Need advice on shooting the c9

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by chris57, Nov 3, 2007.

1. chris57

chris57 Guest

:cry: Just purchased a c9 at a florida gun show, I 'm getting back into shoting after about 7 years away from it and took the 9 out to the range today for the first time,these seem to be a handful,, the recoil is tough out of 200 rounds shting at a comp target (circle) best i could get was 15 rounds on the target with a hi left 9 on my last mag. the weapon seems to shoot low, in the past I could (with a 9mm fn) bunch a 1in to 2in cluster on targets at 15 yards indoors.

I did have a ammo problem with the weapon at first, I used Winchester 9mm white box and it would feed 2-3 rounds then jam a round, the range master suggested try another ammo, I purchase one box of 124gr reloads, Zero was the manfacturer, not one jam in 150 rounds. Any idea's how i could get the weapon shooting where I aim at? Or is it just me and I'm really really rusty?

2. elguapo

elguapo Guest

First off, welcome aboard!
    How many types of ammo did you use? Was the jam happening at the same round in the magazine? Do you have more than one magazine?

3. chris57

chris57 Guest

2 ten round and one 8 round, switching ammo corrected the jam problem, shighting my main concern now seems to shot low and kicks a lot useing 124gr. Thanks for the response

4. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Well-Known Member

5. chris57

chris57 Guest

thanks I'm going to try that, in the am tommarow, thanks for the help

6. Loopster

Loopster Well-Known Member

I had the same initial jamming problem with the WWB FMJ ammo. I changed out the magazine for a broke in one, and I clean and ever so lightly oiled the feed ramp. No problem after that.

7. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

If you use a flat head screw driver you can take the rear sight down. This will raise the front of the weapon as you hold it to shoot. ANd that should correct your low impact.

As for your groupings. Well Go to the store and buy a bunch of rounds and hit the range. :lol:

Good luck and have fun, But bee safe.

Welcome to the house

8. Mumbles

Mumbles Guest

Isn't it rear sight UP to correct for low groups? Or am I just misreading.

9. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

10. rimfirehunter

rimfirehunter Well-Known Member

First off I suggest you try shooting from a bench resting the gun and your hands on a set of bags, 2x4's etc just to get things sighted in. I do this with ALL my handguns before heading over to the pistol range. Most NEW C9's have heavy triggers and it takes a couple hundred rounds before it will smooth up and get a wee bit lighter, and by this time you will be used to the trigger.

One problem new shoots have with heavy triggers is they tend to yank the trigger instead of giving it a smooth, steady pull. The yanking action will almost always cause your shots to hit low. This yanking action is not obivious to the shooter, but an expierenced shooter watching you should be able to detect the trigger yank right away. A former co-worker was having the exact same problem with his C9, all his shots would be all over the lower half of the standard silhouette target. This was AFTER I sighted the pistol in to hit dead on at 15 yards. Once we corrected his trigger yanking problem he actually started to hit COM consistantly with each round.

If the sights are the problem, most C9's do need sight adjustments when NIB, then follow the instructions below. The C9 does have adjustable rear sights, can be adjusted for elevation (up/down) and windage (right/left).

Move rear sight the same direction you want the bullet to move on the target.

Hits are low... Move rear sight UP
    Hits are high... Move rear sight DOWN
    Hits to left... Move rear sight right
    Hit to right... Move rear sight left

Once your C9 gets broken in, 200-500rds, it should have no problems feed Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ's. This is probably the most popular range ammo with C9 owners. Another decent brand is Remington UMC 115gr FMJ and JHP's, both can be purchased at Wal Mart for a little more than the WWB's in boxes of 100rds or 50rds.

Hope this helps.

rimfirehunter

11. neothespian

neothespian Well-Known Member

Also, the biggest key with blowback pistols is having a firm grip and stance. If you "limp wrist" the weapon during firing, this allows your wrist and arm to absorb some of the recoil and doesn't enable the firing block to take the full impact of the round being fired. This enables the slide to cycle fully and load the next round into the chamber.

At least, this is how it was described to me.

It's a different sense than firing a weapon like a rifle and revolver, but once you get a firm grip on it you'll find that this is one of the most accurate pistols for the money!

Welcome to the fold!