Gas saving tips

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by nicadflyer, Nov 10, 2007.

1. nicadflyer

nicadflyer Well-Known Member

Gas saving tips
    Use these suggestions at your own risk.
    Author does not guarantee the results.
    Your results may vary.

We all know how to get better fuel mileage. All we need to is go out and buy and “New†“Improved†“Hy-bird†“Hi-breed†“hi-bread†“HIGH DOLLAR†Truck-car motorboat motorcycle, yeah right.

This is part of what I discuss in my drivers classes.

Feather foot:
    When you start up from a stop or curb, it is best to press the gas pedal just a little and work up to speed at a medium pace. We all know that accelerating to fast (jack rabbit starts) wastes gas, but did you know that accelerating to slow also wastes gas. Driving to slow lugs the engine and keeps it from it’s torque band, thus more gas is used to get to speed. Using the torque band of your engine to get to speed saves gas and is easier on the engine.

Coasting to a stop:
    A lot of people like to “race†to a stop. By this I mean that they keep their foot on the gas until they need to brake. Try taking your foot off the gas pedal well in advance of the stop and let your vehicle slow down naturally before you start braking. You will notice that you are using less brake force to stop. Your mileage will go up and the wear on your brakes and tires will go down.

Cruise control:
    There are times when the cruise control will use more gas then save. All the cruise control is for is keeping the same speed, it is not for saving gas. OK, I can hear it now “ we were told it will save gas.†Yes it can “save gas†on flat roads by relieving you of trying to hold a steady pressure on the gas pedal.
    When you are driving up a hill, the cruise control will try to keep the speed that it is set to, no matter what. Sometimes not using cruise going up a hill and letting the vehicles speed drop a little and then using gravity to help get the speed back will do wonders for gas mileage. Caution, these maneuvers could cause unrest with the people behind you and is not recommended if you are in traffic.

MPG computer:
    If you are lucky enough to have one of these in you vehicle then the next step will be a lot easier. I use the IST Instantaneous fuel economy setting to judge how I am driving.

Driving speed:
    As I mentioned earlier it’s best to stay in the engines torque band. That’s one of the reasons for multi-geared transmissions. Every vehicle has it’s sweet spot where the best fuel mileage can be achieved. Some experts think that it is 55 MPH. For some reason that is way beyond me, 55 MPH is real close to my vans sweet spot. For my wife’s car it’s closer to 65 MPH.

Once you find the right spot for your vehicle…….well you know the rest.

DISCLAMER
    DON’T YA JUST LOVE THESE

The preceding is not a complete work. It is not based on any scientific fact, proof or principles. It may even be considered as a work of fiction. If all else fails, then you should just ignore it and go on with what you always have done.

2. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I saw on Mythbusters a while ago they did a test on driving with windows closed and using AC or shut AC off and have windows open they got better milage with windows down and AC off

3. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

do what i did:

Trade off your crappy gas-hog SUV (99 expedition) for a flex fuel taurus. 20 MPG on ethanol fuel that is 75 to 90 cents cheaper than regular fuel and made locally. How many of you can say you fill you tank with less than 20$?

SW

4. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S.

I wouldn't mind doing that, but with only ~10-12 E85 stations statewide, with none near me, it's just not a practical solution.

5. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I heard that.

6. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

if there is no E-85 station near you, find a mom and pop gas station and tell them to get it in. the station gets a subsidy for having an E-85 pump and many small stations survive on this subsidy. Many stations also dont know this subsidy exists. There was never an E-85 station near where i live until the subsidy caem along. there are now over 20 within a 40 mile radius.

SW

7. JasonJ

JasonJ Well-Known Member

all those reccommendations are good ones, and do in fact work.

one that hasnt been mentioned is to keep your vehicle in the best mechanical condition you can. a tune up and proper air pressure in your tires goes a long way.

8. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

I just recently learned that changing your shocks after 196,000 miles does WONDERS for your gas mileage.... and acceleration.... and braking... and power... and towing..... :oops: