My Bug-out medkit

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by Fenix, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Fenix

Fenix Guest

This is the first medkit that i've built from scratch so I wanted to get some reviews on it. It's contents include:

Hand Sanatizer- 2oz
    Disposable Gloves - 1 pair
    Tweezers - 1
    Bandaids- 40 (1/2 regular + 1/2 waterproof) in a small waterproof container
    Waterproof adhesive tape - 10 yd.
    Rolled gauze - 5 yd.
    Cloth tape - 5 yd.
    Ace Bandage
    3x3 In. Gauze pads - 5
    Steristrips - 12
    Iodine Swabsticks - 4
    Extra Strength Excedrin (works for me better than any other)
    Dramamine- small bottle
    A+D Ointment
    Neosporin
    Alcohol Swabs - 10
    "Elbow" bandages - 5
    4x4 gauze pads- 2
    Eye Pad- 1
    Butterfly Bandages- 10
    Cortozone
    Instant Cold Pack - 1
    Benzoin Tincture Swabs- 2

This is my personal kit that would be kept in either my car or BoB (haven't decided yet). I'll be headed to find a pouch for all of it tommorrow. Ya'll have given me great advice so far so fire away :wink:

2. Most of my medical advice can be found here:

http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=328

I'd add at least one dose of aspirin in case you're near a heart attack victim, a pair of scissors, a scalpel, some sort of tourniquet (rubber strap, hose, etc.), and if money isn't an issue maybe a quickclot pack. Remember, a band-aid can't save anyone's life. In order to save someone's life a medkit has to be equipped to handle massive blood-loss; have surgipads at the very least.

Looks like you've got a solid kit going there. Don't ever think you've got it all handled, though. Keep looking for something that works a little better or faster or performs more than one function.

Most of all, practice your med skills and learn as much emergency medicine as you can.

Oh yeah. And add some tampons. Sooner or later you will be a hero.

-'bridge

3. Fenix

Fenix Guest

Thanks, I was definitely looking into some quick-clot, just can't afford any atm. Definitely will add a tourniquet kit.

Edit: also, anyone have any experience with styptic powder for stopping blood loss?

4. It works, but I believe it's usually only used on minor cuts.

A small flashlight is also handy to have for examining wounds and such.

5. SharpsShtr

SharpsShtr Member

6. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Instead of only 1 pair of gloves put in 2 or 3 you may never know whena glove will get cut or break or something

7. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Been there. Have em' when thier needed and you'll be somebody's hero.

SW

8. Fenix

Fenix Guest

I already added in a pair of scissors, also, I'm going to get some things to make an improvised tourniquet today along with a bag. So other than tampons and quick-clot seems good?

9. Yeah, I'd say you'd be fairly well supplied. At the risk of beating a dead horse I'll say that there's always something better, more effective, smaller, faster out there. There's always more to add. Put yourself in an emergency scenario. What would you do if there was: a heart attack, a seizure, a car accident, a broken bone, a gunshot wound, &c ? I mean, you've seen the stuff that's in my bag; I don't for a moment think I'm prepared for everything.

If this is for bug-out, you're probably going to need a wider assortment of meds. Think of every ailment you've had in the last two years. Now imagine having them out in the woods. Suddenly immodium and dayquil become close personal friends. :D

I'd say that emergency/field medicine is the weakest link in most people's survival chain. It usually takes a back seat to cool weapons and food gathering techniques. Not that those aren't important but how cool does someone look when they find him lying next to his $1400 AR, dead from a bad case of diarrhea?

So, keep up the good work. Never be satisfied. The life you save may be mine. :wink:

-'bridge

10. Fenix

Fenix Guest

i said this was my medkit, not my medicine stash :) but i'm lucky, i have a great immune system and the strongest stomach of anyone i've known 8)

Always lookin' for somethin' better, and I'm not too shaby at first aid so i dont think you'd fare too bad :p

11. ex3313

ex3313 Guest

Add an anti diarheaial like Imodium also a couple rolls of Kling gauze make a good pad or can keep a slpint in place.
    As to Tampons keep in mind that they work well in smaller gunshot wounds.I kept a couple in my responder bag on the boat for that reason.

12. I keep two kinds of tampons in mine, the ones with the expanding applicator for the standard purpose (they save room in the kit) and the OB brand ones without applicator for GSWs.

I hear you on the meds. I just keep mine all in one place 'cause it's easier to grab and go. Plus I depend on meds to keep me alive. I envy your cast-iron stomach. :wink: But at least half my meds are for others, hence the Pamprin (I work with 12 women and one other guy). I'd hate to see a good SHTF soldier take a dirt nap 'cause he forgot to pack Midol for his first mate. :D

If you're going to keep a kit in your car (and you should, of course) I'd stash it with a seatbelt cutter and make sure the people who ride with you and work with you know the kit's there. Was able to save a girl's fingertip because I could apply pressure and yell for another employee to get my med kit. They all know where it is.

