Us arizona guys

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by steyraug223, Oct 29, 2007.

1. steyraug223

steyraug223 Guest

i was wondering who all is in arizona and where are you at? im in Casa Grande, the reason i ask is i wondered if people would like to go shoot, a collective high point firearm forum day. Also i saw on another thread that someone had heard that there is a range here in CG there is but it is unmonitored, so if there is 12-20 of us its not a problem but if its less then we will have to deal with other people in the shooting area.

2. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I drove by there twice on the way to work in Tucson yesterday. I am in Phoenix.

I was in the midst of setting something up for here in Phx, but life got in the way. I STILL want to set something up, as there are about five or so locally here (Ray H, Mike AZ, Z28driver,billybybose,dukersponk and others) Problem, where to shoot. I would rather a desert shoot, but still, need to get everyone interested, on the same page for it all.

3. neothespian

neothespian Well-Known Member

There used to be this AWESOME shooting area out by Florence Federal Prison. Had a great setup, was outdoors and fulfilled all the state wilderness shooting requirements, and it's kind of cool to be target shooting with the old Florence prison in the background....kind of surreal.

If you guys get a Phoenix date let me know. I'll figure out SOME way to get time to get down there!

4. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I would be thinking Ben Avery...due to the cost: Pretty inexpensive...Problem: Its not very fair drive for the southern AZ people... If anyone has any alternatives, or who is even interested, post here.

Neo, cool, will get back to you on what turns up.

5. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

Hell, if there's enough interest I might just have to take some leave and make the 8 hour trip just for the occasion. Of course, I'll bring all my toys... hopefully I'll have some rounds for my Desert Eagle reloaded by then and won't have to buy any new ones. At $35.00 a box of 20, it's getting ridiculous.

6. neothespian

Well I'm comming from Flagstaff. I have a little but sturdy Tracker 4 door, so I'm not adverse to car-pooling with other Northern Arizonans. Ben Avery would be choice since it's on the North side of Phoenix. Agreed about the Tuscon/Casa Grande/Yuma folks.....a bit of a drive for them.

Keep me posted!

7. neothespian

That would rock! The more the merrier. Phoenix is a pretty cool city to vacation in if you've never been here as a tourist.

8. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S.

I live in Coolidge and have been to that range in CG. This video was shot out there. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvI3PP8W4Lw[/ame] There is no rangemaster and it is free to use. There are about 10 tables out there, but it looked like they were building more. You have to bring your own target stands. They have several separate shooting lanes including a 300m rifle range. The last time I was out there, only the rifle range had tables.

9. elguapo

elguapo Guest

That is the place I was thinking: However, the lack of tables for the pistol range is not a biggie, but more a hindrance...
    Target stands is an issue as well.
    Lets see who intends to show up, and go from there. I will get with BA range and ask what the hows and whatnots for such a venture there...

10. neothespian

Damn.... that adds a few miles (about another 65). But, depending on when you guys want to do this I should still be game.

11. PrimalSeal

Target stands really aren't that hard to make. All you need is some 2x12's a skil saw and some nails. If you have some 2 inch square iron tubing, you can bolt that to the back of the stand to insert the target holder in. From there, you just make a square target holder with long legs on it out of 2x2's and staple cardboard over it. Shouldn't be that hard to make. Only if you have some spare lumber laying around.

12. PrimalSeal

Looks like a really great place to shoot. I like the berms all the way around the ranges, that way you don't get a stray bullet from a different range. Looks good.

13. elguapo

elguapo Guest

14. steyraug223

steyraug223 Guest

those berms don't do shit, honestly i've been downrange and heard the air being cut over my head. If we could get the numbers CG is a good place so we can hold onto one area. Also in one of the areas (the 300 yard range)there is tables and a reloading bench behind the line. I also have a pop up tent for shade if anyone is interested. Also with ben avery isn't there a time limit to how long you can shoot? I remember there being one. I don't mind any way its all good with me.

15. PrimalSeal

I just need you guys to give me a date at least 2 weeks in advance if I am going to take leave to make the trip ok?

16. unclerob

unclerob Member

Requesting status report.
    What say ye, "Handsome One", any more details??

17. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Was busy helping a friend with his engine t est stand trailor today...sorry, didnt call BA :(

18. unclerob

unclerob Member

How many have said they want to go?