Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

My First Hog hunt!!

9K views 74 replies 24 participants last post by  justinwebber 
#1 ·
My friend booked a day trip to an island south of Harrisburg in PA (150 acres) Me and 4 other guys I work with will be heading there on the 14th of March. They have hogs, exotic rams, goats and sheep. Personally, I'm going hog!!

I'm really looking forward to it. No hunting license required, even though I have one, and your choice of weapon. Its a toss up between my 300 AAC and one of my AKs... decisions, decisions...

I know my one friend is bringing his crossbow, that should be interesting. It's guide and then stalk so no blinds etc.

Anyway I'll post pics after the hunt but for now here is the website:

http://www.mohrswidowmaker.com/island.htm

Did I say I was excited? :D

#52 ·
Just a little FYI the female hogs are ok to shoot and eat. The males have to have their balls cut off and kept alive for 30 days or the meet with taste like sh!t. I'm going on my first official hunt today too. I live in Louisiana and my "father in law" is a expert hog hunter, my whole wife's side of the family is super into it.

#53 ·
Just a little FYI the female hogs are ok to shoot and eat. The males have to have their balls cut off and kept alive for 30 days or the meet with taste like sh!t. I'm going on my first official hunt today too. I live in Louisiana and my "father in law" is a expert hog hunter, my whole wife's side of the family is super into it.
A good friend of mine who raises livestock says that the boar hog meat is used for pepperoni... He's pretty sure that meant no castration prior to processing. :cool:

#54 ·
A good friend of mine who raises livestock says that the boar hog meat is used for peckeroni... He's pretty sure that meant no castration prior to processing. :cool:
Your phone did an auto-correct. I fixed it for you:)

#55 ·
A good friend of mine who raises livestock says that the boar hog meat is used for pepperoni... He's pretty sure that meant no castration prior to processing. :cool:
Well with pepperoni there is processing, like said my wife's family is really into just hog hunting. They do guided tours that people pay to go on. That being said maybe the taste of uncastrated boar is something he just personally does not like. I've had it uncastrated and it taste like eating straight salt, it's pretty nasty.

#56 ·
Last time I had uncastrated piggy was back in '74. I was drinking Pabst PBR and didn't notice the taste. Mom complained it was weird.

Maybe it's a cut them off as soon as he dies thing? He was killed with a .22 Magnum. Strung up after we scalded and scraped him.

#57 ·
Our trip was cancelled with last weeks storm here in PA... they sent us make up dates but we haven't picked one yet...

I'll let you all know when we decide on a new date.

#58 ·
That's just great! I was expecting to be invited over for supper. Well I guess I will just settle fir prime rib and a giant baked potato. Get to cooking.

#59 ·
OK, I'll let my wife know tomorrow!! She cooks a tad better than me :p

#66 ·
You can try old man but this muscles ain't what they used to be [emoji6]
I had a guy on one of my crews who said something similar to that, once. Then I threw a claw hammer at him. Then I showed him that you can "shoot" sheetrock screws quite accurately with a keyhole saw.

Don't run, you'll just die tired.....:D

#68 ·

#71 ·
Partially true. Pen a boar for 30 days away from sows and the taint is gone, castrated or not. Bachelor's don't have boar taint unless they have been around sows recently.

Boar taint is not the only worry. Sows will taint also.Taint also has to do with how well you kill them and how you handle the carcass. Don't bleed them well or if you mishandle the meat is the biggest reason for taint. A "bang-flop" kill will always taste better than one that has been wounded and takes a while to die.

I use strike/bay, and catch dogs a lot. One that has been chased for half an hour then killed will taint, boar or sow. I always prefer to bring them home alive and pen them for a month before slaughter. On the other hand, a quick kill on a piggie or sow that has not been stressed doesn't taint.

And while there are no wild or feral barrows, a young male, up to 6 months or so, doesn't taint, unless not killed well.

Taint is caused by hormones that are released when the animals are stressed or breeding. While some people can't smell taint, most can. The meat will either have a manure smell, or a ripe smell, depending on the hormones released. There are two types. FWIW, this applies to all animals, it's just more noticeable in swine.

Reactions: lklawson
#72 ·
I try to de-stress the chickens. Hold them upside down and thump them in the head with a bat. Or just gently lay them on the chopping block. :p

#73 ·
I try to de-stress the chickens. Hold them upside down and thump them in the head with a bat. Or just gently lay them on the chopping block. :p
I put the chickens in killing cones. Slit their throats and they quickly bleed out without flopping around and bruising their meat.

#74 ·
Partially true. Pen a boar for 30 days away from sows and the taint is gone, castrated or not. Bachelor's don't have boar taint unless they have been around sows recently.

Boar taint is not the only worry. Sows will taint also.Taint also has to do with how well you kill them and how you handle the carcass. Don't bleed them well or if you mishandle the meat is the biggest reason for taint. A "bang-flop" kill will always taste better than one that has been wounded and takes a while to die.

I use strike/bay, and catch dogs a lot. One that has been chased for half an hour then killed will taint, boar or sow. I always prefer to bring them home alive and pen them for a month before slaughter. On the other hand, a quick kill on a piggie or sow that has not been stressed doesn't taint.

And while there are no wild or feral barrows, a young male, up to 6 months or so, doesn't taint, unless not killed well.

Taint is caused by hormones that are released when the animals are stressed or breeding. While some people can't smell taint, most can. The meat will either have a manure smell, or a ripe smell, depending on the hormones released. There are two types. FWIW, this applies to all animals, it's just more noticeable in swine.
I really appreciate that explanation, I learned something for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.