-'bridge

13. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Edit: Withdrawn.

14. sorry if I missed it, but where are you buying the supplies?

Right now my mini first aid kit is very basic. Tape, gause, alcohol wipes, ammonia, etc.

15. Fenix

Fenix Guest

I got most of the stuff in my kit from just a regular grocery store :wink: but if you search around you can get some good stuff for not very much. and always remember, bullets are cheap, medical bills are expensive 8)

16. billybybose

billybybose Guest

Gotta good kit going dude.I would ck out stoneys med kit thread.Thats one of the kits I'm copying.I'd recomend more of everything.Dont forget go fast pills like caffine or ephedra if its legal there.

17. yeah i'm kinda lacking on first aid stuff.

Actually I have my little personal kit(above) + an okay watertight commercial one in my bob.

I have a place where I have a virtually unlimited supply of 4x4 gause pads(sterile), cotton balls, bandages, and a couple of other things which helps. Its barely a start, but gotta start someplace.

One thing i'm also sorely lacking in(just haven't gotten to it) is learning about different over the counter pain killers and their effects. IE: asprin for blood thinning, waht pains different ones are best for, etc.

18. Fenix

Fenix Guest

OK, I've updated my medkit now and have a pouch for it (yay!). As follows:

Hand Sanatizer- 2oz
    Disposable Gloves - 1 pair (I know, I know I need to buy a couple of pairs when I have the cash :oops: )
    Tweezers - 1
    Scissors - 1
    Bandaids- 40 (1/2 regular + 1/2 waterproof) in a small waterproof container
    Waterproof adhesive tape - 10 yd.
    Rolled gauze - 5 yd.
    Cloth tape - 5 yd.
    Ace Bandage
    3x3 In. Gauze pads - 5
    4x4 Dressing Sponges - 3
    "Elbow" (4"x3") bandages - 5
    Eye Pad- 1
    Reinforced Skin Closures - 12
    Approx. 5' of 1/4" tubing (for use as tourniquet or drainage)
    Extra Strength Excedrin
    Dramamine- small bottle
    A+D Ointment
    Neosporin
    Alcohol Swabs - 10
    Cortisone (roll-on applicator)
    Instant Cold Pack - 1
    Benzoin Tincture Swabs- 2
    Tampons - 3 (can add more if I think they may be needed)

I can handle about anything up to and including stitching and broken bones with this kit (just need something solid for the splint, not too hard to come across wherever one is). I intend to buy some Quik-clot and put it on the outside part of the pouch for quick access with the tampons (The accessibility of the kit is built in the order I would treat the wound: control bleeding, close wounds, sterilize later if still alive :wink: ). Also, I will add a needle and stitching thread when I can acquire some of the professional quality stuff (about a month from now). Pics to come in about an hour when my GF is finished with the camera :) Opinions on the modified kit?

Edit: Ok, photos ready.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I couldn't help myself:

[​IMG]

And also, my gf is now poking fun at me for posting photos of my medkit :x ah well, she'll get distracted soon. :roll:

19. I'd say you're doing very well indeed.

Now that you've got your stuff gathered, concern yourself with keeping it in good condition. There are three things that kill medkits: age, moisture, and battle rattle. Age won't be a factor for a while but keep in mind that it is an issue. Rotate stock on a regular basis. I try to keep moisture at bay by sealing anything in a paper wrapper (bandages, gauze, &c) in zip-lock bags. The zip-lock bags themselves have come in handy on more than one occasion. Battle rattle kills pills the fastest. The constant bouncing around inside pill bottles while you're walking disintegrates them. Stuff cotton in bottles wherever you can until bottles are absolutely silent when you shake them. Cotton can come in handy in emergencies too.

You may want to practice responding to scenarios just to see where you want to place things in your kit. I have a tri-fold kit with very specific packing procedures so that items are always exactly where I want them. If someone's bleeding out you don't want to have to go through the whole dump-the-sack-out-and-rake-through-the-contents routine.

Also, go ahead and de-package items as much as possible while maintaining sterility and integrity. You don't want to be fighting with useless packaging during an emergency either and it takes up space besides. Zip lock baggies to the rescue here too.

When you're comfortable with your material preparedness start looking to your technique. Learn how to do an emergency trache, CPR, what to do during a heart attack, seizure, how to look for shock, concussions, stabilizing broken bones, &c.

A few more things you may want to add: burn cream, safety pins, a small bottle of eye wash, Q-tips, fingernail clippers, and a finger splint (tape & tongue depressor in a pinch).

If you are going to add a needle and thread for emergency sutures (not a bad idea by any means) put a mini-bic lighter in there too for emergency sterilization.

-'bridge

Er... and it appears some toenail clippers may be in order. :D

20. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Dang it there go the toes again Sorry HPFF rule 104.334 you must surgicaly remove all offending digits from all photos :lol: :lol: