Graphite Lubricant?

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by z71silverado98, Nov 5, 2007.

1. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Well-Known Member

Ive got a few tubes of graphite that ive been using on my CCW. after i clean and oil i lightly dust the rails i figure its better than sand or pocket lint sticking to it.

anyone have any opinion on using a small amount of graphite on guns? im not talking about globs of the stuff building up in the inner workings, just a very light dusting.

2. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

I've never tried it, but it sounds like it might be a good idea except if you use alot of oil on your guns. If the graphite gets mixed with the gun oil it will clump up, or at least I would assume so.

3. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

Primal is correct it will gunk if mixed with oil.

Guys did this in Iraq, If you use just the graphite it will be fine.

grapjite is for dusty environment.

4. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Also very good for the extremely cold evironments as well :wink:

5. PrimalSeal

All I know is that I keep a few tubes lying around so whenever the wife complains about the door hinges squeeking I can fix it quick without a lot of hassle..... It's good stuff.

6. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Well-Known Member

final oil is 1 quick spray of RemOil about 8" away then wipe down. And a fine dust of Graphite. theres really no wet oil visible. by dusting i dont mean pouring graphite on it. i have the tube facing up w/ the gun above it then squeeze the tube all you can see on the gun is a few specks of grey here and there.

7. PrimalSeal

You should be fine if that's all you're using. Just keep an eye on it and if it starts to gunk up make sure you clean it right away. That will eventually affect operation of the weapon.