Meds?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by waltham41, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Who here has any plan for what to do about their meds if the SHTF?

I know Im not the only old fart here that has to take BP meds and all that good stuff.

A lot of them cost too much to keep a large stockpile and go bad after a certain time anyway

2. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

I don't know anything about meds, well any way.

Mabey some alternatives like the natural cure type stuff.

Idon'tknow like st johns wart, it does something :?:
    Maby some wierd plant that grows in the back yard.

After that survival takes priority, I'd rob the local pharmacy,

ONLY IN A true shtf situation.

The pharmacy would be abandoned any way.

not theft or looting scavaging for survival only.

3. Hmmm maybe someone has written a book on taking care of common illnesses and conditions if medicine is not avaliable.

Where O where are you mrmerriweather!

4. rimfirehunter

rimfirehunter Well-Known Member

About the only long term meds the wife and I need is Nexium. I keep at least a months supply on hand at ALL times for each of us. My med kits contain a GOOD supply of OTC's in the event we are unable to get the Nexium. The OTC's work ok but not nearly as good as the Nexium does, we have to be a bit more careful about eating habits when taking the OTC's though.

Folks with more chronic problems may find themselves in a VERY bad situation if they run out of their maitenance meds and unable to get refills. This was a very BIG issue after Katrina, some people didnt even know all the meds by name that they were taking!!!

A good plan is to make a packing list of ALL your perscription meds, who perscribed it, pharmacy that filled it, refill #'s etc etc. Make duplicates of these papers and then make sure you keep them with your gear.

rimfirehunter

5. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I have to take many scrips so I keep a list in my wallet, on my medicine cabinet and in my Medicalert bracelet also hanging up beside my cabinet is a blue bag for ALL my meds to be thrown in so it caan go with me to the hospital or where ever. On all my list I include what strength hoiw many times aday I take it and WHAT MY ALLERGIES ARE as I am allergic to several medication

As for SHTF situation when they run out I'm S.O.L.

6. I'm so glad you brought this up; I've been meaning to start a thread on meds for some time.

First off, my situation will differ from yours. I have a chronic disease that necessitates meds regularly. It is such that without my meds, I can go perhaps a month without completely breaking down. Yeah, life sucks; wear a cup. Anyway, meds are key to my survival so meds are key to my survival gear.

Beyond my own needs, I seem to have the propensity to being around when bad stuff goes down. In the past few years I've been either the first or second individual to arrive on-scene at a half-dozen critical emergencies. I've had to deal with multiple car accidents and resulting injuries: compound fractures (bone sticking out the side of the leg), head trauma, bleeding, &c. Thankfully, only one of these accidents was fatal. Still, there's a helpless feeling you get when a man is trapped dying inside a flipped gravel truck, bleeding out, and all you can do is kneel in the blood and the diesel and talk to him as he dies.

So my med kit is designed as much with other people in mind as myself.

I keep my med kit with me at ALL times. It's MOLLE compatible so I can easily strap it onto my MOLLE BOB.

[​IMG]

It's a tri-folding medical MOLLE pouch.

[​IMG]

And here are the medical supplies I keep in it. There's more gear in here but it's of a survival nature: firestarters, blastmatch, space blanket, tools, pocket chainsaw, &c. My med kit is a mini BOB.

[​IMG]

Starting from the top, left to right:

Folding water basin
    Duct Tape Bandages by Nexcare (the best sticking band-aids ever)
    Surgipads (high absorbency)
    Butterfly sutures
    Cottonballs
    Excedrin Headache (my preferred painkiller although my Dr. has fits that I take it)
    Pill Rod (more on this later)
    Mini-Mag LED
    Medical scissors
    Assorted safety pins
    Eye wash
    Hair cutting scissors (wickedly sharp)
    Curad medical tape
    Surgical gauze
    Tampons (more on these later)
    Tourniquet
    Skin rash/infection salve
    Nail Clippers
    Mini Sharpie marker
    Cold meds
    Iodine
    Tweezers
    Cloth tape
    Burn salve

The Pill Rod:
    This is my own concept, although I'm sure someone else has thought of it somewhere along the line. The pill rod is a series of threaded cylinders used to store fishing flies. They're available at most sporting goods stores or Wal-Mart. I highly suggest buying the most expensive, most durable ones you can find. They're water-tight and if you put a cotton ball in each container, will keep pills from rattling as you travel. Rattling kills pills. Disintegrates them. Don't let it happen.

