vietnam pow's tapcode

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by Spot, Oct 26, 2007.

1. I found this on another board and thought it would be good to learn.
    Spot

I was listening to a speaker talk about the vietnam pow's tapcode. It's both
    simple and sophisticated. Check it out.

First, you drop the letter K. It's redundant and that makes a nice simple 25
    letters to work with. then you set up a matrix, to help your memory. the
    matrix goes like this.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | ... . . . ... ... .... .....
    -+---+---+---+---+---+ .... ... ..... .... ... .. . .
    1| A | B | C | D | E | ... ... .... . . ... ..... .
    -+---+---+---+---+---+ .... .... . . ..... ...
    2| F | G | H | I | J | ... . .... ... .... . ..... . ?
    -+---+---+---+---+---+
    3| L | M | N | O | P |
    -+---+---+---+---+---+
    4| Q | R | S | T | U |
    -+---+---+---+---+---+
    5| V | W | X | Y | Z |
    -+---+---+---+---+---+

It can also work as a visual. Touch left elbow, right elbow, left knee,
    right knee, rub head. Etc.

2. herrmannek

herrmannek Guest

Haha, cool! I've made a script to decipher the text :) to lazy to make coding script though :)

3. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

I would think that morse code would be more economical seeings how it is more likely that people you may need to contact would now it as it is universal. Also it is Printed on most two way radio's.

Also in a shtf situation you might want to be sure your code is understood by the recieving party and not took as jibberish and not takin seriouse. Besides. OPSECT IS LESS IMPROTANT THAN acually being able to comunicate. THE AVERAGE JOE CNNOT DEterman your location over the radio.

I hate the caps lock button.

Just My .02

Besides in Iraq we used motorola two way's alot. Comunicating is more important. Just be carefull what you say. IE position, size, equipment and and what your going to do.

But the hey hows john? Are you coming over? I need some more ammo . Or food.

4. herrmannek

herrmannek Guest

morse is more advanced and versatile, but this is easy to remember... you can see it once and be able to code and decode messages fairly easy especially if you have something to write the message down so you could process it later... You can't learn morse in 30seconds :)

5. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

How many people know Thiscode and have access to it or would even know to look for it.

6. billybybose

billybybose Guest

+1 on thays points but spots code would be the bomb for your shtf homies that way you'd have everyone on the same page.good one spot.

7. herrmannek

herrmannek Guest

8. Herrmannek !
    YOU ARE THE MAN !!! :D

9. Is this being presented as information everyone in the re-education camp should know?

10. eqfan592

eqfan592 Well-Known Member

Maybe I just got bit by the stupid bug, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the matrix, though I think this is probably in part due to the fact that my version of IE that I have here is older, so I don't know if it's displaying right.

11. herrmannek

herrmannek Guest

Youp forum destroyed layout of the matrix, look here
    http://www.smorfland.uni.wroc.pl/~herman/tap.php I've added little explanation to the page. Hope its clear enough. My english sucks at 11PM :)

12. eqfan592

eqfan592 Well-Known Member