Featured Project of the week. 12ga slam fire.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Ben Cannon, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Ben Cannon

Ben Cannon Member

Seems just about everyone has built one of these so figured I would too.
    While somewhat limited, it's still a viable weapon especially as an emergency back up. Several can be built disassembled and stored sealed in large pvc pipe and buried. You just never know!

This one is roughed out, still need to fab the firing pin and buy the proper hardware to finish it out.
    Has currently a 24" barrel. Wanted a bit closer pattern than the usual 18". Had a bunch ofleft over AR stuff to use on the build. It's quite comfortable to hold/aim/fire.

Thinking cut shells of low recoil ammo will work in it.

Attached Files:

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

ND
    I made one out of black pipe and used a bolt that fit into the back. Then had the firing pin cut down from the bolt epoxy and welds held it in place used 00 buck on it several times no issues. Then my kid cut it up as he needed the pipe for some reason

WECSOG likes this.

3. Ben Cannon

Ben Cannon Member

Awwwww!

Well finished the build. Have to get some ammo to give it a test. Once the firing pin is adjusted all the threads save for the stock will be JB welded. The stock will be hand tightened so it's removable.
    Added a thumb screw safety. Dropped the right hand grip as it easier to hold with out it.

Attached Files:

WECSOG and SavageGuy like this.
  4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Supporting Member

That's sweet! What's your cost so far? I want to make one now.....

5. Ben Cannon

Ben Cannon Member

With out going for the receipts $25+. The AR bits were left overs. If you can scrounge good used pipes then won't cost much. Big trick is finding pipes that fit together with little work. If you have a caliper measure them. A few thousands makes it nearly impossible unless you have a lathe or a bunch of determiation. Other wise it's a pretty quick build.
    Also use only low recoil ammo. There are many different loads including buckshot.

I really like the thing. Not real heavy, and breaks down to a fairly small package. Also they can be shot from either end of the barrel. In a jam just flip the barrel around reload and fire with the spent still in the other end of the barrel. It becomes part of the load.

6. moona11

ND
    Costs are little to nothing if you have the pipe and ends . I threaded some and had small pieces for handles and stock. I doubled the chamber walls and first 16 inches just in case. It was a beast. I have 6 or 7 pretty cut sets for a SHTF guns. Just never finished them.

7. WECSOG

WECSOG Well-Known Member

I love these kind of simple builds. I built a slam fire .357 Mag carbine using a barrel I got for $27 from Numrich, back when they still had them. Used a bolt as the breech, faced it in my mini lathe leaving a nub for a firing pin.

8. Ben Cannon

Ben Cannon Member

I will build a 9mm next using an AR 16" barrel chambered in 9. Not cheap at 60 bucks, but have so much 9mm on hand. Wanted to build the 12ga first.

My firing pin is a impact socket that is a light hammer fit to the receiver. It has a faced bolt that fits it (5/8 head) leveled with the sockets face which is bolted in the socket. The bolt was center drilled and tapped for an 8 32 stainless screw shaped to a firing pin that will be locked when adjusted. The socket sits squarely in the end of the reducer with the bolts nut going into the stocks tube. Load is transfered thru the socket thru the reducers end to the stock tube to my poor old shoulder.

Got the 12 ga blued, doesn't look too bad. After its test fired and finalized will strip and blue the stocks tube. Need to find a shell carrier for the stock for some extra rounds.

Don't know when will test as we are in hurricane prep for Irma.

Attached Files:

moona11 and WECSOG like this.
  9. Ben Cannon

Ben Cannon Member

Got a few rounds thru the gun today. Picked up some 2 3/4 target loads. Emptied one shell of the shot and fired it to check the firing pin. Fired just fine but was a bit deep so adusted for a shallower strike. Then started with the live rounds.

The thing is a real blast! It is a bit of a beast. I love it. Fired it for several rounds from the hip just to be sure. Gotta hold it tight, has a pretty good recoil. Next fired it from the shoulder. Shoots exactly where you point it. Takes a bit of shooting to become familiar with where to aim it.

Watched some vids in repurposing these target loads to home defense rounds by melting the shot down into round balls. Think I will buy some molds and give it a try. Cheap thrills!

WECSOG and moona11 like this.
  10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Use them for practice then reload with 00 buck... or save the target shot in a baggie and sell it to a trap shooter that reloads. 25 pound bag of shot goes for $40+

11. moona11

ND
    You could make your own booby traps but that's for another forum

12. Ben Cannon

Ben Cannon Member

MaryB

Problem with 3/4" pipe barrels is it ruins the shell when fired as the diameter is slightly larger than 12ga.
    So no reloading. At 6 bucks per box it's cheap shooting. Am thinking that the 1 1/8 #8 shot load will probably make or come very close to making a .690 12ga round ball. Molds are in the 25 buck range.
    The .690 fits in the sabbot perfectly. Have also seen some pretty good prices on 00buck. Reclaimed lead is fairly reasonable also, just have to be careful what one buys. Not really wanting to become a reloader as I can't afford the equipment. Just a repurposer.
    The gun is just a fun shooter and trying different rounds, especially ones you make is part of it.
    I have seen some pretty bizarre stuff shot from these guns including a live 20ga shell shot from a 12ga shell(crazy!) And a rebar grappling hook! Won't be going that route, but experimentation is fun.

moona 11

Not really a prepper, but living in a hurricane zone makes one very prepared in all respects.
    Self defense is a major consideration in the aftermath. That was kinda the idea behind this gun. Figured it could stand more than some of my other guns, and still function. We live on a salt marsh and the tidal surge can bring out some undesirable critters too. That's the excuse I gave my dearest anyway. Really I just wanted to build one.

adam01364, undeRGRound and WECSOG like this.
  13. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Lee sells a buckshot mold, car wheel weights would make some pretty decent ones.

I wasn't saying reuse the hulls, I was saying save the 8 shot for someone who reloads, sell it to them. Use scrap lead to make your own buckshot. Trap shooters go through a BUNCH of #8

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

15. Ben Cannon

Ben Cannon Member

Thanks yall!

MaryB
    Understand about the reloading. Am trying to use what's there. Using the #8 from the shells remolded into round balls turns the same 6 buck box of rounds into fairly potent ammo.
    Bought today a 5lb bag of 00 buck shot and a .690 ball mold. Hope to easily turn the cheap target rounds into something more fun to shoot. Also will get a roll crimper and I should be set. Am trying to stay with low recoil ammo with loads in the 1-1 1/8 oz range in consideration of the guns construction. Though I have seen more powerful loads used in this type gun, it's not for me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  16. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

You can skip roll crimping and use a shot card and hot glue to hold it on top of the load.

17. Ben Cannon

Ben Cannon Member

I had seen that done and was probably going that way when I found this.
    Details in the reloading sub forum.

Attached Files:

WECSOG likes this.
  18. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Wonder how the wood will stand up to the friction...

19. moona11

ND
    If you read his post you would know

20. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

The wood roll crimper is just a picture... I did see a regular roll crimper on Cast Boolits last night though.... and I rarely wade into the reloading sub forum here... Cast Boolits has a lot more info...