Need Coating/Finish advice :SkS

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by esududeny, Nov 20, 2007.

1. esududeny

esududeny Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I just received this sks and was wondering what type of finish I should go for. Is there anything that'll actually stick that can be done at home? I really don't want to send it out, I hate playing the waiting game. Any advice or tips are very welcome. Posting pics as to get a better look at what I'm working with. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. esududeny

3. I like it the way it is personally. It has character. I have one that has its own look and I like it the way it is.

4. .40cal_in_Idaho

.40cal_in_Idaho Well-Known Member

I have to agree with waltham41. I especially like the way the steel looks. I would maybe do refininshing of the stock, though. Shine it up a bit. :D

5. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

You need to leave that battle beauty just as she is. What a good looking SKS.

6. I would leave the stock alone, maybe rub a coat of BLO (boiled linseed oil) into it for protection.

I think it is a nice looking rifle with character.

7. Ari

Ari Guest

There a bunch of folks over at the SKSboards who have (here it comes) Duracoated their SKSs and AKs... Do some searching for Duracoat and you will see some. I have seen some real nice stuff done with it

8. esududeny

thanks for all the replies. I want to leave it as is. If anything, I'll rub a coat of BLO as mentioned by waltham41. I was just worried about the steel rusting. And I thought for a sec about duracoat but it'd take away so much from this thing. You guys are 100% right

9. When it comes to military weapons I am a purist. I like them like they were issued.

Now a Hi Point or a similar weapon with no history behind it, I may change the look of it, like I have my Saiga12.

Of course that is just my personal preference.

I look at it this way, every time someone chops the barrel on a MN, that makes mine worth that much more sometime down the road. :)

10. Ari

Ari Guest

If you are going to go that route make sure BLO is right for that gun before you use it on that stock.

11. Good point, thanks for pointing that out ARI

12. Just put a light coat of oil on the metal and check it from time to time.

I have a SKS that has about 20 - 30% blueing on it I cleaned and oiled it when I bought it and have had it 20 years now. Check it about once a year and add a little oil if the metal seems dry.

I also have 2 1903 Turkish mausers with even less blueing on them and the same goes for them.

Bare metal will not rust if protected properly.