What Cold Blue should I use.

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by hipoint.nut, Nov 4, 2007.

Blue Wonder, or Brownells Oxpho-Blue?

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 1:28 AM.
  1. Oxpho-Blue

100.0%
  2. Blue Wonder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hipoint.nut

hipoint.nut Well-Known Member

I am strongly considering “Cold Bluing†my Makarov. The gun has a great deal of holster wear needs to be refinished. At first I was considering Parkerizing or Duracoat, but it doesn’t look like they comes out right without bead blasting, and I also want to try to maintain the factory blue look of the gun. I have been researching the processes for months now and I think I have a pretty good idea of what I am doing, just to be sure though I am going to try it out on an old shotgun of mine before striping my beloved Makarov. The Question I have for you guys is what Blue should I use, Blue Wonder, or Brownells Oxpho-Blue?

2. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

I have never used either of those products, so I can't advise you either way.

3. hipoint.nut

thanks anyway.

4. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

Have you done any research on either of these products? If so, just pick the one that will suit your needs the best with the least amount of work, mess, clean up etc. I am sure there is someone on the forum that has used these brands of cold blue, so someone will be able to help you out.

5. xlh883

xlh883 Member

Don't be a cheapskate, spend your money and have it professionally done, If you try home bluing you will just mess up the parts and will eventually end up sending the pistol out for rebluing. Trust me, Ive been there.

6. haven't used either one but i've heard good things about blue wonder. I have tried the birchwood casey stuff with marginal results. I also picked up a bottle of 44/40 blue that works pretty darn well for a cold blue.

7. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    I wasted my time and money on that Birchwood Casey stuff, and ended up with a sad damascus look. I decided to try the Dupli-color high temp engine paint, and theres no looking back for me, unless I have something professionally blued.

8. for an off the shelf cold blue(other than something like blue wonder) I'd recommend that 44/40 stuff. It'll blue your hands if you aren't careful!

9. hipoint.nut

So you would use Blue Wonder over 44/40?

10. Ari

Ari Guest

I have used the blue wonder. it was easy to use and looked good. How long it will last is yet to be seen.

11. Did the high temp paint work good ? Does it chip ?

12. adam

adam Well-Known Member

I think Oxpho-Blue is just awesome but its really up to you and how you want your gun to look. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder or something like that lol