Each med is labeled on the outside and I try not to mix pills. Starting from the top:

Aspirin - Aspirin can kill me. The reason I keep it on top is in case I'm near a heart-attack victim. Don't want to have to dig for it.

Excedrin

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) extra strength

Tramadol (Ultram) narcotic pain-killer/muscle relaxer

Loperamide/Simethecone (Immodium Adv.) A life-saver in the woods or pretty much anywhere.

Hydroxyzine - high strength decongestant. Mostly prescribed for it's calming effect. Use in high-stress situations as a focus aid.

Prescription Ibuprofin 600MG

Pamprin - PMS relief

Hydrocodine (Vicodin) Pain killer

Benadryl

Claritin

Promethazine (Phenergan) - anti-nausea

Entocort/Pentasa - these are my personal meds to keep me alive.

Not in the pill rod are Pseudoephedrine HCL tabs (little red pills)

It would be a good idea to get more than one rod (the one shown is actually two rods coupled together). Instead of having one long one (the longer it is, the weaker it is) you could have two shorter ones. One with your personal meds and one with universal meds.

Besides the meds already listed you might consider adding meds especially valuable for barter. These could include:

Allergy/Sinus
    All pain killers
    Sleep aids
    Caffeine tabs
    Nicotine aids
    Throat lozenges
    Toothache medicines
    Contact solution

Baically, anything that makes people more comfortable is valuable.

If you examine the packages of most specialty pills (Tylenol cold/flu/sinus &c.) you realize you can get the same effect from other pills on this list just by combining them. Don't pay extra for extra features without checking to make sure you don't already have a pill that covers that.

Tampons: these ones are by OB and have no applicator. These are excellent for bloody noses and deep puncture wounds (also bullet holes). Some women dislike using these so I normally keep a couple of the mini-tampons with the expanding applicator. Since the girls I work with know this, I'm currently out. By the way, if you have some sort of macho reservations that prevent you from purchasing tampons yourself, you seriously need to look into growing a set of balls; your shorts will fit better.

On meds in general. For barter, you can't beat meds. A couple thousand off-brand Tylenol tabs will run you ten bucks. Same for other pain-killers, cold medicine, allergy medicine, &c. You can stockpile them and no one cares. They have decent shelf-life.

If you have access to prescription meds, I strongly suggest getting all of them filled when you can. You never know what may come in handy down the road. You could probably get someone to fork over an awful lot of money/goods for the right pain killer if they *needed* it (read: junkie) badly enough. They're light, small, and easy to carry a lot of.

Meds make you valuable. People come to me regularly (especially at work) when they don't feel well. They know I can take care of them. I don't mind because a. I like them and b. it ensures my meds are rotated regularly.

Meds and medical devices keep you and others alive and functioning. But you must invest the time to research and learn how to use your med kit properly. I've been successful in treating emergencies only because I cared enough to learn.

Some other things you may want to consider adding to your med kit/BOB:

The Pill Book. Handy reference to meds and their uses/side effects. If you ever are in a SHTF situation and have to raid/scrounge this book will be invaluable.

QuikClot (www.QuikClot.com) This stuff is absolutely the best available for stopping life threatening blood loss. It will stop arterial spurting in seconds. Hunters should absolutely carry this. If there's an accidental discharge or you cut your leg open with a skinning knife QuikClot will save you. Period.

