First pistol

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by JBgun, Nov 10, 2007.

1. JBgun

JBgun Guest

I bought a CF380 today at the gunshow, never have shot a semi-auto before and noticed when putting the bullets in the magazine was rather tight the spring that is. Is this normal. Have not shot yet. I am use to revolvers, for about two weeks, and wonder if anybody can give me some tips on shooting this pistol. I got 50 rounds of 95gr fmc.

2. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

With the mag springs being tight, that's something that will get better over time as the pistol is new and hasn't been broken in yet. As far as shooting this pistol, remember that it's a blowback operated pistol. Make sure you keep your wrist locked and take the recoil with your arms and shoulders so that your pistol doesn't jam. If you have any other questions, let us know.

3. JBgun

JBgun Guest

Thanks for the tips, what does blowback pistol mean? I have read that elsewhere but not sure what this is. Also is 9X17mm ammo the samething at .380 ammo? Will that fit into this gun?

Thanks

James

4. JasonJ

JasonJ Well-Known Member

blowback means the slide operation is powered by the superheated gases produced by firing the round....it pushes the slide back which simulataneously ejects the spent casing and cocks the striker for another round to fire.

5. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

JBgun, the answer to your question is yes. .380 ammo measures 9mm by 17 mm.

Makarov ammo is slightly longer at 9x18mm

Standard 9mm ammo (Luger) is 9x19mm.

Hope this helps.

6. rimfirehunter

rimfirehunter Well-Known Member

JB,

Blowback means the slide is operated by blowback pressure from the barrel when the round is fired.

Like Primal said, the mag spring will get easier to load the more you use it, but on your first few range sessions it will most likely be a pain to fully load. Until the spring gets easier to load I suggest you not try and shoot it with a full 8 rounds loaded, this sometimes causes feed issues and it frustrates some people. What I do with a new C9/CF380 mag is load it at home with a full 8 rounds, out it in my shooting box, safe or range bag and let it sit for a few days. Then I unload it by hand and reload to see if the spring has lightened up a bit.

The last couple new C9 mags I bought, same as the CF380 mag, took about 100-150 rounds to settle in enough to load the #7 and #8 rounds without using four letter words...LOL.

Oh yeah, Congrats on the CF380 purchase and feel free to pick our brains with any questions or issues you may have.

rimfirehunter

7. Loopster

Loopster Well-Known Member

The .380AUTO was my first HP and I love it! I think that you will too.

8. GlockMan

GlockMan Well-Known Member

See if someone at your local range can give you a pistol instructional class to help you learn the In's and outs of pistol shooting and care.

9. JBgun

JBgun Guest

Thank you everyone for helping to answer my questions. I just bought an old S & W model 19-3 at the end of October and that was the first time I shot a revolver but have put about 200 rounds of 38 special so far, had some work done on it by two gunsmiths and seems to be where it should be. Thought I would give an autoloader a try this time, my friend has a Hi Point 45 cal and likes it just fine, he never has any problems with his gun he told me.

I will fill up my mag tonight rimfirehunter and let sit a few days see if that will loosen up the spring. When I do fire, do I need to push the slide back or do I simply start firing? These i suppose are very simple questions but Im really pretty new to all this.

Thanks

James

10. GlockMan

GlockMan Well-Known Member

JBGun,

Please before you attempt to fire your new pistol have a experienced pistol shooter show you how to properly handle, charge and make safe your new gun. Not to belittle you in any way but I strongly suggest the above advice for such a green shooter as yourself.

11. Jones

Jones Well-Known Member

Ill have to second that.

(ohh and glad to have you here JB)

12. JasonJ

JasonJ Well-Known Member

id let the mags sit full of ammo whenever youre not shooting it.. about 2 weeks will for sure help loosen the spring.

when you go to put the loaded mag in, it'll be like you just loaded it, you slap it in securely, then rack the slide back and let it go forward into battery and it'll load the first round.

"into battery" means the slide is in the forward position, where it sits normally.

"racking the slide" means simply pulling it back to cock the striker and prepare the weapon to fire.

do have a firearms instructor go over the basics with you, since its your first auto loader.. it'll help a ton to be familiar.

13. Loopster

I have to agree with getting some instruction. Getting isntruction makes the difference in a good first chooting experience and a great one!

14. JBgun

JBgun Guest

How many rounds does this stock mag hold? I saw somewhere says eight but looks like I could maybe stick 3 more in it. I loaded it last night and will keep loaded so spring breaks in some, really tight.

15. Loopster

I don't recommend overloading your mag. May make the spring too weak over time. Also, may cause a lot of jams. Just my $.02 :)

16. 8 is the max, unless you bought a ten round mag.. But the one that comes with the cf-380, is an 8 rounder.