Took my CCW class today.

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by elguapo, Oct 21, 2007.

1. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Very informative class. I learned alot about the distinction of crimes, situations, etc. I guess, the biggest clarification was where I could carry, how to react after a shooting. The shoot part was pretty easy: Took us longer to drive out to the desert to shoot, than it did to qualify. I went through 50 rounds pretty darn quickly. Granted, I never shoot my weapons dry (total of 22 rounds in the magazines) I had a full load of three mags left full of ammo.
    He is offering another "Advanced" class in a month or so, and I am thinking about going for that one as well.

2. unclerob

unclerob Member

Welcome to the AZ CCW club.

3. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

good for you, ccrry wisley

4. Newskate9

Newskate9 Well-Known Member

Congrats to you.

Input - I've taken every class our club offers and the least I got out of one course was some 1:1 time with two Marine instructors talking techniques and stories. That alone was worth the class. To me it's worth spending as much time as I can with folks who know more about handling / shooting, like LE and our military brothers and sisters.

5. billybybose

billybybose Guest

+1 az ccw club.My instructor was a dps guy.He said about carrying in a posted no gun zone like a mall or restaurant that if there is no problem no one will know but if there is a problem.....Anyway congrats homie!

6. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    congrats, I am glad that I got mine.

7. rimfirehunter

rimfirehunter Well-Known Member

elguapo,

Congrats! Carry wisely and be safe.

rimfirehunter

8. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

Good stuff Elguapo, what do you plan on making your primary sidearm? I am guessing the 1911 eh?

9. Ari

Ari Guest

Congrats!

10. Loopster

Loopster Well-Known Member

Way to go. Carry well, carry safely.

11. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Yes, the 1911. I have a Fobus paddle and twin mag paddle for it, and used it; I just have to get used to wearing them. Tommorrow, I send off the application packet and money, and by next monday I should have my card in the mail.

12. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

Good stuff bud! You should check out the CQC Serpa holster that Taurus and I both have. I love that damn thing. It's a paddle or belt mount holster, but will conceal nicely with a large shirt or jacket. With a T-shirt it prints too badly, so it wouldn't work that well.

13. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

14. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Thanks guys...it really is alot of responsibility. I liked the fact the whole feeling I got from everyone there attending, had thier head upon thier shoulders, and noone was smoking and joking like this was everyday things...

15. It's great once you get ur cwp. I got mine once i became an armed guard. Congrads rock on and stay safe.

16. FLA2760

FLA2760 Guest

Kudos on getting your CCW. 8) Have you decided on your main CCW piece? It's all good.

17. Newskate9

Newskate9 Well-Known Member

Hi, had another thought….. when I got my CCW, I sat on it for about a week. What? Me, carry a gun? Then I suited up my first time and then decided to carry unloaded for a bit cause I was nervous. I was also worried about printing - I was sure everyone saw me and the gun. After a bit, I carried loaded, but none in the chamber. After a bit more, I carry hot. And now, I carry pretty much relaxed. The biggest difference I see now, I’m more alert whether I’m loaded or not. It’s a great reminder to stay alert and ready no matter what.

So the point was for me……. The piece of paper was/is just that. It allowed my process to start and for me at least, it took about 2 months before I could say I was comfortable.

Best of luck and stay safe!

18. AGuyNamedMike

AGuyNamedMike Lifetime Supporter

And that alone will keep you safer than the vast majority of people.