WASR AKs

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Carpe_Jugulum, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Carpe_Jugulum

Carpe_Jugulum Well-Known Member

OK my budy stumbled across some nice priced WASRs. Do they have any odd little things I should look for?
    And do they use standard AK parts or are they like some SAIGAS where you have to get special stuff

2. Ridge

Ridge Well-Known Member

Whats the price hes seeing? Ive seen new ones for $400 a piece on a major supplier site...

3. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

WASR's take standard AK parts, they are built to the same specs as the original AK....

What kind of prices are you talking about?

4. Look for canted sights, substandard finish, shoddy wood, but otherwise, they are just a fine little AK.

Century did do some bad when they built them so they might not be as nice as a Yugo.

The main thing are the canted sights.

5. IndianasFinest

IndianasFinest Well-Known Member

Make sure the action functions smoothly as well. And like everyone else said look down the barrel and make sure everything is nice and straight.

6. Carpe_Jugulum

7. Those are good prices. I would buy them.

Even if it had a canted sight, for 250, it really can't be beat.

Single or double stack magwells? if they are single stack magwells, they can be opened up to doublestack (but they probably won't have the mag dimples).

8. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    Snag 'em!!
    Mine doesn't have the dimple, it has little plates spot welded inside... had, 1 fell out.

9. PrimalSeal

Jump all over those bad boys!

10. patriot2980

patriot2980 Well-Known Member

I've got 2 WASRs and they are fine guns. Obviously they're not going to be like $800-900 Arsenals but they are still fine guns.
    With the older WASRs you do have to watch out for canted sights but most of the ones out there now are fine.Also, make sure it takes double stack mags.That is the only way to go.
    My first one actually had some rough wood on it, but I did a little bit of sanding to smooth it out and with several, SEVERAL coats of Tru-oil, the wood turned out quite nice. They make good little project guns.

11. eqfan592

eqfan592 Well-Known Member

How does $299 w/ what looks to be a 30 rnd mag sound for a WASR 10?

12. Ridge

Ridge Well-Known Member

Buy me one, too!

13. eqfan592

eqfan592 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up :) I'm working the numbers on my budget right now to see if I can work it in. Problem is that I think my girl might bayonet me with my M44 if I DO get another gun this year. We'll have to see how it plays out :)

14. Play real hard on what happens if the SHTF, and what happens if the Democrats get into office . It works for me

15. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I just keep pushing the Democrat thing. Worked for the AR...

16. You know what is sad? I lean to the right and my wife leans to the left, and I still get guns when she looks at who the Democrats will have running in 08

17. boice1971

boice1971 Well-Known Member

Carpe, I don't know if you've made your decision yet, but I say definately get it. I just got one 2 days ago and love it. I broke mine down and cleaned it first thing b/c I read on a few AK forums that Century leaves metal shavings in the receiver when they grind out for the double stack mag. I had a few shavings in mine. But, I took it out today and emptied two mags flawlessly. Mine was $375 with 3 mags, bayonet, mag pouch, oil bottle, sling, and cleaning/tool kit.

Here she is!
    [​IMG]

18. Carpe_Jugulum

OK 1 more ?

My weasel buddy grabbed one, it's got the Dragunov style stock (WANT!!!)
    and came with 2 single stack 10rnd and 1 5rnd mag. He is sure this one only takes single stacks but everything I've read says Century widens all of the them to take doubles.
    Any ideas/info?

I want hi-cap (and a freakng drum mag) not this 5 & 10 stuff

BTW this is his first AK and he has done NO research on them.
    He uses me for that. (and he's still whining about the M44 he bought cause of me. :twisted: he thinks I didn't explain the kick enough)

19. PrimalSeal

Tell him to cry you a river, build you a bridge, and get the eff over it. Man up or go home... J/K of course

Mosins will separate the men from the boys though. Those darn Russians! :wink: