help with my 9mm

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by breschini420, Nov 2, 2007.

1. breschini420

breschini420 Guest

i bought 2 9mm at the same time but waited a little while to shoot
    them. got to the range 2 weeks ago and got ready to start breaking
    them in. the first gun fired flawlessly.......but #2.....all i could get it to
    do was chamber the first round by pulling back on the slide.....now that
    round would fire....but nothing after that. the case would stovepipe and
    the 2nd bullet would get caught up in there also.....i would have to
    drop the mag to clean the 2 bullets out. then i would start over again.
    i used 4 different types of good ammo.......what do you guys and gals think?

thanks, andy

2. Decoligny

Decoligny Member

Have you traded the magazines back and forth between the C9s? This could be simply a case of a slightly out of whack mag. Try it and see. If this is the case, you need to adjust the feed lips.

If that is not the problem, maybe the feed ramp is not as slick on the one C9. Try polishing them both.

3. unscarred

unscarred Well-Known Member

Sounds like an ejection problem to me. Check for bent firing pin.

4. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

Sounds like the mag to me.

5. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

6. unscarred

unscarred Well-Known Member

How could the mag cause a failure to eject?

7. breschini420

breschini420 Guest

i did not trade mags ....so it is a trip to the range for me on monday
    (any excuse is a good excuse) then if that doesnt work....off to the HiPoint spa to get a good once over. thanks for the advice
    will post on monday after shooting
    andy

8. breschini420

breschini420 Guest

oh yeah....i do have a dremmel , but i dont want to polish the ramp
    i will let HiPoint decide whats the right thing to do if the mag isnt the problem.....

also, if the mag is the problem....will HiPoint replace it for me?

thanks, andy

9. Cool! Another newby! By that, I mean that my suggestions are fairly uninformed, and you can take 'em or leave 'em without feeling that you've been had by an expert.

That said:

I've had some mag problems on another pistol. For purposes of argument, lets say that this pistol (to which I may or may not admit) was one even more subject than HPs to getting slapped down, say -- oh -- a Jennings .22. And let's say that, hypothetically, it stovepiped like your HP.

One problem, maybe or maybe nor yours, could be the the mag lips are too loose, and the next round flips up while the previous round is doing its best to eject. But this d___ed pushy wannabe round insists on jumping up and getting in the way! Thereby shoving the expended round into stovepipishness.

It's happened in JennWorld. Or not: Can't say I've ever been there, in my recollection. :) But I've heard stories...

Get and use pliers. Oh, and polish the ramp.

Or, indeed, send it back to HP. If you're not comfortable with fixing it -- and they don't expect you to be -- they'll be happy to take care of it for your.

10. It sounds like the magazine lips are not adjusted. For a list of solutions, see:
    http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=1301&highlight=#1301

11. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Well-Known Member

I am sorry but i am new and do not know what "stovepipe" means. could someone help me out?

12. Corelogik

Corelogik Well-Known Member

A Stovepipe is when the fired casing gets caught in between the breechface and the chamber. Normally in this instance, the casing has it's empty mouth facing out,... looking like the pip from a wood burning stove, hence the name Stovepipe.

13. funkybassplayer

Thank you very much for helping the noob

14. Leland1

Leland1 Well-Known Member

Welcome funkybassplayer. I play guitar. I know this sounds repeditive but check the mag. And its always good to polish the feed ramp to keep it functioning smoothly

15. 45Man

45Man Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Leland1

Leland1 Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!! HATS OFF 45Man!!!

17. funkybassplayer

the term makes perfect sense. Great visual aid, 45man