New Guy Intro

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by browwiw, Nov 4, 2007.

1. browwiw

browwiw Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I am the new guy. I found this forum earlier today while researching my own 995 and I liked it so much here I stayed.

I've had my 995 for about 2 months now and have been very pleased. As I'm sure you all know: fun and accurate, cheap to feed, rugged, and affordable. I ordered the ATI stock today and should see it by the middle of the week. I've also got the compensator and two extra magazines coming.

While I've got your attention I might as well ask a couple questions. Is the ATI stock as easy to install as advertised? The manufacturer says it's all drop in and no gunsmithing. From what I've researched, though, I've read a lot about having to snip, clip, and sand. I am incredibly unhandy and this gives me cause to sweat.

Also, has anybody used their 995 to deer hunt? Now, don't worry, I know that a pistol round isn't ideal for deer hunting, but I'm in western Kentucky where brush hunting is the rule. I can't remember the last time I took a deer at a range greater than 70 yards. I'm hoping that proper ammunition selection and the advantage of the longer barrel will make the 995 a decent brush guns. Any opinions? I've always got the Marlin .30-30 or SKS to fall back on if this isn't the case.

2. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

First off, welcome! We're glad to have you here.

Second, yes the ATI is easy to install. There are a few key points where the stocks tolerances are a bit wacky and any snip, cliping or sanding you'll have to do is extremely minimal. So, don't sweat it. If you have any issues, just jump on the forum and we'll give you any assistance you need with pictures so that it'll make your job go more smoothly.

Third, the 995 CAN be used as a deer hunting gun. I would suggest that you use a bullet from GlockMan's sticky post in the Hi-Point Pistols forum as your hunting ammunition/self/home defense ammo. You have to make sure that the bullet has enough penetration to reach the vitals in order to put the deer down with one shot, if you are going to be shooting at such close range as you say. If you are good enough to shoot it in the head with the first shot, you're good to go, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

Other than that, I think you should be fine. Let us know if we can be of any help to you ok?

3. Welcome to the forum.

The 995 can be used in a pinch to hunt deer, but if it were me, out of the two carbines that Hi Point makes, I would use the 4095. Heavier slug, more power. Better chance of a good kill. That is my opinion.

There are many of us that have both carbines, why not join the club? :D

4. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

I agree with Waltham on the 4095 for huntin. I gave it a go in Oregon but had no luck. Deer just didn't get in range. No worries though I'll try again some timme.

good luck, have fun and be safe.

5. GlockMan

GlockMan Well-Known Member

Hunting with a Hi-Point carbine has the same restrictions as hunting with a Bow, Crossbow or a Handgun, the hunter needs good cover and a proper set-up, picks the perfect shot and keeps it close. I have killed Coyote's out too 150yds cleanly with the 995 in Maine and I have no doubt with the proper ammo and a broad side shot deer can be taken cleanly at Archery ranges with either the 995 or 4095.

6. Stryker1

Stryker1 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the hunt...

7. browwiw

Hey, thanks for all the replies.

As for the close ranges of hunting in my area (western Kentucky) are kind of the norm. Between the terrain and the HUGE population density of deer per acre. Seriously, they eat of the trash cans.

This is a bit of a digression, but I often wonder at the guys around here who take Remington 7mm Mags and .375 H&Hs deer hunting. I understand the allure of long range heavy hitters...but its over kill. Taking anything near 150 yards around here is "bragging rights". Bow range is the norm (that's why it practically lasts 6 months...which is also brings up the question why I don't deer hunt).

It's the culture, I guess. I have never used a tree stand or sprayed myself down with doe urine (not that there's anything wrong with that). I just walk around my friend's back 40 for a couple hours and shoot a deer with my 30-30. It's a routine that seems to work.

Where was I going with this? Right. I brush hunt a lot (not to sound passive aggressive).

Also, I'm passing on the 40 cal because I'm waiting for the 45 acp carbine. I love my 1911 and it needs a big brother.

8. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

Perfect shot is the opperative word.

I had plenty of chances to pull the trigger. I did not as the range was farther than 100yrds guestamating.

At that range a follow up shot if needed, (My opinion would be needed)
    would have been very difficult.

As for archery range 100% agree.

I will not lie, I had the urge to just take the shot. Little devil goin to town on my shoulder.

150yrds, Like you said coyote, Not deer.

My ideal shot would have been 70yrds give or take a few. Just never happened . That six sence. Dang deer.

9. 69burbon

69burbon Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

I am sure that the 995 would work for deer from typical archery ranges. The 9mm is a potent cartridge but chances are you would be doing some tracking. Also you should verify if there are magazine restrictions. Some states only allow up to a 5 round capacity for hunting.

I too am waiting for the 4595 to come out (as is nearly everyone). I would have no question about taking down a deer with it.

10. browwiw

Good old Kentucky. Any centerfire cartridge and 10 round magazines are allowed during modern gun season.

11. Loopster

Loopster Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum, and KY is a cool state to hunt in.

12. 69burbon

69burbon Well-Known Member

Here are the rules for us here in Michigan, right off the DNR website.

"Firearm and Bow and Arrow Rules

The rules listed below may not apply to a person having a concealed pistol license or a person specifically exempt by law from a concealed pistol license and who carries their handgun in accordance with their license or exemption.

