1000 yard ranges are the bee's knees, guys.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Branth, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Branth

Branth Member

So, I mentioned in a couple places that I'm in Oregon for the summer. Honestly, the best part so far has been that there's a 1000 yard range with steels set up nearby, so I bought a membership for a year even though I'll only be here a few months. This is the first time I've been able to get out past 200 yards, so I was finally able to test the bullet drop on the scope I got (Primary Arms 1-6X w/ ACSS reticle). On paper it looked like it should match within about 1MOA out to 800, with most shots within a half MOA.

I shot way better than I had any right to, given my nonexistent training, but I was more than happy with my groups. I had a few fliers, but was able to keep it under control for most shots. Winds were varying, and between 5-10MPH, and that had an effect on my shooting, but I tried to time my shots between gusts. I've attached targets from 400 and 500 yards, and they look pretty excellent! Each one was 5 shots, so the 400 yard one has one shot off paper and the 500 yard has one off paper and one way to the right.

Rifle was an Armalite Defender, 16" chrome-lined barrel, bone stock with the Primary Arms 1-6X optic, shooting Nosler 155gr Custom Comp bullets at 2650 fps.

To cap it all off, the guy next to me had an AR in 300 Blackout with a Gemtech suppressor on it, and let me put a few shots through it! It had a bipod, and I managed to put two shots just about through the same hole at 50 yards. I'm in love, and must get one eventually.

Attached Files:

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Crazy how little things, like your pulse, start affecting long shots.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Cool shooting there Branth!
    I'd need a 16x scope for those distances.
    Hopefully this summer I can get to a 400-500 yards range in Fl somewhere.

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Nice work, Branth. That's pretty impressive for a first-time go at those distances. Imagine how much better you can get with a few more trips out there. It's too bad that you won't be able to have access to the same distances when you finish the internship.

5. Branth

Branth Member

Yeah, I'd better get in all the shooting I can over the summer.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Bees Knees? How's about Finer than Frog Hair? :D
    Good Shootin', Branth!

7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Branth that is so cool. Go as often as you can and enjoy it. You are now forgiven for not posting every now and then.

8. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Branth .. That's some awesome shooting especially with a 16" barrel from that distance . I've got a outdoor range about 60 miles North of me where you've got more than enough room for 2700 yrd attempts . I've gone out to 1150 yards with my Savage .308 and had an awesome time . I used a 20 moa scope mount and a 6-24x50 scope and still had some hold over to contend with

Again congrats on those groupings from the 1k yrs range

9. USMC_VET

You would be wanting a 6-24x50 scope for 1k yards as that scope magnification is specifically designed for that distance . Also using a 20moa scope base so you don't have to contend with hold over

10. undeRGRound

INDY
    Hey 'Vet, would that 6-24x50 be too much for the
    long barrel setup I was asking about in my thread?

11. USMC_VET

My Leupold scope is 15.25" long for the optic itself , I also use a 5" sun shade so total length is just over 20" . It fits with no issues on my Savage .308

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    I meant in the magnification department.
    I'll take that as a NO...
    I'd rather have too much magnification as opposed to not enough ;)

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    Length sounds OK, even with the sun shade. Prolly get a shorter one too...

14. USMC_VET

There's more than enough magnification with this scope , let's just say at 200 yards and the scope set at 24x and the paralax set its like your within 5' of the target . At that 200 yrd distance I was hitting a 6" dia metal gong ea and every time I pulled the trigger

At distances over 500 yards the target gets smaller but you're able to still see it with that scope

15. Branth

Branth Member

Took it out again today, this time shooting Nosler 150gr Ballistic Tips at 2600fps. Results were excellent! At 600 yards, the bullet drop compensation was dead nuts, and 7/10 shots were within about 5 inches of each other vertically. They were strung out horizontally by approximately seven miles, but there were varying wind conditions that I didn't even try to compensate for.

Here's a pic. Ignore the white box, I took my load data out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  16. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Glad your having fun brother

17. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

very cool B!...... wont be too long, you'll figure out what your limits, and the guns limits are.

18. undeRGRound

INDY
    I need a 1,ooo yard range :(
    I'd settle for 100 on site! But I can easily and safely go 50 yards :D
    With a little work, get it up to 100 maybe...

19. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

That's why you shoot between beats. ;)

20. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Branth.... to get the most out of that weapon you will need to hand roll rounds tailored specifically to it for jump, powder etc.; but for commercial off the shelf ammo you are doing very well.