+1 loading?

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by Kyu, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

Hey all,
    So I am wondering if others have experimented with 8 (or 10) +1 loading. It works fine on my 380 but I find no reference to being able to do such a thing on the Hi-point website. Is loading the extra round in the chamber gunna cause problems? Do others do this?

cheers,
    Kyu

2. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

i dont simply because you get more feeding failures using +1 loadings. I always thought if ten rounds isnt enough, 11 probably isnt going to do it either.

SW

3. Bandit320

Bandit320 Member

Sure would be a bummer if it turned out that number 11 was really to one you needed. The worst things in the world: runway behind you, gas you didn't take, and the ammo you left at home.

Mike

4. urotu

urotu Member

It's my understanding that Hi-Points aren't supposed to be loaded like that. Once you load one,then drop the mag, it supposedly disables the gun from firing until you rack the slide again. I know my .45 was like that when I first bought it.

I had to send it in for service and after I got it back, I noticed I could though. So now I do.

5. Jagerbomber

Jagerbomber Guest

I reloaded mine with one in the chamber just last weekend when i got to shoot....I only did it once so i have no scientific data study to show it works well evertime, but the one time i did it the gun fired off everything perfectly as usual. No having to rack the slide again after popping the mag out either.

6. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

That was my thought. However, I hadn't tried it and figured the worst thing that would happen is that I would have to cycle in a new round. Tried it on 2 full mags with no problems. I just want to make sure it's not going to do damage. Can't see how it would but also don't wanna ship my 380 to Ohio for something completely stupid (and possibly dangerous)!

7. TnShooter83

TnShooter83 Guest

Personally I go 6+1 on the 8rnd. mags.
    Less spring tension, after 1.5 years of the +1
    all seems fine. And my C9 will fire after ejecting the mag, then
    reinserting the mag.....

Not sure if it is suposed to or not.
    But I like it that way........

8. Silicon Wolverine:
    i'm confused why you say it would cause feeding problems. once fired, the gun would eject the case and reload the next round in exactly the same way if it was after the +1 round or after the 9th round. what am i missing?

+1 on Bandit320

SEMPER PERATUS - BE PREPARED

9. Dreamthief

Dreamthief Senior Member Member

the reason I don't do it is for safety. in combat, that would be a different story, but concealed carry or a truck gun I would advise against it.

10. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

expierence. when you chamber a round, it edges the next one slightly farther forward in the mag resulsting in more reliable feeding. Ive had about six different C9s over the years and all of them would jam if you +1 loaded them. The only gun i own that would never jam on a +1 is my glock 17.

SW

11. Bandit320

Bandit320 Member

Well, I can't comment about the C9 since I don't have one, but I've never had one problem doing it with my H&K USP, Ruger P94, or IAI 1911.

Mike

12. Dreamthief

Dreamthief Senior Member Member

another thought...if you carry a revolver you don't have to worry about +1 loading :D lol jk

13. neothespian

neothespian Member

Hi-Point recommends that you do NOT carry chamber-live. I myself do not because many times when I do carry these days, it's because I'm going on a long distance motorcycle ride in the mountains and vibration is NOT good when you have a risky situation like that.

My advice is to heed the manufactuer's warnings. They built the thing, so I tend to believe they know a bit or two about what might happen. Better they experience it than I.

14. well, whether it's reliable or not, the safety issue i think is a good one to bring up. my walther p-1 has no problems loading the extra round in from a reliability standpoint. BUT it doesn't bother me having the round chambered because it has an external hammer i can lower. something without an external hammer makes me a lot more nervous, even with the safety on.