SKS or 995

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by rdhood, Oct 29, 2007.

1. rdhood

rdhood Member

I am going to an Appleseed event this weekend :

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

My son is using my 22. All I have left are the SKS and a 995. Should I go SKS or 995?

2. HPHooked

HPHooked Well-Known Member

If they are going to be shooting at the full 500 yards, I'd go with the SKS. The 995 just does not have the punch to reach that range effectively on a consistent and accurate basis. :wink:

3. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

SKS all the way buddy.

4. JasonJ

JasonJ Well-Known Member

for 500yds, the 995 wont go that far.. SKS..

better yet, go blow $100 on a good MN and some milsurp ammo. show them how you can hit stuff out to 2000yds.

5. bamaboy06

bamaboy06 Well-Known Member

If you are going to be shooting at something past 150yds, then you will definitely want to take your SKS.What kind of SKS do you have?

6. rdhood

rdhood Member

I have a norinco SKS in a sporter stock.

I have also been thinking about picking up a walmart Ruger 10/22 just for the occasion.

7. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

My Walmart quit selling guns alltogether... Sad really.

8. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

At 500yrds with an sks you'd better be one hell of a shot.

SKS point target range is 400-500m Any simple math.

Jasonj said it best with the 100$ MN.

The sks will do much better than a 995 ever could dream.

From what I gathered you are basicaly qualifying military style trying to be a rifleman.

Well 600m is dificult enough with an M16.

I would consider a firearm desighned to shoot up to 600 yards.

Many surplus rifles do this and can run less than a 100$

hey. good luck bro.

9. I would go with the MN also. 500 yds is stretching it a bit for a SKS in my opinion

10. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    SKS, I would say you can reach out and do the work you need to with it. It would be beter with a MN or something but i woul dsay if its a decent size target at 500 yrds you will be fine.

11. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S.

Not all together, they just scaled back the number of stores that sell guns. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12316692/

12. rdhood

rdhood Member

I've decided to take them both/all. They strongly suggest that you have a spare around in case of a rifle malfunction.

A lot of the Appleseed events only go to 25 meters. I think that the Toccoa event is on a very long range, so they might go to 200-300 meters. Definitely NOT 500m!.

I might just have to make this decision the morning I get there and see the facility. If we are really shooting 100m or less, I am going to start with the HP.

13. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

If you are going to be shooting at a shorter range, I think if you did well with the Hi-Point it would make alot of the gun snobs bite their tongues the next time they want to say something bad about HP.

14. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    for sure if its short distance I would use the HP, I would use the SKS if its really long range stuff.

15. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

16. Sakdog

Sakdog Member

I dont want to jack the thread... (on the topic of Walmart and Guns)But a buddy of mine went to Juneau Alaska, He reported to me that in AK they sell EVIL HANDGUNS AT WALMART!.. Seriously I was looking for an XD9 he said they cost $380 at the Wal-Mart... It brought a tear to my eye and made me want to move to AK.

17. eqfan592

eqfan592 Well-Known Member

You know, it sure would be nice if Wal-Mart would post what stores DO sitll sell firearms. None of the ones in my area appeart too, and as far as I can tell none of the ones in SE Wisconsin do anymore. Maybe further up north where hunting is a bigger thing.