Reloading

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by jamephipp, Oct 16, 2007.

1. jamephipp

jamephipp Guest

We're without the reloading info we had on the last board. ARI was very helpful last go around with info as to where to buy equipment, and supplies.

2. Ari

Ari Guest

3. mjd932

mjd932 Active Member

I just purchased the Anniversary kit from Midway a couple weeks ago. Haven't gotten to use it yet but it ;]Here you go. this will get you started cheap

http://www.sec77.com/reload.html
    [​IMG][/quote]

I just purchased the Anniversary kit from Midway a couple weeks ago. Haven't gotten to use it yet but it looks sturdy.

4. jamephipp

jamephipp Guest

:D I too have purchased the same kit back in Sept and have loaded about 900 rounds of 45 ACP and am waiting on my 9MM mak carbon dies to come in the mail. I 'll tell ya from my point of view it's a cake walk to reload just alot of fun. Have to pay attention and not let anything or anyone distract you or well it could be explosive. lol.

MOST OF ALL DON"T SMOKE it will be hazzardous to your health lol

5. jason865

jason865 Guest

I have a question about the Lee Kits. Will the starter kit pictured, or the anniversary kit have everything I need to do rilfe rounds? I am mainly wanting to reload .223 so I can actually afford to take the ar out more, but have read that some of the kits require extra parts in order to reload rifle ammo.

6. Loopster

Loopster Well-Known Member

Just curious. About how much $ is pcitured there?

7. jason865

jason865 Guest

$80 to $90 depending on where you find it. They can be had a bit cheaper if you can catch one on a really good sale, ;]Just curious. About how much $ is pcitured there?[/quote]$80 to $90 depending on where you find it. They can be had a bit cheaper if you can catch one on a really good sale, but not much.

8. mjd932

mjd932 Active Member

That starter kit pictured is the anniversary kit: one and the same. It has everything you need except for the dies. I got a Lee deluxe carbide die set which was ~$25 but a Lee Pacesetter die set will work as well for ~$20.
    Other than that, you just need brass, bullets, powder, and primers.
    Other useful items are:
    -.223 Case Length gage (in order to use the case trimmer included in the kit) ~$3
    -Calipers
    -Bullet puller (in case you screw up)

Hop;]I have a question about the Lee Kits. Will the starter kit pictured, or the anniversary kit have everything I need to do rilfe rounds? I am mainly wanting to reload .223 so I can actually afford to take the ar out more, but have read that some of the kits require extra parts in order to reload rifle ammo.[/quote]

That starter kit pictured is the anniversary kit: one and the same. It has everything you need except for the dies. I got a Lee deluxe carbide die set which was ~$25 but a Lee Pacesetter die set will work as well for ~$20.
    Other than that, you just need brass, bullets, powder, and primers.
    Other useful items are:
    -.223 Case Length gage (in order to use the case trimmer included in the kit) ~$3
    -Calipers
    -Bullet puller (in case you screw up)

Hope this helps.

9. mjd932

mjd932 Active Member

I got mine on sale from Midway for $75 and it included Lee's Modern Rel;]
    $80 to $90 depending on where you find it. They can be had a bit cheaper if you can catch one on a really good sale, but not much.[/quote]

I got mine on sale from Midway for $75 and it include;]Just curious. About how much $ is pcitured there?[/quote]$80 to $90 depending on where you find it. They can be had a bit cheaper if you can catch one on a really good sale, but not much.[/quote]

$80 to $90 depending on where you find it. They can be had a bit cheaper if you can catch one on a really good sale, but not much.[/quote]

I got mine on sal;]Just curious. About how much $ is pcitured there?[/quote]$80 to $90 depending on where you find it. They can be had a bit cheaper if you can catch one on a really good sale, but not much.[/quote]

I got mine on sale from Midway for $75 and it include;]Just curious. About how much $ is pcitured there?[/quote]$80 to $90 depending on where you find it. They can be had a bit cheaper if you can catch one on a really good sale, but not much.[/quote]

