10 years for a flintlock????

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by Hermitt, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

One good reason to not live in NJ......

[​IMG]

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...rs-in-prison-over-a-gun-but-not-just-any-gun/

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Didn't watch the whole vid as my ADD kicked in.
    Anyway, was it explained WHY he drove around with a flintlock in his glove compartment?

3. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I doubt it was to shoot anyone with..... :rolleyes:

4. Back2School

Back2School Member

Maybe he was carrying it into school to teach kids the kind of guns the 2nd amendment covers.

I mean it worked David Gregory, right?

5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

And where is Krispie Kreme the GOV? He could stop this with the stroke of a pen.

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    That's why he's in so much trouble. When the cop asked him that he said "Cause it's gangsta, Yo!".

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

1) Why should it matter?
    2) Due to the fact that the firearm was unloaded it couldn't have been any greater threat than an Oscar Trophy.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. Back2School

Back2School Member

Comon Kirk, you know the answers to these.
    1. You have to justify the need to practice a Constitutionally protected Right. Unless it is a made up right with no previous legal precedent that is currently politically popular.
    2. It is about as dangerous as that spent shell casing that puts people in jail in that state. Level of danger doesn't matter - all that matters is that its a symbol that needs to be eradicated. Kinda like a cross to some others.

9. Ironically in about 48 other states that isn't even considered a firearm.

Rightly so....

10. maybe because in his miserable liberal utopia that is what he is left with to protect himself with.

Why do you keep a JHP in your car?

11. Back2School

Back2School Member

Unless I am mistaken, its not considered a firearm at the federal level either - no NCIS BG check if it were bought new.

12. Rerun

Rerun Member

I am sooo glad I moved out of NJ.

You have to surrender Your fingerprints to buy an air rifle.

Slingshots are illegal.

One can own hollow point ammunition, just don't put them near a firearm of any kind.

eldar

13. you would be correct.
    of course with the BATFE doing what ever the hell they want lately, they may just change it for some kicks.

14. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I see stupid people. They walk around all day long and don't even know they are stupid :rolleyes:

15. Back2School

Back2School Member

Some of us know, we just like to pretend that you don't notice :p

16. Are they not illegal in NJ also...:(

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My reading of the NJ laws is that Oscar Trophies are only illegal if carried with the intention to be used as a weapon under the "Going Forth Armed" theory. ;)

The text of the law specifically mentions "bludgeons."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

FWIW, I believe this is a misunderstanding of the law, likely coupled with a later transcription error by a well-meaning but poorly informed clerk.

The NJ Law says,
    e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

Look at the list it's in with; "billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot."

It's not the child's toy, it's an improvised flail. It's a common misunderstanding.

And here's why I think the spelling "slingshot" is the work of a clerical error by a well-meaning but ill-informed transcriptionist. The 1912 rendition of the law renders it as "slungshot." With a "U."
    3. A person who attempts to use against another, or weapons'" who carries, or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slung-shot, billy, sand-club, sand-bag, metal knuckles, bludgeon, dagger, dirk, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, revolver, bomb or other high explosive, or any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon, with the intent to use the same unlawfully against another...

Some time between 1912 and now, the spelling got changed. Why? At the time, the term "slungshot" was commonly understood to be a improvised flail, you know, a rock-in-a-sock thing. But people stopped calling them "slungshot" and I'm betting some clerk thought he was doing a good deed by "fixing" the "spelling mistake" of the earlier generations. :p

Not that I think either thing should be illegal, nor am I betting some NJ cop wouldn't arrest you if you had a forked stick with rubber bands attached to the ends. <sigh>

Slungshot:
    Historic:
    [​IMG]

Modern:
    [​IMG]

Slingshot:
    [​IMG]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

I'm aware that a black powder muzzle loader is not considered a gun by the feds and in most states; however, this incident makes me wonder if the guy would also have been charged with felony gun possession, if the situation was that the guy had a toy gun in his glove compartment instead of an antique flintlock. After all a toy gun is called a gun and the charge doesn't say firearm or muzzle loader.