Latex gloves
    Purell
    Needle/Thread
    Nasal Trumpet
    Small mirror
    Scalpel
    Hemostat

There's always more things to learn and add. It's an evolution. Never think you know it all or have it all. Evolve.

Any meds are better than no meds. Any tools are better than no tools. Med prep is a skill you learn and progress in.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

-'bridge

7. billybybose

billybybose Guest

Good post Bridge count me as a convert.Im gonna start researching.Waltham I see your an oakie from muskogee :lol: Is that tornado alley?Any chance your doctor will be open to emergency prep and help you out?Can you maybe ration your meds a little so that when its time to refill you have some left over thereby each refill growing a stash(safety first of course)?Dang I miss Mr.Moogle.I thought he wasnt leaving till dec.1 :(

8. pills

pills Guest

I just went and bought more kids medicine. Seems they are wanting to pull it off of the shelfs so I bought enough to last until 09.

I am a bug in guy but have a large container in the bathroom that will hold all of the medicine if we need to get out quick.

9. Me and you are in the same boat, I keep a list in my wallet of the meds, doses and how many times a day. :shock:

10. Very good post stonebridge, I need to get off of my rear and get something like you have set up.

My wife and I both have to take meds, and life would definitely take a turn to the worse if the SHTF and meds were not available.

11. rimfirehunter

rimfirehunter Well-Known Member

stonebridge,

Awsome post!!!!

12. .45acp

.45acp Well-Known Member

I also have meds to take but usually have a 3 month supply.

13. We are lucky . All I take is vitamins and Angel takes collesterol meds.
    We have a trifold kit also , but ours is od green it is for a grab and go kit.
    It has a lot of OTC meds and an assortment of first aid supplies . At home we have a copy machine paper box that we have first aid supplies in , another for vitamins , and another for cold / flu meds. Our biggest problem is the date runs out before we use it , so it gets flushed and we start all over again .
    Spot

14. I will mention that there has been an increased effort to make sure that only the people who've been prescribed certain drugs have them. It would be a good idea to photocopy or otherwise preserve documentation that shows you are supposed to have said medication. Another hassle, to be sure, but I'd hate to have someone have his lifeline taken away.

If you have (universal) meds that are approaching their expiration date, and you don't want to keep them, look into donating them to a food pantry if they're unopened. Or a church first aid kit, or a crisis center. Most meds are good for a long while after they're expired, some up to 14 years.

http://www.all-drugs-online.com/All-drugs-health-news/4891.aspx

I would most strongly suggest you keep them yourself. It's not an on/off switch. Meds gradually lose potency. So, for instance, if you're in an emergency/survival situation and you notice you're aspirin's expired, try it first and just up the dosage a little if necessary.

-'bridge

15. Thanks for the site and tip on the out of date drugs.
    Spot

16. gunzenhausen

gunzenhausen Guest

Meds

Great topic, guys. I'm a nurse and I have to admit that this subject is one dear to my own heart. That's one of the best stocked emergency bags that I've seen lately. Good job.

As for medicines, that is one subject that worries me. I've invested in a book called PLANETARY HERBOLOGY to try to get an insight of what mother nature has to offer that the drug store might not be able to supply in a worse case scenario. Amazing the medicinal qualities of every day plants growing in your own back yard.

17. There is an older paperback book called ( The Herb Book by John Lust ).
    It has a lot of info in it , but the pictures are drawn not photographed.
    Spot

18. bombadillo

bombadillo Member

Did you address the T.A.C. or triamcinolone (one in the same, people call it different things) Also, about the rx meds, do you just happen to need most of those or did you tell your doc that you're putting together a med pack and he gave you an rx for them. Most of the rx things except the ultram have decent generic otc coverage for them anyway.

19. Fenix

Fenix Guest

Re: Meds

You might find this interesting then: http://www.nursehealer.com/ just click the link on the left that says healing, its a pretty decent web site with a lot of holistic links.