Wildfires in SoCal

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 1inthechamber, Oct 22, 2007.

1. 1inthechamber

1inthechamber Well-Known Member

Originally being from SoCal, I feel for my fellow San Diegans. In the county, they have evacuated more than 250,000.

If anyone from SoCal is in the middle of this, stay safe.

EDITED: Spelling.

2. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member

I have some family down that way. So all SoCal peeps get my best wishes.

be safe.

3. PrimalSeal

PrimalSeal Well-Known Member

My brother lives in San Diego. He works on Miramar and is in the Navy. I haven't heard from him yet today, I tried to call him but he never answered....

4. Ridge

Ridge Well-Known Member

Im originally from the California desert, and have family in various parts of California, including in Topanga Canyon...they say the air is heavy and dark, but they are okay...

5. 1inthechamber

I know all about Miramar. :)

It's actually a Marine base now, the Navy is still near the bay.

Miramar is close to Scripps Ranch which from what I've read is also being evacuated and Miramar is surrounded by acres and acres of brush. I've seen first hand how quickly a fire can spread in that area. Hope your brother is safe.

6. PrimalSeal

If that area is being evacuated, then Miramar is being evaced as well most probably. I doubt the military is going to leave personnel on the base in harms way. That goes against everything I've learned in the Military. When Katrina hit, 99% of the people on Keesler AFB were evacuated to Sheppard AFB and other bases... I forget all of them right now... I am going to call my brother tomorrow and hopefully he answers his phone.

Oh, I forgot to add that my brother works on helos, mostly the guidance and electrical stuff, weapons etc. As the "Navy" owns all of the Marine birds, he works on those too. Right now, he's on Miramar teaching the Jarheads how to do his job. A Squid and a Jarhead.... a rough combo... :wink:

7. 1inthechamber

He might be at Qualcomm Stadium as that's where most people are heading to. I'm not sure what they did during the last fire though.

8. 1inthechamber

Primal, people are being told to stay off their cell phones, so I don't know if that's how you're trying to reach him or not. That was the latest I heard on the news.

9. billybybose

billybybose Guest

I was at national city as a little kid.I remember ashes falling like snow from a fire back in them days.The navy wont take chances with your bro Primal but conditions might be a little chaotic.Try to relax and give it a day or two.

10. PrimalSeal

Actually, yeah I was as that's all he's got. He does have a home phone number, but I can never get him on it, as he's never there. He works full time and goes to school full time as well.... So to say he's a busy man is an understatement. If I needed to know anything, I'd have heard it already.

11. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Well-Known Member

Got family in San Diego & Bonsal (sp?) they evacuated long before told to because smoke was pretty bad.

if anyone wants all the mundane details try entering an affected area code into weather.com they'll tell you everything thats going on, but only if they think you're in the area. otherwise you just get headlines.

same goes for Hurricane stuff down this way. family in CA got worried cause the news sensationalized their stories this year. Told them to try entering my Area code and they were a lot more relieved.

dont know CA area codes off hand, Look 'em up!

12. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

I have just one word for the Kali wildfires:

SW

13. eqfan592

eqfan592 Well-Known Member

A big "whatev" to that.

14. Ridge

Ridge Well-Known Member

How is it karma?

15. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I think he was saying that since they're communists, they are getting theirs... I could be wrong though. There's also the fact that the tree huggers have, for so long, been all up in arms, and not allowed any of the wooded areas to be thinned, or allowed them to burn when they could safely do so. Now it's just a tinderbox waiting to go up. Karma? No. But it is a result of bad decisions over an extended period of time.

We always joke about Kalifornia needing to drift off into the ocean, but I wouldn't ever wish someone to lose their homes... This is no laughing matter.

16. eqfan592

I think many places should look to the Menomonee Indians of Wisconsin for a great way to run a logging industry. They work their way from West to East, cutting down only the oldest trees in their forest, and leaving the younger ones. Once the reach the end of their reservation, they go back to the western side, and start all over again. By this time, the younger trees have grown older, and there are new younger trees where the old ones once were. They have one of the greenest forests in the world. In fact, you can see the reservation from space. An astronaut said it looked like a "green jewel."

Seems to be a great way to not only generate resources and revenue, but also keep the forest healthy and intact. Not sure if the same would work in Cali, but it still might be something they might want to look into. Now if only I could get somebody there to listen to me :wink:

EDIT: Sorry for the thread hijack. I tend to have an idea jump into my head and need to get it out ASAP, and usually in the process lose track of where it was I was saying it. Anyway, my heart goes out to those people in SD. I hope the weather changes soon so that this fire can finally be brought under control.

17. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Apprently alot of people dont understand what karma is. Kali's poor forest mangement is coming back to haunt them. For 30 years the tree huggers have prevented any kind of thinning of forest growth including the low brush and small short term growth that makes wildfires like these possible. You dont see large scale fires like this in states like oregon and washington where sensible forest management has allowed fires to be controlled and limited in size.

SW

18. eqfan592

As a "tree hugger" I would say I have a hard time believing that people were actually fighting against the underbrush being cleared in the forests. Then again, I don't live in Cali, so maybe they have a very different breed of "tree hugger" there :)