THANKSGIVING SAFETY

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Spot, Nov 22, 2007.

  1. THANKSGIVING SAFETY


    Keep your family and overnight guests safe with a working smoke detector on every level of the house, in every bedroom, and in the halls adjacent to the bedrooms.

    Overnight guests should be instructed on the fire escape plan and designated meeting place for your home.

    Have a fire extinguisher available not more than 10 feet from the stove, on the exit side of the room. Know how to use it.

    Keep the kitchen off-limits to young children and adults that are not helping with food preparations to lessen the possibility of kitchen mishaps.

    When cooking, do not wear clothing with loose sleeves or dangling jewelry. The clothing can catch on fire and the jewelry can catch on pot handles, causing spills and burns.

    Never leave cooking unattended. If you must leave the kitchen while cooking, turn off the stove or have someone else watch what is being cooked.

    Candles should never be left burning when you are away from home. Candles should be located where children will not be tempted to play with them, and where guests will not accidentally brush against them. The candle holder should be completely noncombustible and difficult to knock over.

    If smoking is allowed inside, provide guests with large, deep ashtrays and check them frequently. After guests leave, check inside and under upholstery and in trash cans for cigarette butts that may be smoldering.

    Public Safety Business Center, Fort Bragg