Hi-Point vs Sks.. Choices :/

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by esududeny, Nov 24, 2007.

1. esududeny

esududeny Well-Known Member

K, I just sold that sks i had to a friend because he's really wanted one for awhile and I think like alot of guys here, "a man shouldn't be without a gun". I've come across another deal, where I can get another Yugo sks decently priced. And to be honest, I never got to shoot the sks I sold but have shot another friends sks. Here's my question:

At the risk of being sniped in 5 mins, If you had a choice between the 2 (Yugo sks or 995), which would you choose? They're 2 different carbines, I know that. But I wanted to hear what some owners have to say and owners of both.

2. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

i own an SKS and a 4095.

The SKS will reach out a lot further and touch a target. So By SNiped i assume you mean snipe back. I would trust the SKS to do a far better job at this.

If I had to choose only one Of these 2 for a SNIPE job I would hands down go with the SKS. No contest in my book.

3. Ari

Ari Guest

Though I have a very soft spot for the SKS the 995 is far handier! Cheaper to shoot and they work very well for clearing the home. It loads quicker and does not cost as much to pick up. But the SKS is a great design and I like it very much. I know they both use the name carbine but they are totally different tools...

The supplies on the SKS will one day slow down and dry up as they are mil surplus. If I was really thinking about getting a SKS to shoot I would have to be hunting for a nice Chinese made one as they are much nicer guns then the yugos.

4. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

CRAP you mean in five minutes they will be gone as someone else bought them.

In this case yes i'd go with the 995, cheaper all the way around

I did not get it until ari postyed sorry.

5. Depends on where/what the situation is. If I was living in a rural area and needed to be able to take shots at 100-125 yards max, the SKS wins hands down.

In an urban environment, the handiness of the 995 makes it the winner while the 15-50(realistic max)yard useful range of the cartridge is no handicap.

Both have a 10 round capacity unless after-market magazines are used, and those are generally less reliable that stock.

6. ronco52

ronco52 Well-Known Member

I would agree with thayldt21;

Cartridge:------Bullet Weight:--------Muzzle Velocity:------Energy @ 50 yds:
    9mm------------124 grains------------1120 fps---------------291 ft-lbs.
    7.62x39--------123 grains------------2300 fps---------------1278 ft-lbs.

when comparing the 7.62x39 cartridge to the 9mm at the relatively close range of 50 yards, the 7.62x39 cartridge has four times the energy of the 9mm. I assume at 100 yards or better the energy gap becomes greater? Don't get me wrong, I love the 9mm Carbine, and the SKS, but if the choice is limited to only these two, the SKS would be my choice.

7. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

I don;t think it matters for plinking.

The 995 is all around a cheaper plinker But other than that refer to my first post. LOL

8. patriot2980

patriot2980 Well-Known Member

I agree with NDS,
    It all depends on your situation. The SKS would be more reliable at a longer range in a rural sitting, but the 995 or 4095 carbines work well in a tight situation. Like NDS said, 10 round capacity on both unless you go aftermarket mags. There isn't an aftermarket mag that functions worth a hoot for the 995, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Tapco 20 rounder mag for the SKS. Several guys on this forum have purchased them for their tricked out SKSs and they say they work great. I haven't purchased one myself though. The 7.62x39mm in the SKS is going to be a much more potent round than 9mm. But it'll still make a bad guy think twice about screwing with a law-abiding citizen though.

9. ronco52

Had not given that possibility much thought.
    Any Idea how many 995 are made in a year? Or how many SKS are imported and sold in a year? The Yugos should be considerably more by numbers. I cant see the ammo on either one drying up, to many other weapons use both of them. I would think from owning and shooting each of them they should both last a long long time if taken care of.

The Yugos even used if you picked a good one may be the better made of the two and the pricing, add ons and all, are comparable on both Carbines. Also spare parts are every where for the SKS, and Hi point has the lifetime warranty as long as you can get it to them.
    Grab the one your the best shot with and your good to go!

10. I've had 2 Yugo SKS's...too heavy and bulky...now the SKS I SHOULD have kept was the Chi-com Norinco factory /26\

Sweet little rifle, but I paid $125 otd for it and sold it for $275...I'm never one to turn down a profit...;)

11. JasonJ

JasonJ Well-Known Member

if it was an "ive got 5 mins to decide..." sort of thing: id have to consider how easy it was to acquire either gun.

in my area, its kinda tough finding a 995.. SKS is all over. so id pick the 995. however all things being equal, id go SKS.

12. esududeny

thanks for all the info. guys. I really appreciate how informative this has been so far. The sks is $150 shipped to my ffl. I guess i should jump on that.

13. ronco52

For $150, you cant go wrong, even if you hate it, you can sell it quickly and get your cash back.
    Most people are surprised at how much fun and how adaptable they can be.

14. esududeny

Can't the sks be converted to work in an urban scenario? I mean, change the stock to maybe a telescoping stock, pistol grip, 20 round mag, etc? I will definitely end up getting a 995, there's no question about that. I'll need something to shoot at the indoor range during the winter, as I'm waiting for my pistol permit to get in (however long that'll take :/ ). Just didn't know if I should pass on this and get my 995 sooner.

Another thing is Patriot2980 mentioned the 20 round mags work great on the sks', but I've heard from afew people the opposite. What the general consensus on this?

15. Aftermarket mags are crap in SKS's...stick with the 10 rounders or find an SKS made for AK mags (SKS D or SKS M)

Replacement mags are jam o matics...

16. esududeny

I just saw Panoz77's pics of his tricked out sks in the Gun Gallery section. I'd do something very similar to that eventually. I wonder if he's got an SKS D/M?

17. esududeny

OR I can just skip on this deal, get my 995 now and buy an ak later. Eventually I was going to add an ak to my little collection. I'm confused lol

18. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

Priorities my man, priorities!!!

Never said it'd be easy to choose did they? :wink:

19. neothespian

neothespian Well-Known Member

The two guns are for far different applications.

The 995 is purely an Urban defence weapon, made with weight and economy in mind. It's purely for the civilian market and maximizes the most common pistol caliber rounds. Applications for the 995 are for home defence, corporate security (I've even heard unconfirmed reports of some Pacific oil rigs keeping 995's on board for limited use), and civilian market applications (such as possible police use).

The SKS is purely a military weapon, using the 7.62x39. It's purpose is far more heavy duty than anything the 995 is built for. Various wars in the past 60 years have proven that. Can't say much more beyond that.

In short: It's hard to choose one of the two since I can't be in two places at once, since they were both designed for the opposite ends of the combat spectrum.

20. tju1973

tju1973 Well-Known Member

As much as I love my 995-- in a SHTF situation, I would probably take the SKS. Parts are easier to get even right now, the weapon is a bigger hitter than the 995, and it would put bigger meat on the table ie deer, hogs, wayward cows easier than the 995...

Sorry!

But my suggestion is to get both..

:D