, the Hi-Point C9 comes with a lifetime warranty and a second optional ghost-ring-style rear sight. The regular sighting system consists of a square notch rear sight with two red dots mated up with a sloping front sight with an inlaid white strip, both of which are very easy to see and set to hit point of aim.

The Model C9 is a straight blowback 9mm with a 3 1/2" barrel, polymer (tested) or aluminum frame, 1911-style magazine release, 8-shot magazine, magazine disconnect safety, easily operated thumb safety, and the slide locks back after the last round is fired. Grips are black polymer mated up with a grip frame with serrations both front and back and it fits my hand just about perfectly.

There are a few things not provided for the $149 price tag. There are no warning labels to be found anywhere on the C9, nor does it come with any kind of internal locking device. It does come with the now mandatory, or nearly so, trigger-locking device as well as a printed warning from the Massachusetts Attorney General. It also does not come with what one would call a great trigger. According to the Lyman Digital Trigger Pull Scale, the trigger pull on this single action semiautomatic is right at 11 1/2 pounds, yet it did not keep me from shooting some excellent groups.

The following results were obtained shooting the C9 at a combat-shooting distance of seven yards. All groups shot to point of aim and there were no malfunctions except one idiosyncrasy: the C9 will not feed the last round out of the magazine of Black Hills 115-grain JHP +P ammo. If I were to carry this particular excellent shooting round, I would place one round of 115 FMJ in the magazine first for total reliability.

The C9 is definitely one of the all-time bargains ever offered to shooters ranking right up there with the old $15 war surplus firearms available when I was a teenager. Fifteen bucks was a whole lot harder to come by in 1956 than $149 is now.

TEST-FIRE HI-POINT MODEL C9 9MM 3 1/2"

Load Velocity Group Size
    (brand, bullet weight, type) (fps) (inches)

BLACK HILLS 115 FMJ 1,123 1
    BLACK HILLS 115 JHP +P 1,213 1
    HORNABY 147 XTP JHP 878 1 1/4
    HORNADY 124 FP 1,047 1 3/8
    HORNADY 115 XTP JHP 1,059 1
    HORNADY 124 XTP JHP 1,111 1 3/8
    SEER 147 GOLD DOT JHP 833 2 3/8
    WINCHESTER WINCLEAN 124 BEB 11M 2 1/8

Notes: Groups the product of 8 shots at 7 yards

C-9

Maker: Beemiller Inc
    1015 Springfield Rd.
    Mansfield, OH 44906
    (419) 747-9444
    www.mkssupply.com

Distributor: MKS Supply
    8611-A North Dixie Drive
    Dayton, OH 45414
    (877) 425-4867
    www.mkssupply.com

ACTION TYPE: Blowback Semiauto
    CALIBER: 9mm
    CAPACITY: 8+1
    BARREL LENGTH: 3.5"
    OVERALL LENGTH: 6.75"
    WEIGHT: 25 ounces
    FINISH: Matte Black
    SIGHTS: Adjustable, 3-Dot
    GRIPS: Black Plastic
    PRICE: $149

2. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

Now that is what I like to see published about our Lady Lovely.... Hi-Points are inexpensive, quality weapons that won't break the bank, but will tear up the BG!

Great Post Wolf.

3. We all know its true, post that in other forums and listen to the gun snobs though :lol:

4. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

OK, there is one drawback. It's ugly! Not as ugly as the pictures I've seen with the added comp and extended magazine, however it is not what you would call a swan, more like an ugly duckling.

This I take great exception to! Ugly my arse! I call it very good looking, the only thing ugly might be if your on the wrong end of the thing :wink:

5. Newskate9

Newskate9 Well-Known Member

Bingo. Great read.

Hmmmmmm..... just for fun, maybe I will post a few places and see what happens! :lol: :lol:

6. I hesitate to reply, for fear of being labeled a post whore. But: one more vote: I love my C9! And my .40!

It's articles like this that may wear the granite stupidity from public consciousness, drop by drop, gradually eroding the stone of implacable moronity. Or some such simile. Whatever.

Just give me affordable, dependable, customizable firearms. Hi-Point fills the bill.

