10/22-MG42 conversion with PICS

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Silicon Wolverine, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

OK the kit came today. The stock is two pieces and a bag of small parts.

[​IMG]

Afdter removing the stock and drifting out the original sights, the reciever slides into the butt assy and is retained by a pin through the recoil pin hole in the reciever.

[​IMG]

The forward barrel shroud slides over the barrel and front of the reciever and is retained with a screw that threads into the original stock screw hole.

[​IMG]

the rear sight is adjustable for elevation and mounts to the barrel shroud with two screws

[​IMG]

the only thing i dont like about the kit and the final step is to put a pin with two belville washers to hold in the mag release. Ill likely change this to a pan head 4-40 screw with a locknut.

[​IMG]

Overall the gun feels VERY solid and the stock was well constructed with almosyt no casting flash at all. The mag is just a littel wobbly but still locks in well. the ten round factory mag looks better but the 25 rd makes it look like something from a sci-fi movie. I did a few measurments and compared it to my reference books and it is about 75% of the size of the original MG-42.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall i rate this kit a 95% for looks, fit and finsih and ease of assy. It only took me about 20 min to install with only one hole that needed a small bit of filing. Ill be out of town for the rest of the week on buisness but ill try to get out to the range over the weekend and give her a try.

SW

2. That's a 22??????????? Man, that is sweet!

3. Silicon Wolverine

Its a 10/22 i bought back in 99' and since i missed out on the GSG-5 i decided to dress this one up a bit.

SW

4. that thing is niiice man. it looks like it would be freaking huge, is it?

5. Silicon Wolverine

nope. about four inches longer than a standard 10/22. handles real nice and balanced. It should be killer with a bipod.

SW

6. neothespian

neothespian Member

Now you just need the drum magazine and you've got the full look!!!

Nice design, and nice work on the install documentation.

7. Great "How To" info SW, thanks for the great post.

Do us all a favor, and get some video of you shooting that thing, I bet it's a lethal lil' thing, especially with a bipod like you said.

8. I have been thinking about one of those kits but wasn't sure. Now I might like to get one for my 10/22.

Oh wait, I don't have a 10/22, might be a good excuse to get one now!

9. Bipod and drum....oh yea, gigity

10. elguapo

elguapo Guest

That thing is cool!!!