I got mine on sale from Midway for $75 and it include;]Just curious. About how much $ is pcitured there?[/quote]$80 to $90 depending on where you find it. They can be had a bit cheaper if you can catch one on a really good sale, but not much.;]Just curious. About how much $ is pcitured there?[/quote]$80 to $90 depending on where you find it. They can be had a bit cheaper if you can catch one on a really good sale, but not much.[/quote]

I got mine on sal;]Just curious. About how much $ is pcitured there?[/quote]$80 to $90 depending on where you find it. They can be had a bit cheaper if you can catch one on a really good sale, but not much.[/quote]

I got mine on sale from Midway for $75 and it include;]Just curious. About how much $ is pcitured there?[/quote]$80 to $90 depending on where you find it. They can be had a bit cheaper if you can catch one on a really good sale, but not much.;]Just curious. About how much $ is pcitured there?[/quote]$80 to $90 depending on where you find it. They can be had a bit cheaper if you can catch one on a really good sale, but not much.[/quote]

I got mine on sale from Midway for $75 and it included Lee's Modern Reloading Vol 2.

10. jamephipp

jamephipp Guest

Cost

I bought the kit from Cabelas for 69 and purchased the lee reloading manual for an additional 14.00. Then I needed a Carbon die set which was 21.95 for 45 ACP. They also have rifle dies available and the lee anniversary kit will do most everything out there just need the dies. Then of course you'll have the cost of powder , primers, brass, and bullets.

11. jamephipp

jamephipp Guest

I'm using once fired brass it's consideribly cheaper than new unprimed.

12. jason865

jason865 Guest

Thanks for the info, I will most likely be picking one up soon then. I have been stock piling .223 brass, so at least that will be one cost out of the way.

Where do you get your once fired brass? I see people selling it online all the time, but I dont trust the quality. It is kind of like buying a car that was "owned by a little old lady who only drove it on Sunday" or a gun that was "only fired once" when the freaking thing has a ten round mag. :lol:

13. jamephipp

jamephipp Guest

once fired brass

I've seen it on Cabelas, and there are a couple action sites I've dealt with the one Gentleman ARI had a good link on the last forum you might send him a private message and he could possibly send you the link if he still has it. I lost the link when we changed forums :cry:

14. Loopster

Loopster Well-Known Member

That's not bad. My dad was a reloader. He had a tone of reloading equipment. even cast his own bullets (this was back in the early 70's). If I could get that kit, he could teach me how to use it, and I could probably load the 9x18 MAK cheaper than I could buy it...yes? no?

15. jamephipp

jamephipp Guest

Casting Bullets

:shock: I'm not too sure about the bullet part of it but the reloading is costly up front a little but after you figure everything I'm seeing a 40 to 80% cost reduction (depending on caliber ) compared to buying ammo outright. Plus you know what's in every load because you loaded it yourself.

16. jamephipp

jamephipp Guest

Cost

I can get one of those special 100 round packs of 45 acp at walmart for 29.00 and that's roughly .29 cents a round just including the powder, primers, rounds, and brass my cost for my first 1000 rounds broke down to 12.8 cents a round. Now that involved alot of looking for brass though I kept the cost down by buying the powder and primers local, and buying once fired brass on an auction site. The old timers who've reloaded much much longer than I would be a better source of information though.

17. Ari

Ari Guest

Click the link! I put everything in the link :D

18. Ari

Ari Guest

It will reload rifle rounds no problem. You will need to get die set for you round you want to reload. With rifle a set of calipers (like the one l listed in the link is a must) You will want the Lee Deluxe rifle die set and a factory crimp die...

Lee Deluxe rifle die set
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=776391&t=11082005

Lee factory crimp die
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=4560506&t=11082005

Then sooner or later you will want a case trimmer. L.E. Wilson makes the best one of those. Midway did not have them listed. I got mine local as Wilson's factory is in my area. But that is about $35

Other then supplies you are set....

I can give some ideas how the Lee Deluxe rifle die set can save you some money when you get ready to start...

19. If you are serious, think Dillon.

NOT cheap though.