7. khmer_gentleman

khmer_gentleman Well-Known Member

PA
    thats one of the reviews that help me make up my mind on getting the c9

8. neothespian

neothespian Well-Known Member

I agree that this thing is far from ugly.... it's all a matter of perspective. If you ask me, I tend to think that the only ones who wouldn't like the look are the ones who I don't want to like it.

Not that I'm agressive or anything... It's just a scary piece of metal. And, as one of my favourite quotes from the movie "Snatch" goes:

"Heavy is good. Is sign of reliability. And, if it doesn't work you can always hit 'em with it"

9. Ari

Ari Guest

You all remember when the VW beatles hit here? Everyone sure thought they were ugly. I never hear anyone say that now.

10. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

i know the majority of the weight is from the slide but i swear i feel more comfortable with a weapon that has a little heft to it. and as for ugly, well, when it's dark in the middle of the night and a bg is breaking in my house the only pretty thing i want to see is repeated muzzle flashes from the snubby barrel of my c9. remember, all guns are black and shapeless in the dark

11. the only plaace i see the "ugly factor" coming into play is in a work situation. as messed up as it may seems the high point is not a classic weapon as far as joe blow public is concerned it looks to much like a toy. this is why i feel it gets the ugly sticker thrown on it a lot i however like the weapon quite well. and i do agree with who ever it was that said it doesnt matter what it looks blike in the dark. as far as relieability i dont own a hi point hand gun just a good ol 995 never had a problem with that though

12. Mumbles

Mumbles Guest

You know, I own an "ugly" hammer too. No state of the art grip or handle, no famous name brand, no slick finish, but it does what I need it to. I don't even know where I got it, probably a flea market, but I'm sure it wasn't Sears or Lowes. It has served me long and well, especially considering the abuse I give it. It has even been left out in the rain. But you know, with just a little TLC, it keeps right on going, and going, and going.

13. perldog007

perldog007 Guest

I am an experienced shootist of about 25 years. Have done a whole bunch of security work, carried everything from the Model 10, a baloney molester - er um I mean ballister molina, spfld 1911, glock 23, Beretta 96, Taurus pt99, Taurus 7 shot model 65, Beretta 21a, Charter arms undercover, Colt New Pocket (circa 1938) and Smith 25-5.

I had a bad day in traffic in '00. three years of surgery and rehab saw my collection shrink as I moved from place to place and cash got tight.

Ended up with only the 25-5 and the Colt .32 NP. Started shooting again recently and chose the Hi Point .40 and C9 to back on line with. Did not expect them to be anything but range guns.

I would hesitate to carry the .40 - but the C9 is becoming one of my favorite ever weapons. It carries well in the fobus, and I would do Israeli carry in a fanny pack or other bag/pocket arrangement.

It shoots better than I do (as does the .40) and for me it just handles well. I owned a ruger P series in 9mm - it's accuracy was not impressive enough for me to carry it to work. The pt99 was a tackdriver, but came NIB with a flawed extractor, very nice club until repaired.

I would carry the C9 for ccw over either of those.

My next acquisition will be the obligatory Ruger MkII/III .22 auto ( I don't know who made the rule that you had to own one but it's a good rule) . Then I will get the JCP .45 before my Taurus pt1911 I am pining for.

In short I like Hi Points for what they are, but the C9 is turning out to be much more than I expected.

14. ab4ka

ab4ka Guest

I don't think a Hi-Point is any uglier than a Glock or an XD, but no one worries about them being ugly. Oh well...I want everyone to keep being snobby...the more popular they get, the more they'll cost the rest of us.

15. Loopster

Loopster Well-Known Member

I don't think Hi-Points are ugly. They are big and black and form follows function. They may not be a "work of art" but I'm going to defend my home with a copy of a Monet print. :)

16. rimfirehunter

rimfirehunter Well-Known Member

Semi auto handguns that have box style slides are utilitarian in looks, read ugly, but the real beauty comes when you start pulling the trigger. If it works as advertised then its a beauty.

The C9 is one of my fun guns, it goes to the range everytime I go regardless of what I am shooting. It is also my glove box gun and secondary home defense pistol and it is 100% reliable, otherwise it would not be considered for any type of defensive use.

rimfirehunter