Pistol reliabilty

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by SamW, Oct 15, 2007.

1. SamW

SamW Well-Known Member

Md
    Are the HiPoint pistols as realiable as the carbines?

2. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Not until they're broken in. They're great guns, but they aren't "reliable" until you get about 1500 rounds through 'em.

If you are looking for something to keep for protection, I would consider something else. That said, I've got about 2500 rounds through mine, and haven't had a single hickup for about 1500 of those.

It's on my night stand.

3. SamW

SamW Well-Known Member

Md
    That's the information I was looking for. Nothing wrong with a gun that needs broke in and then runs fine. Most do. Sounds like surfaces just need broken in like the carbines.

Thanks

4. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

A lot of folks speed up the process by buffing the feed ramp. Seems to work well for people. I just shot the hell out of mine, and it smoothed up. I never had any major issues, just failure to feed every once in a while... Which to me was way too often to consider it "reliable".

I did have an Aguilla case split in the chamber once too. I had to drive it out with a cleaning rod. I blamed that on the ammo, because I've since had two other people say they've had that problem with Aguilla ammo.

I also found that Wolf ammo did not cycle well with mine. Some folks on here love it though, and haven't had problems.

5. neothespian

neothespian Well-Known Member

Actually I've found mine VERY reliable with only 100 rounds, a feed ramp polishing, and a double check to see if the magazine feed tabs are proper in allignment. I've only had two failure to feeds since then and I've put about 1000 rounds past that barrel and one was due to my attempt to shoot off-hand and the other was due to a brand new aftermarket magazine that needed tweaking.

Other than that, I have trusted it with my life and it has proven itself in the worst time ever. Comming from a former cab driver, that is an endorsement!

6. SamW

SamW Well-Known Member

Md
    Thanks guys. I'll keep that is mind about the Aguilla. I've been shooting nothing but the 100 rd boxes of Winchester. The 9mm is broke in good. No problems for q long time. The 40 S&W only has 150 rds thru it. I get a fail to feed once in a while. Maybe the feed ramp polishing is in order.

7. JasonJ

JasonJ Well-Known Member

100 rounds is hardly enough to clasify any firearm as reliable..

reliable would be 1000+ rounds.

8. neothespian

neothespian Well-Known Member

The post said after 100 rounds I was comfortable with the pistol.

Reliable is when it performs it's action every time you pull the trigger consistently.

It has PROVEN reliable. I don't adhere to formulas. If the gun works well, and I am comfortable with it, then it falls into the reliable category. Then again, there was alot of application of advice from more experienced shooters on this forum that allowed me to iron out the bugs right out of the box.

Regardless of what one person's definition is in comparison to the other: The gun saved my life and I call that reliable regardless of how many rounds are i;]100 rounds is hardly enough to clasify any firearm as reliable..

reliable would be 1000+ rounds.[/quote]

The post said after 100 rounds I was comfortable with the pistol.

Reliable is when it performs it's action every time you pull the trigger consistently.

It has PROVEN reliable. I don't adhere to formulas. If the gun works well, and I am comfortable with it, then it falls into the reliable category. Then again, there was alot of application of advice from more experienced shooters on this forum that allowed me to iron out the bugs right out of the box.

Regardless of what one person's definition is in comparison to the other: The gun saved my life and I call that reliable regardless of how many rounds are in it's resume

9. Im a private security guard and I carry a c9 and my wife carrys a cf380 and we have not had any problems with them.

10. Stryker1

Stryker1 Well-Known Member

for me no... Sorry to say it but I wouldnt trust this pistol in my hands!!!!

My C9 has performed without flaw. The issue I do have sometimes with it is when I fire it I hit the mag release and causes a FTF...

I have seen some C9 shooters that have nothing but problems with the pistol that I would have to say is user problems as well.

So do to no fault of the pistol I say no because I cant get my sausages out of the way lol...

11. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

The standard for the C9 and for all Hi-Points for break in is 500 rounds. It also all depends on your particular weapon. Let us know if you have any problems and we'll help you address each issue individually.

12. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

My C-9 Is a jam-o-matic. OK Was. Although it only has 150rds threw it. However this to me is Extremely unreliale. I do not trust MY I repeat MY C-9 to do anything but jam. However My buddies C-9 is the toughest most reliable go bang bang I have seen.

My first C-9 was also a trusty boomer.

Just so happens that the one I have now lost all my faith. AND I am WAY, way to stubborn to send it in. I will give it the other WWB before I use it a s a target. LOL.

Any way Trust is earned.

10 rounds or 100rds.

MY night stand thump in the night at the moment is the 4095. I no but it's the smallest I own at present that I trust my family's lives with. It's like MIKEY! It likes everything!

13. rimfirehunter

rimfirehunter Well-Known Member

I had a few issues within the first 100rds, bad mag for one and the gun just needed to settle in. After the 200rd mark my C9 was a flawless shooter, but around 1200rds I replaced the striker spring due to a couple light strikes. Currently I have over 1500+ rnds thru it without any more issues.

Had more problems with my rimfire rifles and pistols than I have had with my C9 and some of them cost several times more than what I have invested in the C9.

rimfirehunter

14. Marksman1

Marksman1 Guest

I have no quams my C9's reliability. Release safety, aim, pull trigger, bang...next round is chambered. That's how it's suppose to work, right? Actually, I like my C9 better than my CCW piece (a SKYY CPX-1, 9mm), but it's just too heavy, big, and bulky that I don't want to carry it around (heck, my CCW is too big for me and it's a little more than half it's size). Anyway, I trust it with my life. 8)

15. I own alot of nice hand guns and I just like my c9 an the best part about it is if it does jam its so heavy i could beat them with it. the thing is like a brick with a handle

16. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I too am a private security guard and I use my C9 for work. Also it's big enough just about everyone thinks it's a bigger caliber and will play nice around me :evil: :lol:

17. I have around 300 rds through my jhp, and i consider it reliable. ! ftf the whole time. I think that was due to limp wristing. I went ahead and polished the fed ramp. i need tpo try it out now.

18. invictus82

invictus82 Guest

The jury is still out for me on this one. I LOVE the accuracy, look and feel of my c9. I had a lot of jamming issues and ftf's during the first couple hundred rounds or so. Then, after a little research of my own, adjusted and polished the mag feed lips, polished the feed ramp, and put a couple hundred more rounds through it. I consider it relatively broken in now, and don't have many issues with it, aside from a magazine releasing problem (which may be due to human error, but could also be a release-spring defect).

Would I trust my life to it? I suppose the answer is "if I had to." I don't carry a gun with me most of the time, and when I do it is usually my smith and wesson sw9ve. As far as bump-in-the-night response, I have my Benelli 12ga close to hand, and the afore mentioned Smith. The hi point sits in with the 'fun to shoot and always going to the range with me, but kept locked up and unloaded at all times otherwise' club.

Do I reccommend them? YES! I have seen and shot several (aside from my own) that perform flawlessly when fed absolutely anything. If there is a problem, Hi Point and great forums like this one are always ready to help. It is definitely the best value pistol out there, and certainly better than nothing.

The carbines I cannot speak to as I have never owned/shot one, but most people seem to like them.

19. david_aaron236

david_aaron236 Active Member

My C9 has been flawless since the day it left the box. Nothing has needed tweaking, not even the infamous mag feed lips. So far it has around 300 rounds through it, and the only real "issue" is when i have a full clip, sometimes i have to give the slide a little nudge to feed the first round, but other than that she shoots fine all the time! :D

-Dave

20. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Yes the Hi Point Tap! Still have to with mine sometimes.