reminder about emergency radios with "TV" band

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by Roknrandy, Oct 22, 2007.

1. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Yup our tax dollars at work...... Thanks to the TV industry.

2. Newskate9

Newskate9 Well-Known Member

I don't have an emergency radio........ hmmmmmm. That's an outage!

Any reco's someone might offer?

3. SHOOTER Z

One good thing the AM band was set up years ago with the idea of an atomic war and EMP a lot of AM stations that are on all night are set up so they have megawatts to transmit and are designated as Emergency Broadcast Stations to pass out critical info in disasters. It was part of their clear channel program they had set up then NOT to be confused with the Clear Channel comglomerate. A good one I still listen to at times is WBZ 1030 AM in Boston I listened to it for years working in Me. and still do at times here in SC.
    When I was a kid I used an old portable radio and would listen to faint AM stations at night or early in the morning and listen to the news from different regions of the country a few mornings I would listen to school closings in areas as W Virginia and other places I was able to pick up a station in California once after the 89 earthquake

4. Z28Driver

Z28Driver Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right. I am getting ready to purchase a good survival radio and have been looking at a couple of different models. A budy of mine who is an electronics buff told me some time ago about the analog transmissions being eliminated, but I forgot all about that until your post. Thanks for the reminder!

5. SHOOTER Z

My.2 cents get something inAM/FM/ AND the best SW you can I got one a few years ago made by Grundig it's very small runs on 2 AA batteries and fits in my shirt pocket Radio Shack did sell them for around $30 but I don't know if they still do. Also CCrane sell one that is all that and is windup as well I also bought a Free gen radio back in 2000 the first generation model I got it at Big Lots for $30 they only had 2 left and I got one for me and one for my sister who at the time lived in Florida The latest generations have a light with them and can be cranked run on batteries or solar powered

6. I got an old Baygen crank / solar power radio also, it only has AM/FM .
    Spot

7. SHOOTER Z

here's a link to a dealer http://www.ccrane.com/radios/wind-up-emergency-radios/freeplay-plus-radio.aspx

Is Yours a big black radio or a smaller portable type? I got the first generation wind up one big heay black radio and it has SW some of their newer models only have AM/FM

I also have a Radio Shack DX-392 AM/FM/SW/ LW Radio that runs on batteries really great for a lot of SW listening