We need a Hi-Point FAQ section.

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Help' started by Maverick, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Maverick

Maverick Guest

Since this is the definitive Hi-Point information source on the web. We need a place to keep and easily find hard reference type information. I know some of this info you could probably find using multiple searches. However I still think week need a "Quick Reference" Desk... I think it should be in the very top spot/section. Then after people see the FAQ section they can move down and dive right into the rest of the forum.

Just a few of the FAQs we need would be:

Warranty Contact and proper shipping information.

Firing pin replacement detailed guide.
    (lets face it thats probably the #1 repair)

Take Down guide on the pistols and carbines.

ATI Stock Conversion Guide

How to polish the feed ramp.

How to tweak your mags.

Best ammo to use and/or ammo to avoid.

Mag Guide
    (what will work with what)

History of Hi-Point

2. Mumbles

Mumbles Guest

Great idea Mav. :idea:

3. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

A really good FAQ section would eliminate the need for the Newbie forum. We have already posted about all of those topics. If those of you can send that information to me, in whatever format, I'll work to get it posted up..

carpetcop24@yahoo.com

4. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Here's a FAQ

Q: My new pistol is making a rattling sound. Should I send it in for repair?

A: No. The rattling is perfectly normal. It's the "Drop Safety" and it has to be able to move freely in order to function properly. Don't shake the gun, and it won't rattle.

5. Mumbles

Mumbles Guest

Good idea, probably better than the newbie room. One more suggestion...a glossary of gun terms or a link to a good one?

6. PrimalSeal

4095fanatic
    Hi-Point Firearms Forum, Senior Scribe

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:51 am Post subject: Acronyms

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed some newbies here (and even some experienced folk) coming up with some trouble identifying the acronyms we commonly used. Thus, as a public service announcement, I am compiling a list here. Enjoy! And PM me if you need to add any (or have one of the admins edit the post). Please don't post acronyms below as I may miss them.

And here's is a list from thefiringline:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/faq.php?faq=acronyms_category

5-0. Pronounced "five oh", it is slang for "police".

BG: Bad Guy. "I heard a BG break into my house, and grabbed my C-9."

BOB: Bug Out Bag. A backpag/rucksack/alice pack that is kept stocked with food, ammo, survival supplies, etc. If a major disaster happens and you only have time to grab a few things, grabbing this will ensure you can survive for several days (at least). "I keep 300 rounds of 9mm, 15 MREs, a sleeping bag, and a collapsible tent in my BOB."

BOV: Bug Out Vehicle. Your escape vehicle if a disaster hits. "When Katrina hit, I jumped in my BOV and made tracks towards Texas."

BPAR: See PWAR.

BR: Battle Rifle.

BT: Black Talon. A JHP bullet manufactured by Winchester in the early 90's. Was labeled as a "cop killer" bullet, and among a flurry of media condemnation, was withdrawn. Now marketed as the "Ranger" line.

BTDT: Been There, Done That.

C-9. A pistol manufactured by Hi-Point. Compensated 9mm.

CCW: Concealed Carry Weapon.

CHP: Concealed Handgun Permit. See CWP.

CWB: Clinton Weapons Ban. See FWB.

CWP: Concealed Weapon Permit. See CHP.

C&R: Curios And Relics. A form of FFL license that only applies to certain firearms, such as those over 50 years old.

DAO: Double Action Only.

DOA: Dead On Arrival.

FA: Fully Automatic/Full Auto.

FFL: Federal Firearms License. A document required to be able to either purchase, receive, ship, possess, or otherwise engage in commerce with certain types of firearms. For example, only a FFL can sell and ship a pistol .
    FMJ: Full Metal Jacket. A bullet encased in a metal jacket, which enhances penetration at a cost of expansion.

FTE: Failure To Eject. Usually refers to a "stovepipe", where the extractor fails to properly eject a spent casing from the chamber.

FTF: Failure To Feed or Failure to Fire. In the case of a Failure to Feed, this is common in Hi-Points if you "limpwrist" the gun, as the slide may not compress the recoil spring far enough back as to allow a round to be stripped off the mag and into the chamber when the slide returns to battery. Also can mean Face To Face, which usually indicates a seller wanting to sell a gun to someone in person, as opposed to over the internet (see FFL).

GDHP: Gold Dot Hollow Point. Essentially, this is Speer's special version of the JHP.

HG: Hand Gun.

JHP: Jacketed Hollow Point. A bullet usually used for self-defense, as it expands in the target causing a larger wound channel.

JK: Just Kidding.

JSP: Jacketed Soft Point. A semi-jacketed round (the jacket does not extend to the tip), it has better penetration than a JHP, but less expansion. Conversely, it has less penetration than a FMJ, but better expansion. Not a very common round.

LG: Long Gun.

LMAO: Laughing My Rear Off.

LOL: Laughing Out Loud.

LR: Long Rifle.

MOA: Minute Of Accuracy. Used to describe how accurate a shot grouping a rifle can achieve.

OMG: Oh My Holyentity.

PBAR: Plastic Black Assault Rifle. Sometimes has the words re-arranged in other orders, such as Black Plastic Assault Rifle. Used to refer to military style weapons, such as the AR-15, usually by gun control advocates.

SA: Semi Automatic/Semi Auto.

SAO: Single Action Only.

SHTF: S*** Hits The Fan. Usually used by people to refer to what to do if a major disaster strikes, i.e. "If SHTF I'm heading for the hills with my 995". See BOB/BOV.

