Line on original PLO type 3 Milled AK

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Silicon Wolverine, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Anybody have a clue what this might be worth? Its built on a custom reciver that is going to be milled by a company in tennesee. This gun is a kit that will be put together by a local fellow who is looking to sell it once complete. The wood is about 75%, the finish is about 60% and the bore is good to very good. I cant find ANY PLO marked guns anywhere on the net and this may be a once in a lifetime find if i can get a price that fair. The guy says he's going to want aobut 2800$ or so for it once its done. Way out of line or way chaep? Im at a loss on this one.

SW

2. GlockMan

GlockMan Well-Known Member

Way too many counterfeit guns out there and people get burned every day, how is he going to certify the origins of the gun for insurance purposes?

3. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

GlockMan brings up a good point, as authenticity of the weapon and some kind of history of it's origin as proof of value. The burden of proof is on him, and don't let yourself get suckered into paying all that money for a souped up WASR.

Honestly, the only way I'd pay $2800.00 for an AK is if that thing was solid gold.

4. 8andsand

8andsand Well-Known Member

I would pay that much if it was a legally transferable full auto AK47. But back to the topic. Have you seen any other kits he has put together? Does he do a quality build? Why is he going to build it just to sell it? I also agree that some proof of pedigree should be provided about the kit he is using.

5. Ari

Ari Guest

I dont think much of it.. There are arsenal AKs out there for a whole lot less then this. (If you want a high quality AK that is) I do not think there is any history value there. It is just a kit built AK as far as I am concerned... Sorry I do not mean to sound like a butt head it has been a long day. So if I sound like one I am sorry

6. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

more details. First i looked at the kit last night. The gun has the original reciver parts with it (saw cut) with correct PLO markings and the serial dates to 1952. the gun also has remnants of the odd colored green paint that PLO guns were found with. there is no certificate of authenticity or anyhting like that but after comparing the markings on the reciver pieces with ones in my ID books, im calling this one real.

As for the guy building it, his work is top notch. He has built 3 other milled AKs from parts kits and maybe 25 or 30 stamped kits. Also whoever is building the reciver is putting on the same serial so its numbers matching and also recreating the original PLO markings to match the ones in place. THe guy is building this gun "for himself" but i know him well enough to know if you flash a wad of bills, deals can be made.

SW

7. Hmmm.

2800 dollars.

Would be awesome to have a real Russian AKM however the price is really steep.

If I had 2800 dollars to blow on a single gun, I would be going for a semi auto machine gun belt fed or more likely, a 50 cal Barret.

I really don't think I would ever spend that much on an AK unless it was a transferable full auto but in reality, you would never get a full auto transferable AKM for under 15,000 dollars or so.

Is it worth it? Possibly. Is it worth it to do? If you want to look like a king in front of a bunch of AKM nerds (like me) then do it but if you take the gun to the range, everyone around you is going to just look at you as though you have nothing more than a 350 dollar WASR 10.

If I had 20-30k in spare loose change gun money that I had to blow, would I do it? Yes.

If I only had 2800 dollars and wanted to get myself ONE single expensive gun would I do it? No. I would buy something else like a belt fed or a 50 BMG rifle or other unique item or I would buy several various guns. I like variety.

Edit: one more thing, is a US built gun (with US reciever) truely worth 2800 dollars? If it was a real pre-ban Russian/PLO rifle, yes, but you are still techinally looking at a modern US made gun thats emulating an Russian rifle using some of the OEM parts. Kind of like if you took a plain jane 1969 mustang 6cyilnder and made it look like a Shelby. Is it a Shelby even though it has all the parts of one? Nope, still technically a 6 cylinder car.