Threading the barrel

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by ekim, Jan 10, 2017.

1. ekim

ekim Member

Will Hi Point thread the barrel ? If not will that void the life time warranty if you have iit threaded?

2. backbencher

backbencher Supporting Member

You have my attention. In the same boat w/ a 4595. Don't care about the warranty, but I need a can on this thing.

3. We all need info about threading the barrels on a HP, because there's a bill being talked right now in the House on the "Hearing Protection Act" that will affect all of us.

If it passes and it does look favorable, can you imagine the run it'll bring on suppressors.

We need to know if it'll affect the warranty and HP putting longer threaded barrels on pistols we'll be sending back to install that accommodates the suppressors.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. ekim

ekim Member

I'm not going for a suppressor, probably a conical flash hider, just for the look. Then slide the front sight back to the fore end.

If the Hearing Protection act passes then I might go for the can!

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

No. Take it to a gunsmith.

Nobody's been down that road. Call them and ask or take your chances.

6. B_Cassidy

B_Cassidy Well-Known Member

MOM posted a question on Facebook a while back asking if anyone had suppressed a Hi-Point. I can only imagine they'd be fine with a threaded barrel.

7. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

Hell, the tech would probably be intrigued by the prospect

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

They cover EVERYTHING Else, except 995 "ProMag Abuse" ;)
    They would have to see compelling evidence that it was buggering up the blowback action before they would deem it a deal breaker, IMO. I'd "take my chances" and be a test case. But they would know in an instant once you sent back in a carbine with a threaded barrel :rofl: ;)

9. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

My 995TS, 4095 and 4595 are all threaded and suppressed. I did that almost as soon as I got them. I just picked up a Hi Point .45 pistol last weekend and I'm going to thread it and suppress it also. I do all my own work so it only costs me my time. Here is the 995TS:

Attached Files:

10. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

Please post picks of the process, maybe a how to.

Most of us don't have a lathe, but it would still be fun to watch, and to see how you would attach a can

11. FlashBang

I don't always use the lathe when doing rifle barrels. I always use it for pistol barrels however. If you have good mechanical skills, take your time and are extremely detail oriented, you can thread your own barrel. The required cutters, dies, etc. will cost you some money, but you can use them more then once. It is very important that you use extreme caution if you are going to do it yourself; if the threads are not concentric to the bore you can have a baffle strike which is VERY VERY bad Ju Ju.
    I built an SKS Bullpup and documented it in another thread here.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f280/started-my-sks-bullpup-project-313739/

12. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

That was a good wright up. I've done enough tapping and thread cutting lately that I'm confident I could pull that off but how would I go about selecting thread size for a 995?

And where would you go to get the device to grind the barrel, and the annular cutter? Brownells?

13. Bmason_80

Bmason_80 Supporting Member

Just stating the obvious but wouldn't that require a longer barrel?

14. FlashBang

No, I am going to pull the factory barrel and thread it in the lathe. Once the threading is done I'll modify the slide to give me the clearance required to mount the adapter. When not using a suppressor I'll just remove the adapter. It should go quick and be an easy way to suppress it. I'm only doing it because someone told me it couldn't be done. :)

15. cicpup

Wasn't that me? Still think the slide will be short lived.

16. FlashBang

The common threading for a 9mm is 1/2x28.
    I'm not at my computer right now (using my ipad) so I don't have the link handy to my supplier. You can find the annular cutters from many sources, but you have to pay close attention to what you are ordering or you'll end up with the wrong size.

17. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

I've found a few In 15/32 but no pilot and it looks like it would be difficult to chuck up

And some guy. Selling one for $80 but they still make you buy a pilot...

18. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Can I send you my 4595 to thread, Flash?

19. FlashBang

Care to make a wager? :)

20. cicpup

Need help paying for your mistake? It could last for years. But I think the nub holding in the recoil spring will eventually fail you. Or slide wiggle will get ya.