SKS: Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova. A russian semi-automatic carbine, often considered the predecessor to the AK-47.

SNS: Saturday Night Special. Usually refers to a "junk gun", i.e. a gun that is unreliable or of poor quality, yet available at a dirty cheap price.

S&W: Smith & Wesson. Gun manufacturer, this abbreviation is also commonly used when describing the .40 S&W caliber handgun round. May be referred to as "Short & Wimpy" by .45 purists.

TEOTWAWKI: The End Of The World As We Know It.

TFH: Tin Foil Hat. Often used to refer to those people who believe in government conspiracies against the general public, alien invasion, UN black helicopters, etc. It comes from the popular myth that by putting on a hat made of tin foil, you can block government/alien mind control rays.

TLDR: Too Long, Didn't Read. See BTDT.

Oh Well: What The F***. "GlockMan sold his GLOCK to buy a Beretta? Oh Well?"

Last edited by 4095fanatic on Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:17 am; edited 4 times in total

Mike_AZ
    Expert

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:59 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought FTF was used more often, at least on this site, to mean failure to feed.

Also face to face when talking about sales.

wolf_from_wv
    Expert

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:05 am Post subject:

DAO - Double action only

Mike_AZ
    Expert

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:08 am Post subject:

Darn, I missed this one.

PDPABAIMMT: Please don't post acronyms below as I may miss them

Maverick
    Distinguished Expert

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:39 am Post subject:

I feel like I'm watching that cell phone commercial.

mrmerriweather
    Senior Forum Member & Seer of the Link

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:56 am Post subject:

Here's my $0.02 worth (of "agreement"):

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/faq.php?faq=acronyms_category

Last edited by mrmerriweather on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total

GlockMan
    HI-Point Firearms Forum Administration

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:31 am Post subject:

Blasphemy!

4095fanatic

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:49 am Post subject:

*sigh* you take all my fun away lol.

taurus357
    Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:52 am Post subject:

DA can usually mean Double Action. As in DA .357 Mag Revolver.

Whittey
    Expert

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:03 am Post subject:

TLDR: Too Long, Didn't Read

-=Whittey=-

shooter z

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:47 pm Post subject:

GlockMan wrote:

Blasphemy!

Nope just means ya finally came to your senses

"Moral Courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent
    characteristic in men".
    -- General George S. Patton

Remember Pearl Harbor and Sept 11 2001 and NEVER forget!!

taurus357
    Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:36 pm Post subject:

shooter z wrote:
    GlockMan wrote:

Blasphemy!

OUUUCH

elguapo
    Hi-Point Firearms Forum, Hall of Fame

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:47 pm Post subject:

(getting the popcorn to watch this thread!)

.45acp
    HiPoint Forum Senior Contributing Member

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:18 pm Post subject:

shooter z wrote:
    GlockMan wrote:

Blasphemy!

Nah, if that we're the case he would have gotten a 1911

Democrats please post this on your rear bumper.

Republicans please post this on your front bumper.

GlockMan
    HI-Point Firearms Forum Administration

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:10 pm Post subject:

I would carry a "ROCK" before I would ever own or carry a Beretta. If Glock's never exsisted many others would not also (XD, S&W Sigma and M&P and a few others) as they are "Rip-offs" of the best combat handgun (9mm Wise) in the world. I would most likely carry a Sig P226 9mm or the Sig P220 .45acp

wkinden
    Hi-Point Forum Contributing Member

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:50 pm Post subject:

GlockMan wrote:

Blasphemy!

Wouldn't that signal TEOTWAWKI?

MpAhAh
    Expert

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:01 pm Post subject:

Whittey wrote:
    TLDR: Too Long, Didn't Read

, I love this one! Especially when it comes to some of Neo's posts! This tread should be stickied in the 'Welcome Aboard' section. I know I sure could've used it back when I joined. Would've save me hours of research.

Hpman
    Plinker

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:35 pm Post subject:

WDEKPCTHNTDWTOTOTT - "Why does everyone keep posting comments that have nothing to do with the original topic of the thread?"

WDYTUTSFBYSANT - "Why don't you try using the search function before you start a new thread?"

hpman

condition1
    Plinker

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:17 am Post subject: FYI

I sent a note to all my coworkers informing them, JSYK, just so you know, that I was sick to death of FYI messages

PrimalSeal
    Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:14 am Post subject:

GlockMan wrote:

Blasphemy!

Negative Sir GlockMan!!! I don't see how your delusion has to be our blasphemy? Heh... some people.... ;) :p
    Nor denied Victory. ~ Colonel Ben "Bull" Meecham, Fighter Pilot USMC

SPOT
    Distinguished Expert

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:25 pm Post subject:

Here is a couple of sites that have a lot of acronims .
    I hate political correctness in grammer , I get so mad that I don't know wheather to (defficate or go visually impared).
    Spot
    http://www.acronymfinder.com/

http://members.aol.com/nigthomas/alphabet.html

7. PrimalSeal

Now, if someone could consolidate that list into something smaller and coehesive, I'd appreciate it and will get it up in the FAQ section pronto. :D

8. Maverick

Maverick Guest

PM sent on that.

I think the FAQs should be locked as not to get all clogged up, thus defeating the concept as its a reference. If people want to discuss a FAQ subject they can/should post it in the appropriate section, and keep the FAQ lean and clean. (IMHO) :)

9. PrimalSeal

Thank you Maverick, I will get started on this as soon as I can. I have to work an Air Show this weekend, so we have jets coming in from all over the place and I am dead tired.