Pistols: stupidest tech tip ever

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Oct - 2009)' started by farmkid, Oct 25, 2007.

1. I only post this because, had I known this earlier, it would have saved me a lot of trouble.

Scenario: you're disassembling your HP pistol, and you've done all the prereq's: the mag is removed, the chamber is empty, the slide is locked back, and you've driven out the pin that holds the slide retainer. Before you lift the slide and take it apart:

[​IMG]

... point it down into an empty box. You'll be able to find the flying parts much more easily* this way.

* where "much more easily" means "find them, period"

2. I wish i would have thought of that. Would have saved me alot of time on my hands and knees.

3. JasonJ

JasonJ Well-Known Member

thats not stupid.. thats BRILLIANT!

4. Ridge

Ridge Well-Known Member

Very nice. Paper or plastic bags work, too :)

5. This is a great tip!

6. SAMPO

SAMPO Well-Known Member

My wife was in the other room when all of a sudden a spring went flying past her face and :shock:...

7. Bushman98

Bushman98 Well-Known Member

Pillow cases work too.

8. Newskate9

Newskate9 Well-Known Member

great suggestion.......... I'm not man enough to try taking mine apart yet. I think I'll wait till it jams............ 1850 and counting.

9. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Well-Known Member

I was taking an SKS apart. did not think to hold the rear housing and it came flying off and hit me in the gut harder that I would have though possible. It knocked the wind out of me and really startled me.

10. Ari

Ari Guest

Try that when taking the barrel out of the CZ52 LOL

11. w_houle

w_houle Active Member

"Scenario: you're disassembling your HP pistol, and you've done all the prereq's: the mag is removed, the chamber is empty, the slide is locked back, and you've driven out the pin that holds the slide retainer. Before you lift the slide and take it apart: "
    OK, try this after you drive the pin out and before you lift the slide off;
    Place a wooden dowel rod down the barrel until it hits the slide so you can pull the trigger and the firing pin has something to hit, with the spring tension off of the firing pinthere shouldn't be any parts flying anywhere.

12. One time I was cleaning my ruger pistol, and was putting the guide rod and spring back on, Put it on there, and as I was setting in in place, my finger slipped. Shot off and hit my square in the nuts. OH MY that hurt.

13. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop Guest

Assembly/Disassembly Box
    This is a little item that you may find useful. It is an assembly/disassembly box. It is one of those things that you need once in a while. Sometimes when you are working on something, a small part or a spring will pop out and go flying across your shop, into the deepest darkest corner it can find. This little box is designed to prevent that from happening, by containing those super sonic parts.

[​IMG]

As you can see, it is just a box with a few holes cut in it and a light so you can see what you are working on.

You need some sort of window; Plexiglas or real glass will do. I used glass because that is what I had available.

[​IMG]

You need to cut a hole in the top of the box to put your window in. I simply cut the hole smaller then my glass and lay the glass on top.

[​IMG]

You also need two holes for your arms to enter the box. Start out by cutting small holes and work up until they fit your arms. Don’t assume you have arms like Popeye; you want them to fit snugly so the parts can’t get out. I put some masking tape around mine to keep the cardboard from cutting into my arms.

[​IMG]

A look at the interior shows that all of the seams and cracks have been sealed with masking tape. The flying parts just love a place to hide and if they can’t go across the room, they will hide in the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The light is just an inexpensive florescent light that fits the box. I attached mine with some sheet metal screws.

[​IMG]

That’s about it, just a little project that can save you a lot of frustration.

14. Fenix

Fenix Guest

15. those are great ideas, esp if you have taken your HP apart and had to search for those super sonic springs. My 12 yr is great at finding them.

16. Whoa! That's seriously cheap and interesting! For time/aggravation/parts savings, this has a GREAT payback potential.

17. adam

adam Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna tear mine down, they dont recommend it some I"m not gonna do it unless I have too.

18. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

that box is awesome!!! we've all had to chase parts down....

19. GrumpyDad

GrumpyDad Guest

I tear mine down first thing and give it a goooood cleaning every time I get a new or even a used one. I personally think it is a good habit to get in to. This will let you know for a fact that it is clean and has adequate oil where it is needed. It also gives you a chance to inspect each and every part yourself instead of relying on someone elses word. If nothing else it will give you peace of mind knowing your firearm is in good working order. P.S. That box is a really great idea.