Chat Room.

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Help' started by Uraijit, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Now that we have a real server, how hard would it be to host a dedicated chat room? Obviously there is a lot to be done before we get there, but how realistic would that be?

2. rimfirehunter

rimfirehunter Well-Known Member

I too would like to see a dedicated chat room for the forum.

3. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    ahh yes a chatroom sounds good, and Uraijit its nice to see the familiar sig lol :lol:

4. GlockMan

GlockMan Well-Known Member

Research how to do it with this forum and if it will work I will add it.

5. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

I have some ideas about that, but I need to know what is compatible with phpbb forums. I have an IRC server program, but IRC is old and kinda out dated. Some suggestions would be nice from some of you more Tech savvy people out there? Any other options?

6. PrimalSeal

Moved to Forum Suggestions or Complaints as this is where this thread belongs....

7. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    I am not too sure on the PHP based chat, never used one. IRC works well Primal but do we each need to have the client installed to use it?

8. PrimalSeal

Taurus357 created a new chat room last night to replace the one that we have been using. We've already updated the links in the Chat Room Sticky in the Lounge. It's an IRC based chat room, the only thing is how would we imbed something like that into the web space that we have with this new forum? I am sure that Jones can do it, or GlockMan as well, we just need the access.

9. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    Yea they should be able to git er dun. If nto I don't see a problem with clicking a link to get there.

10. Taurus357

Taurus357 Well-Known Member

Don't see a need to invest so much time into a feature that few use as it is. I re did the chat room last night because it finally started to get enough users to warrant it, but think there is too much other junk to get done before takin on this project. Just my two cents.

11. Space

Space Well-Known Member

NH
  12. PrimalSeal

Honestly, more people would use it if it was an addition to the forum web space. I think that the fact being the old chat room was so unstable really turned some people off on it. This new one is great. It doesn't kick you out if you type a 300 word paragraph and try to post it. Something like that would be awesome for the forum as long as it was user friendly and you could bounce between the forum and the chat room without losing posts or having to re-login to each everytime you bounced back and forth.

13. GlockMan

GlockMan Well-Known Member

Once I have full up-load access I will try to get it done after a few other projects.