I want to start reloading and was wondering...

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by JoeDoe22, Nov 20, 2007.

1. JoeDoe22

JoeDoe22 Well-Known Member

Is this a good press to get?

http://tinyurl.com/37g7nd

If not, what do you recommend and what all would I need to start?

2. rimfirehunter

rimfirehunter Well-Known Member

The Lock N Load is an execellent press, but my preference for a Progressive would be the RCBS Pro 2000 because I like RCBS when it comes to progressive presses. I had a loaner RCBS Pro 2000 for a few months and it was hands down one of the best presses I had ever used. expensive but this is the Caddy of Presses if you ask me. Too bad the fellow who loaned it to me came back for it after a 9 month over seas deployment..LOL!

For low volume reloading I prefer Lee 4 hole Turret presses and for precision rifle loading I use a Lee single stage and Lee Hand Press.

3. .45acp

.45acp Well-Known Member

I have a singlr stage Lee that I load 9mm on and a Dillon XL650 that I load .45acp on.

The Lee is simple and fun.

I have one complaint with the Dillon, it's too fast.

4. rzrbax

rzrbax Member

Can't beat Lee Precision reloading equipment

Lee offers most bang for the buck...................Bill

5. Ari

Ari Guest

I feel it is easier to learn the process of reloading with a single stage press. There are many things to learn at first from setting up the press to getting the process right.

6. Its either Blue or Red when it comes to progressives from what 90 percent of the big time loaders say on the various boards.

The great majority of them will scream blue all the way (Dillon) or nothing, then the rest of them will say red all the way (Hornady) or both (me).

You will find a smattering of fans of the non-Hornady/Dillon machines but they aren't nearly as popular.

Most people consider the Hornady Lock n Load AP a direct competitor to the Dillon 650 at a much cheaper price (plus 1000 free bullets is NOTHING to scoff at). The Hornady does everything that the 650 does at a price that is cheaper than the non-autoindexing Dillon 550. Plus free bullets!

So if you really want the name, go with Dillon but if you want somethign just as good for cheaper (better bang for the buck) go with the Hornady. Both companies offer a lifetime awesome warranty no matter what. Lee is 2 years I think.

If you really want to get into reloading with a progressive, that press you linked to is a perfect press however you will have to spend a good chunk of money on other accessories. Scale, dies, etc, etc.

Do you really want to start off with a progressive?

7. JoeDoe22

Honestly? I have no idea what to do.

Thats why I asked what to get, all I will be doing is .45's and 9x19's.

Do you think I should start with something simpler?

8. Ari

Ari Guest

I suggest a Lee Anniversary kit

[​IMG]

You would not have a whole bunch of money tied up in this

A get started reloading page
    http://www.sec77.com/reload.html

Now I do not know you.. Maybe you could jump right on the type of press you posted and get it down and working good. The way my weird mind works I could not. But now that I know the process I could....

9. Big question, do you shoot a lot? Do you want to make tons and tons of ammo non-stop?

If you do, then a progressive is the way to go.

If not, and you just want to make a box of 50 every so often, then a kit like the Anniversary kit listed above would do the trick.

The only thing that I really don't like in the Anniversary kit is the scale. It works but its a pain in the butt to use since its very simple.

Progressive is great if you really want to pump out ammo by the bucketload. Single stage is great for learning.

What are your plans for shooting?

10. JoeDoe22

I try to shoot 150-200 every couple weeks, Sometimes I can find the time and sometimes I cant.

11. .45acp

.45acp Well-Known Member

In that case get the single stage Lee like in the anniversary kit.

13. Ari

Ari Guest

Really? you don't like the scale? I think that scale is something for what it is made out of. I keep the lock on it clicked on having the drag of the lock makes it easier to set right. But it will measure down to a few flakes of powder.

14. The Lee anniversary kit(35th anniversary) is no longer available. They replaced with the the 50th anniversary kit which has a different die retention system. Unfortunately it does not appear to be available with the manual.

15. Ari

Ari Guest

Oh man! That sucks LOL. I have heard about this new retention system. But have not studied it. I guess it is fast

16. Oh its not the accuracy that I doubt in the least, its perfectly 100 percent functional and accurate, I'm just spoiled.

I have a nice RCBS beam scale and a RCBS electronic scale so when I was over my buddy's house showing him how to setup his new anniversery kit, we both were just turned off to the usability aspect of the Lee scale.

I am going to show him the Frankford Arsenal 35 dollar electronic scale that apparently is the cat's meow when it comes to cheap scales.

17. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

I took one look at the scale that came with my reloading stuff and went out and bought a $60.00 digital scale that's good to .02 grains. The only thing I don't like about the scale is the fact that the damn thing turns off if it's not been used for 30 seconds. When you're busy measuring powder, that can get kinda annoying. But, it's a good scale.

18. Ari

Ari Guest

I think I have made my mind up to bypass the Lee turret press and go for Lee Pro1000 for 9mm. It is less money and loads even faster... The only thing in bulk pistol I need to reload is 9mm... So I can still do everything else on my single stage.

19. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

Ari if you don't mind could you give a link to the Lee Pro1000 for 9mm???