In home shooting range

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by 1knight, Nov 11, 2007.

1. 1knight

1knight Well-Known Member

Hey guys this might sound crazy but I was wondering if there is a inhome shooting system for shooting in my basement I found something close but they dont make a barrel for Hi-point http://www.nrange.com/

2. Taurus357

Taurus357 Well-Known Member

Yea I've long considered options for making my own in-home firing range. I havn't seen too many realistic options as of yet.

3. 1knight

I was gonna put it in my basement and put an exhaust fan down there and the best idea I could come up with is using sandbags and making a wall that is about 1-2 feet thick to catch the bullets.

4. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

rubber bullets are more realistic options. in many cases local ordinace prohibits usage of firearms inside city limits. where i live the only exception is in defense of life or limb or under the direction of LEO's

SW

5. 1knight

where would I find rubber bullets and would it sound like a regular gunshot

6. Loopster

Loopster Well-Known Member

Sounds like an intersting idea, but I think I'd get in a lot of troble even suggesting it at my house. :wink:

7. That would be neat but how many zeros in that price tag? my freinds and i have been considering building an indoor range on the edge of one of our chunks of land for a little while now the only thing that woorys me is insurance.................

8. SteveD

SteveD Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago on the outdoor channel they showed that SASS people using wax bullets for indoor shooting and having no problems with it. Something to think about.

9. Colibris (.22s)

They're powered by a primer and have no additional powder charge. Indeed: they don't have enough power to cycle an automatic, so if you're not using a revolver, you'll have to rack the slide after every round.

But they're safe.

(Or so I hear: I don't have any yet, but that's my plan.) You can get personal experiences here:

http://bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/index.php

10. Taurus357

WAX BULLETS! How cool! Might be hard to hand load, would have to use very hard wax, but might be able to actually run that through a press. Anyone with bullet casting setup be able to cast me some so I can try this?

11. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

I think it was OEK that said on the old forum what he does is take some wax, melt it and just pushes his cases into the wax and shoots it with no powder, just the primer to set it off. I don't remember how he said he did it, but IIRC he had good results....

12. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I believe it was just melted and poured into the case. I've intended to try this for a while now. Just haven't gotten around to it. Target practice for $0.02 per round? That's almost as cheap as .22!

13. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Ive played around with wax bullets a bit. They DO NOT work well in autos. Too much debris flying around gumming things up and also you have feed issues. They do well in revos if you enlarge the flash hole in the case and use a hotter than normal primer. I made a few for .357 and .45 LC when i was younger. I had the best luck going out and buying a shallow cookie sheet and pouring in wax about 3/8-1/2 inch deep. I melted the wax with the double pan method. When it cooled i just pushed the case down into it until it bottomed out and wiggled a littel to get it back out. Buy trhe cheapest kitch candles you can get, they're high in beeswax which makes the bullets a little softer. Rubber bullets can be had from midway USA and also X-ring mfg if theya re still in buisness. Rubber bullets are better cause you can go pick them up and re-use them five or six times.

Both require enclosed 1/2-3/4 inch plywood backstops for safety.

REMEMBER!!! if you try this DOT NOT USE POWDER! PRIMER ONLY! Rubber or wax can be lethal at close ranges so watch what you doing!

SW

14. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Ever chrono w wax or rubber bullet with just a primer? Obviously not that much mass to propel, so I'm curious what kinda speeds it gets... What about like 1/32 gr of powder? Not saying I'm gonna try it...

15. Taurus357

I think I might go and collect the wifes old candles. You can get the big 3-6 wick candles at walmart that weigh a few pounds pretty cheap. I imagine this would be the best way of gettin the wag. If I do this then I can target practice in my back yard since im not in the city limits! By golly i think I might be onto a new project. Just gotta get the reloading press out of it's crate so i can make up some primed cases. Need to try out this enlarging the flash hole deal to see if it makes a difference.

16. Taurus357

primer only shots make very little noice, just a lite crack of the primer.

17. steyraug223

steyraug223 Guest

I know that at a major gun remanufacture (cant remember which i saw it on the history channel) They test all the guns going back to servicemen by firing into water. It slows down the bullet faster than a standard dirt backstop, and won't cause permanant damage. As an idea have a target in front of a small manmade waterfall, it may work. Also i wouldn't teach the kids to shoot in the basement, the firing space would be a little to small.

18. eqfan592

eqfan592 Well-Known Member

Not sure if a waterfall would work as affectively as a body of water (I could get technical as to why, but I'll just leave it at that :) ). You could try using a non-Newtonian fluid in containers though. I'm not sure if anybody has shot a non-Newtonian fluid with a gun to see how effectively it would stop the bullet, but if it worked like I think it might, the more pressure the bullet applied the more the fluid would stiffen. I don't think it would work with armor piercers’ though. And of course you would need some way of collecting it as it spilled out so you didn't make a huge mess….

Wow, that's a lot of rambling there. Ok, going away now... :)

19. SteveD

SteveD Well-Known Member

non-Newtonian fluid ???
    What is it please.

20. Taurus357

Here's some stuff I found...

What is a non-Newtonian fluid?

Vocabulary
    Newtonian fluid*
    non-Newtonian fluid*
    viscosity*
    You have to pull the trigger on a water pistol to get the water to squirt out. To make the water to come out faster, you have to pull the trigger harder. Fluids resist flow. This phenomenon is known as viscosity.

Newton devised a simple model for fluid flow that could be used to relate how hard you have to pull the trigger to how fast the liquid will squirt out of the pistol. Picture a flowing liquid as a series of layers of liquid sliding past each other. The resistance to flow arises because of the friction between these layers. If you want one layer to slide over another twice as fast as before, you'll have to overcome a resisting force that's twice as great, Newton said. The slower one layer slides over another, the less resistance there is, so that if there was no difference between the speeds the layers were moving, there would be no resistance. Fluids like water and gasoline behave according to Newton's model, and are called Newtonian fluids.

But ketchup, blood, yogurt, gravy, pie fillings, mud, and cornstarch paste DON'T follow the model. They're non-Newtonian fluids because doubling the speed that the layers slide past each other does not double the resisting force. It may less than double (like ketchup), or it may more than double (as in the case of quicksand and gravy). That's why stirring gravy thickens it, and why struggling in quicksand will make it even harder to escape.

For some fluids (like mud, or snow) you can push and get no flow at all- until you push hard enough, and the substance begins to flow like a normal liquid. This is what causes mudslides and avalanches.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2XQ97XHjVw[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuzn8wh8Fys[/ame]

http://www.google.com/search?q=non-...avclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS247US247