100+ rounds through my pro-mag 15 rounder with no jams.

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Oct - 2009)' started by Langford, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Langford

Langford Guest

Finally...after quite a bit of tweaking, my 15 round magazine actually works. It took a few hours with my dremel, and many different tries with some needle nose pliers, but it actually works now.

I couldn’t believe the amount of material I had to remove to get the piece of garbage just to fit into the ATI stock properly, and after that I had to play with the feed lips for a while to get them at the right angles.
    I modified the 10 round magazines to work a few months back without too much hassle, but surprisingly the 15 round magazine is different than those so it took even longer.

Well, Sunday a buddy and me went to our normal shooting place and I put about 150 rounds through my 995. Every other shot with the first 25 jammed up because I didn’t bend the feed lips yet, but I brought my pliers because I knew I was going to have to. I had already cut the plastic piece the night before while at home while I was doing the “sleeveâ€, so it just came down to a few different tries with the pliers to get the right angle.

I'm happy to say that it works great now. I went through a complete box of 100 Winchester target loads and didn’t have one jam up or any problems. I shot a few different ways just to test it out, on one try I put all 15 through the gun as fast as possible, on another I did a few bursts, and so on. Its funny, because now my buddy wants to pick up a hi-point carbine after I let him put 15 through mine as fast as he could.

I just wanted to post this and give hope to some of the other people who thought they wasted their money on a pro-mag…they can work. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not the first person to do this, I just wanted to post it again because I think it stinks that you have to put that much time into a product straight from the factory just to get it to work correctly.

Pictures to come shortly.

Just thought I would share,

Langford

2. neothespian

neothespian Member

That very promising!

The biggest trick is to narrow down the remanufacture process in order to duplicate it. If this can be duplicated, this will make a ton of hi-point owners very happy about the square paperweights sitting in their gunsafes.

3. I just took the one I did to the range today as well but it didnt work worth a crap. I forgot my pliers so I couldnt adjust the feed lips????

4. Langford

Langford Guest

Here are a few quick pictures, I can get some better ones using my tripod and macro lense if anybody needs some clearer ones....just specify what you want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What needs to be cut off of the sleeve to fit into a 995 with an ati stock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the cut follower and bent feed lips to allow the rounds to feed into the gun correctly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dont mind the ruff edges, I will go over it with a sanding bit in my dremel later this week, and re-paint the metal.....I didnt want to put a whole ton of time into it before I knew it worked.

5. Langford

Langford Guest

Yeah, definitely bring the pliers to the range....it took me quite a few different angles/bends to get it to feed correctly. Hopefully they dont bend back out after a lot of use.

6. Yeah I meant to and got into my bad then duhhhhhhhhhhh all I had was a screwdriver and that wasnt cutting it. If I could get some more clear shots of what you did to your follower that would be a great help!!!!!

Glad to hear you got your working so far

7. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

it looks very nice in place in the carbine.. too bad it requires work to function.

8. Langford

Langford Guest

Here are a few more shots of the follower and bent feed lips for the people who asked me to get better pictures.

I cant find my camera mount for my tripod, so I had to take these by hand....so they may be a little fuzzy still, sorry.

Anyway, its hard to see unless you hold an un-bent magazine next to this one, but the top of the feed lips are bent inward, and the tips are bent even further inward....all this does is keep the tip of the bullet facing on an upward angle when it is pushed forward by the slide...before you bend them, the bullets just nose dive when pushed forward causing the gun to jam.
    I just shaved off some material from the follower so it could go all the way up with the bent in feed lips, probably a lot more than was needed but I didnt want to remove too little and be stuck out at the range with no way to remove any more material from it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, please ignore the rough edges on everything...I still plan on going over everything with a sanding bit on my dremel to clean it all up.

9. Well I guess I will try it again, what the heck whats another 3 boxes of ammo spend on these darned things :)

Thanks Langford!

10. I've done a lot of work on my 15-rounder, but I haven't had the chance to test it since my mag release broke.

11. First off, I just got a 995 over Thanksgiving and so did my dad. We LOVE 'em!!

Anywho, both my dad and I purchased Pro-Mag 15rd and his works, mine jams every other round. I searched for the fixes people are mentioning and couldn't find any info.

Thanks in advance!!

Jim

12. Hey Jim welcome to the forum. There are a few people on here that have had mixed results with promags. I have had no luck... Let us know if you get her to work????

13. jbkorn

jbkorn Member

REup those pics please, im gonna pick up one of these suckers and try and make this thing work : )

14. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

15. Where did the pics go?

Where are you guys getting these mags?

None local and seem out of stock everywhere else.
    Thanks for any info.

16. jbkorn

jbkorn Member

ya no pro-mag 15 rounders are in stock ANYWHERE. i called pro-mag and they said a month or so, but i think they were just blowing me off.
    i really want to pick a few up and mod/ play with them before they all disappear.

17. kctgb

kctgb Guest

I just tried my 15 rounders and they worked perfectly. I didn't do anything but load 10 rounds in each mag and let them sit for three months. I didn't do any modifications to the feed lips. the springs are to strong and the rounds nose dive. Hope this helps all who are having problems with the 15 round mags.

KCTGB

18. jbkorn

jbkorn Member

just picked 2 of these up, they both chamber all 15 when i manually charge and clear them( idk what the proper term for that is)
    i cant go to the range yet
    but i pulled off the plastic cover at the bottom to get the mag to fit, is the plastic cover needed ?

also how much to take off to get the plastic cover to fit flush with the ati stock?

ya and as was already said pics are down : (

19. Langford: Thanks for the encouragement and writeup -- I'm hoping the pix come up soon. Please?

I bought one about six months ago, just before I moved, misplaced it, and after finding it again last week am ready to try it out. If we can get these to work, I'll be happy to buy more (listening, ProMag?)

Oh, and I carry pliers in my range bag as a matter of course :)

20. I would be curious as to the ones that work if the factory stock or ATI is used? Mine has the ATI

I got one of these 15rders and fooled and fooled with it.
    Got it to feed by hand but would nose dive under live fire and jam too much for me.
    Tried to duplicate factory contours but could not do it with what they had.
    Put it on the side of the bench for another day. :mad:

I got the bright idea to cut it off and duplicate the factory contours, so after looking at it for a while and some heating and bending I ended up with a mag that functions.
    In order to get good metal to make a new mag catch slot and new feed lips I ended up with an 11 rd. mag.
    I am going to have to look at it a little more to see if I can get another round or so in it by cutting the spring some more. I have since cleaned up the mag catch slot to look a little cleaner.
    Better than making a target out of it. :devilsidesmile:

[​IMG]