Shell Capacity for Shotguns and Centerfire Rifles
    It is unlawful to hunt with a semi-automatic shotgun or semi-automatic rifle, other than a .22 caliber rimfire, that can hold more than six shells in the barrel and magazine combined. Fully automatic firearms are illegal. All shotguns used for migratory game birds (including woodcock) must be plugged so the total capacity of the shotgun does not exceed three shells.

Archery Deer Seasons
    During the archery deer seasons, it is illegal to carry afield a pistol, revolver or other firearm while bow hunting for deer, unless the individual is properly licensed to hunt deer with a firearm and is hunting in an area open to firearm deer hunting.
    Exceptions: This prohibition does not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. This does not authorize the individual to use the pistol to take game except as provided by law. During special antlerless firearm deer seasons, a firearm hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow or firearm.

November 10-14
    It is unlawful to carry afield or transport any rifle (including rimfire) or shotgun if you have buckshot, slug, ball loads or cut shells.
    Exception: You may transport a firearm to your deer camp or to a target range during this period if the firearm is properly transported (see Transporting - Carrying Firearms and Bows and Arrows). A resident who holds a fur harvester license may carry a .22 caliber rimfire or smaller firearm while hunting furbearers or checking a trap line during the open season for hunting furbearers or trapping furbearing animals. You also may target shoot on your own property provided there is no attempt to take game.

November 15-30 Firearm Deer Season
    It is illegal for a person taking or attempting to take game to carry or possess afield a centerfire or muzzleloading rifle, a bow and arrow, a centerfire or black powder handgun, or a shotgun with buckshot, slug or ball loads or cut shells, unless you have in your possession a 2007 firearm deer, combination deer or antlerless deer license for the appropriate DMU, with an unused kill tag issued in your name, or a 2007 firearm deer, combination deer or antlerless deer license for the appropriate DMU issued in your name with an unused deer management assistance permit (DMA) kill tag or an unused managed deer hunt permit.

Muzzleloading Deer Seasons
    During the December muzzleloading seasons, muzzleloading deer hunters can carry afield and use only a muzzleloading rifle, a muzzleloading shotgun, or a black power handgun loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Rifle Zone
    In the rifle zone, deer may be taken with handguns, rifles, bows and arrows, shotguns and muzzleloading firearms including black powder handguns. It is legal to hunt deer in the rifle zone with any caliber of firearm except a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire (rifle or handgun). Crossbows are legal to use by a person 12 years of age or older during the Nov. 15-30 firearm deer season.
    Exception: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons above for restrictions during this season.

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Shotgun Zone
    In the shotgun zone, all hunters afield from November 15-30, and all deer hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm restrictions or use a bow and arrow. Crossbows are legal to use by a person 12 years of age or older during the Nov. 15-30 firearm deer season. Legal firearms are as follows:

* A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
    * A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
    * A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

Exception: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons above for restrictions during this season. From Nov. 15-30, .22 caliber or smaller rimfire rifles and handguns may be used to kill raccoon while hunting raccoons with dogs between the hours of 7 p.m. and 6 a.m.

License Requirement - Possession of Firearms and Bows and Arrows
    A person taking or attempting to take game and in possession of a firearm, slingshot or bow and arrow must have the appropriate hunting license with them and must produce the license upon the request of a conservation officer or other law enforcement officer.
    A hunting license is not required when target practicing or sighting-in a firearm at an identifiable, artificially constructed target, and there is no attempt to take game. A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper, hiker or person engaged in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game."

13. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

In most states with capacity restrictions you are aloud to use plugs, to limit the capacity.
    And as far as the 5+1 rule, I guess Kentucky is the only state that I Now know of that allows more.

More is better, But then do you ever need that Many???

I have a hard enough time carrying on deer at a time. lol

14. SamW

SamW Well-Known Member

Md
    Welcome aboard.

15. browwiw

Oh, and just as an example of why I think a 9mm carbine would be appropriate for hunting in my area: yesterday my brother shot a buck with his .300 Win mag...from 10 yards away. Blew it's dang front right leg off.

So, yes...I think that these 147 grain Remington hollow points may do the trick while I'm scouting.

16. HPHooked

HPHooked Well-Known Member

Here in Montana, I asked the state Fish, Wildlife and Parks about mag cap restriction on hunting rifles when I first moved up here. They told that there are no restrictions. If you want to hunt with a 20 round mag in your CETME, you are free to do it. Just follow the state hunting and hunter safety rules. :eek:

How I do love living in Montana. 8)

17. Loopster

Loopster Well-Known Member

18. Ari

Ari Guest

19. warwemust

warwemust Guest

I havent' taken a deer yet with my 995. But I did with a Ruger 9mm carbine years ago @ right around 100yds. So yes u should be able to. I will try as soon as I can.

20. blkhwkfxr

blkhwkfxr Guest

Welcome fellow Kentuckian !!
    From stories told at the hanger, I have heard that the 9mm HP is quite enough for our smaller dear. One guy had said that he triied taking down a medium buck at 50 yds with a high grain 9mm HP. It went down, but only after a 120 yd run. He blamed his poor choice of shot location and was sure it would have been a cleaner kill had he not been impatient.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes =)