Possible canted sight on my Mosin

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by eqfan592, Oct 26, 2007.

1. eqfan592

eqfan592 Well-Known Member

I haven't had a chance to take my new Mosin out to the range yet sadly, but I did notice something the other day while I was checking it out that I somehow missed before. The front sight seems to be canted. Is there any way a gunsmith can fix this? And if so, how much would that run me? Or is this something I can adjust the rear sight for to compensate?

2. rimfirehunter

rimfirehunter Well-Known Member

I would take it to the range first and see how it shoots. Start off at 25 yards and move back from there. If the sight is canted and out of adjustment you will know right away, then you can locate a smith to see if it can be corrected or not.

One of my muzzleloaders has a front sight that is slightly canted to the right. I was gonna replace it right after I bought the barrel (used barrel) but decided to shoot it first. After shooting I discovered that it was hitting dead on so I left it as is.

For price, not sure what the going rate is in your area. I do know that a local smith will charge me about $50 to cut down a barrel, recrown and reinstall the front sight. Just to drill and tap a screw hole and install a ramp sight he charges $35 plus the cost of the sight if he orders it.

rimfirehunter

3. eqfan592

eqfan592 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips, it's appreciated :)