100 Yards

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by boicecf, Aug 23, 2015.

1. boicecf

boicecf Member

Is it possible to get anything resembling a grouping with a 995TS at 100 yards?? I was shooting another rifle on at the range (Savage Predator 11 .223) and decided to break out my Hi-Point....it looked like I was patterning a shotgun with 00 buck!!

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

If your a good shot, absolutely.

100 yards is pushing the effective limits of the handgun caliber carbines, but its certainly doable. And you can still be consistently accurate. A scope will definitely make it easier as will a rest, but if longer ranges. exaggerate your plan, frequently, there are much better options in firearms.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Pistol ammo at 100 yards is always a crapshoot compared to rifle ammo.

Here's why.

A rifle has, say, 30 grains of powder. You drop .1 grain, and that's .33 percent
    A pistol has, say, 6 grains. If you drop .1 grain, you are now at 1.67 percent, about 5 times more variation in powder proportions, which affects velocity, and thus is giving you 5 times more error on target.

So a 5 MOA pistol round is actually as good a result as a 1 MOA rifle round, statistically speaking.

And that's without considering sighting radius, barrel length, etc...;)

And I did those numbers in my head, so if I'm off...be nice.:p

5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

9mm should group fine at 100 yards if you do your part.

6. wingman

wingman Member

Two days ago I shot 8, 6 round groups at 100 yards. The groups varied from 3.5" to 9" with an average group size of 6". I was using a bench rest and a 3-9 scope. The scope was tight and installed on an aluminum upper rail. I also shoot 22, 223, and 308, all of which I can easily group under 2". Whether it is me, the rifle, the ammo I am using, or the best I can expect from 9 mm at 100 yards, I don't know. My next step is to start trying various 9 mm ammo to see if I can improve the results. Even if I can't improve the results at 100 yards, that is really not where I would expect to use the carbine. I would expect a range of 25 to 50 yards. That would mean a group size of 1.5"-3", which is good enough. I really like this carbine!

Shopfox likes this.
  7. talon

talon the banned wagon

A 6inch grouping at 100yds is very good with the carbine. Its a combination of all the things you mentioned as to why. The ammo and the rifle just aren't designed for long ranges.

Shopfox likes this.
  8. dlidster

dlidster Member

Experiment with different brands/types of ammunition. I shoot handloads only. I found that 124 gr plated round nose and 125 gr hard-cast round nose bullets (with the same powder charge, primer) produced produced open-hand-sized "groups" at 50 yards. The same load with 125 gr Blue Bullets (http://www.thebluebullets.com) produced two-inch groups at 50 yards. My 995 TS has a red dot sight, so doing this experiment at 100 yards probably wouldn't indicate what the gun is really capable of at that range. (Add to that the fact that I'm 72 and have had cataract surgery.)

9. boicecf

boicecf Member

My 995TS is similar...6X scope on alum rails...while I'm not the best shooter at the range I did put 2 out of 3 rounds thru a quarter ($.25) coin at 100 yards with my .223 a half an hour earlier. Ammo was questionable...I was shooting up some Russian 9mm that I picked up a couple of years ago.

10. you can not compare any 9mm carbine to a 223 rifle at 100 yards.the 223 is meant for long shots out to 200 yards plus so is expected to group well. A 9mm is meant for handguns and though carbines extend their range the bullets are not meant for long distance shooting. I have fun with my 995 TS at 25 yards.If i want to shoot accurate farther i grab my 223 or 243 You would have the same results with any 9mm carbine not just hi points.they just arent meant for that

11. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

6 inches or less is fine by me for the application.
    Some time ago, many folks had 2 guns, same ammo. They used them for most of their needs. They hunted "game", 4 legged and 2 legged, with their PC rifle/carbine. All those bigger rounds back then were in rifles that were not cheap for the average Joe. Many had the 2 guns, same ammo combo.
    Tons of both types of game were taken with PCC back then.
    If you look at the ballistics of the "old" pistol cartridges back then, the 9mm still bests most of them.
    The 44-40 was made in early 1870's was probably the most potent combo out there and the energy stats and accuracy info is quite interesting.
    Now those old carbines still had longer barrels and it would be interesting(to me), to see what a 22", or 24" barrel would do in regards to accuracy.
    At 16", I think if you can wring 6" or better, I'd be happy at 100 yrd.
    2 cents worth.:)

Shopfox likes this.
  12. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    THAT's More Like It!
    NUMBERS! Stick with what you're best at ;)
    Actually, I know your opinions are based on facts and numbers (usually:p)
    But I'm just a Mole that likes hard data and numbers :D

Same cataract surgery, @ 42 :eek:
    But I love the results!

13. boicecf

boicecf Member

You are correct about not comparing my 995TS to my Savage 11 Predator...the Savage with their Accu Trigger and floating barrel is in a whole different class...I do however, get a better grouping with my 75 year old Winchester Model 61 in 22LR than the HP at 100 yards, about 5-6 inches in light wind!

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    They sure built good rifles back then, didn't they!

15. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Go with a heavy grain bullet, 135, 147 etc. The heavier bullet has more dwell time in the barrel, which equals more accuracy. Stay away from lighter bullets for accuracy.