MilSurp Newb: I Cant Open Tin! lol

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by esududeny, Nov 23, 2007.

1. esududeny

esududeny Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I just picked up a tin of lightball 54r. Im home lookin at the thing, and wondering " how the **** do I open this???". A bit early too start hammering away (especially after the party we had last night). Suggestions please???

2. Bushman98

Bushman98 Well-Known Member

Can opener?!? The manual kind.

3. esududeny

tried looking for that. my fiance updated everything in the kitchen, so she's got one of those electric can openers. I'm about to run next door to my buddie's and borrow his for a sec.

4. Ari

Ari Guest

wire cutters? Teeth! :lol:

5. can opener may work. They like to pull the "buy two tins, get a free tin opener).

I'm not exactly sure on those things tho. Check for a starting tab kinda like on an old fashioned can of sardines.

6. esududeny

thanks for the replies guys. can opener didn't work. Well, the regular kitchen kind didn't, i don't know if they have any "special" ammo can openers. Anyway, I just went into my tool box, pulled out a hammer with the nail puller end, and went to town. But not before I said to myself " Hammer time!" 8)

7. JasonJ

JasonJ Well-Known Member

what i used was a sharp metal chisel and hammer. i hammered the chisel in at an angle and drove it sideways opening up the end of the can.

8. You need one of these bro:
    [​IMG]

http://www.impactguns.com/store/OT1162.html

Theres a bunch on ebay right now too... :wink:

9. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

Would a P38 work on one of those?

10. If your the Hulk, sure! :shock: :wink:

Too thick bro....

11. I got at least 6 of those century can openers when I bought 6 tins of ammo a while back. I wonder what I did with them?